Cyberpunk 2077 - CDProjekt's New Joint

That’s mostly about the software, which does live on. Nowadays pretty much every controller is a Steam Controller!

For PC games via controller, I liked the big touch pads on the Steam controller, which I don’t think are common in other controllers.

For console games, the standard twin sticks are much better - Steam controller’s touch pads were a nuisance in those cases.

I agree with @AK_Icebear. The big advancement that the Steam controller provided was the touch pads which allowed playing games originally designed for use with a mouse to transition nicely to a controller.

The PS4 controller has a big touchpad, which you can configure as mouse input in the Steam config software.

Turns out Keanu never played the game he starred in after all… this despite the guys at CD Projekt claiming he did.

How will CD Projekt ever recover from this scandal?!?

They did tell their investors that he did, which is probably not something they should have done.

Okay, that’s true, but it seems pretty awkwardly placed to use as a regular mouse controller. I’m trying to remember what I’ve seen it used for, and IIRC it’s mostly just quick shortcuts for getting to specific screens — e.g., flick left to open up the inventory, flick right to go to the map screen. It seems like it would be really painfully placed to use as the main input to control the game.

This reminded me of a delightful video you could unlock in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers videogame (I played it on PS2) where John Rhys-Davies actually plays and seems to enjoy the video game. The clip on YouTube I found I guess came from a Korean version of the game, but the audio is all in English.

I expect most Hollywood actors to be more like Viggo Mortensen and Keanu where they just watch some sample or a demonstration.

Keanu is too Gen X not to be self conscious playing games for nerds. Henry Cavill is just about Millennial enough to be that games are cool.

At Yahoo I interviewed a lot of celebs in connection with their tie in games. They almost universally didn’t seem to have any actual interest in games. Excepting Vin Diesel, who clearly loves games, I think David Hasselhoff of all of them may have displayed the most genuine enthusiasm.

You realize many (perhaps the majority) of the people talking about games around here are actually Gen X, right?

Sure, he’s not saying there weren’t gamers in Gen X, but in Gen X it was a clearer division, there were gamers and there was everyone else. It’s becoming a more universal experience every year.

At least I think that’s what he’s saying.

That’s cool! What games was the 'Hoff promoting or excited about?

I’m guessing some NIGHTRIDER games?

Damn, imagine a Knight Rider game in the GTA5 engine.

From my experiences with students, who mostly now are people born in this century, playing games is such a mainstream activity across so many platforms that many folks who we would have thought of as “gamers” a few decades ago don’t consider themselves gamers any more than I would consider myself a “computer nerd” simply because I have/use computers. Back in the early 80s, yeah, having computers was fringe, just like gaming was for a long time. But now, it’s so much a part of the background that people game all the time but don’t consider themselves gamers, or even express that much excitement about it. More like the engagement people have for any number of ordinary but pleasant things/activities in their lives.

I think it was this:

He was one of the parodied celebs and decided to roll with it, I gather.

But we’re nerds.

Fair enough. ;)