Cyberpunk 2077 - CDProjekt's New Joint

Why would fast guns be useless? Are SMGs useless in real life? They have their place. Just not against enemies wearing full battle armor.

Who knows if enemies even wear armor? I was talking about your character.

I’m good with whatever system if the game tells me how it works in a tooltip, so I don’t play for 20 hours before realizing that it has almost no effect on how I’m playing.

Yes, at very least, give me that.

I think what @stusser is getting at is the tendency of games to have automatic weapons do less damage per shot than single-shot weapons, to make up for the volume of fire and equalize things. This is of course ludicrous, because a bullet is a bullet is a bullet, all things being more or less equal. A 9mm round fired from a Glock is not more powerful than the exact same cartridge fired from an Uzi, say, but in a game, the Uzi will do like, to pick a random value, 10pts per bullet, while the Glock will do 20 pts per bullet, but fire half as fast or something. The numbers equal out over time but anything mitigating damage based on per-bullet values will hit the Uzi a lot harder.

Automatic weapons though are more effective in real life than single-shot weapons, assuming you hit with most shots. That’s the whole point, really. But in a game, where they want to preserve some sort of (often very artificial) variety and different ways to build your character, developers feel the need to equalize everything. Same with ranged vs melee really. There’s a reason armies today used ranged weapons almost exclusively, but applying that logic to a game cuts out a whole slew of player-archetype tropes.

Very well put. Gameplay comes first, and if pistols were just plain worse than Uzis, why bother putting pistols in the game at all?

Flip side, automatic weapons are much worse, because only the first shot hits anything and now you’ve wasted a bunch of bullets on nothing. We went from single shot autos to full auto to burst auto back to single shots for a reason. It’s different for an assumed close range encounter without armor, then a bunch of medium-aimed (and by that I mean the people who use them can more or less keep all the bullets in a coke can at 20 feet) guns make sense, but that’s more law enforcement than military. The military engages at long distances 99% of the time and they want single bullet effect rather than spray and pray. Marines don’t really practice inside of 100 yards, for example. Poke your head up, make a shot that counts, get the hell back into cover, repeat.

Now, true automatic weapons, aka light squad automatics like the SAW and emplaced autos like the M2, those are used for entirely different purposes. They carry the weight and require squads to service, so a different thing.

All true, but the central fact is that the round does the same damage, assuming same velocity, etc. whether it’s one of N or a single shot. Even in the case of single shot or burst firing military rifles, this is true. There’s also suppression, which few games model–all those rounds down range from automatic weapons keep heads down at the very least.

It’s just a matter of gameplay, really, because “realism” isn’t much fun usually.

What 20 INT looks like

What 20 COOL looks like

Playing around with this again and I had forgotten how (relatively) quickly the point of no return mission comes up if you aren’t actively trying to avoid it. I have been futzing around and am like level 28 or so and have quite a few side jobs and gigs to do, and it’s already on deck.

Even though the game, for the most part, does not really enforce any sense of urgency or present you with hard deadlines, the way the quests are done and the tone of the phone calls, etc. really makes me fret. My way of playing this sort of game is usually to follow each quest to the end then do another one, but here I have to bounce around a lot to prevent things from accelerating too fast towards the end.

And man, on Hard even you get no protection from armor it seems. Yowza.

Yeah, it’s pretty wild, it really comes out of nowhere narratively.

Character you’ve spoken to once: “V, come get lunch with me, we need to go over next steps.”
When you get there: “Warning; Entering this upscale cafe will end your game.”

See, they should have taken V’s advice and gone to Chubby Buffalo or whatever.

The way the game chunks you back into the game world right at that point of no return after you get whatever ending you managed is also somewhat unsatisfying. At the very least it would have been nice if they removed the damn relic and zeroed out the related material and let you just be a merc from there on.

I thought driving was supposed to have been patched in the last (or one of the previous?) patch? It still feels as bad as ever. Maybe I’m missing some kind of setting like in Witcher 3, with alternate movement mode.

Performance improvements aren’t that great either, on ultra with no RT and DLSS on Quality I’m averaging 65-70 in the city on a 3060 ti at 1440p. Could swear it was actually better when the game released…but that’s a minor nitpick, because the game still looks damn good without RT, and anything 60+ is completely acceptable.

Beyond that, I’m quite happy I rolled a female V this time, the VO is so much better - I don’t know if CDPR told the dude to suck on purpose or that’s just his shtick, but when it comes to big budget games that was probably some of the worst VO for a main character I’ve ever seen.

Agree, I’m not a fan of the male protagonist actor’s performance in this game. Driving is supposed to be much better, and the map pulls back when you’re driving too.

It feels great to me, but then again, it always has. Not with every car obviously. Using a controller though.

I’m on KBM, and I’ve only tried the starter vehicle so far. But the game still uses the ‘inertia’ system for turning even with KBM (the longer you press directional button, the more the tires will turn, feels very analogue which is quite an achievement on kbm, I must say). Either way, end result is as awkward as pre-patch.

I mean… how is driving supposed to work with a keyboard?

Motorcycles. The cars are damned near undrivable with M&K, but motorcycles are pretty good . . . er, tolerable. You just have to Scandinavian flick around corners with the spacebar if you’re carrying any speed. One car that did seem to drive pretty good was the Batmobile.

I’m on my second Hard playthrough, this time I’m going Reflexes-Body for a change of pace. Armor is still useless, though the mitigation seems to be helping a bit from Reflexes.

It’s much better than in most games, because the time spent holding the directional input directly influences how far the tires will turn, essentially turning what would essentially be a digital (binary) input into an analogue one.