Cyberpunk 2077 - CDProjekt's New Joint

On the PC version, I notice there’s no sound at all with the first title screen on game startup, unlike with the Xbox version. Is that a new bug or has it always been that way?

That title was only added in 1.5 afaik and it never had sound.

Did something recently happen to generate all this activity and interest in Cyberpunk 2077? I read the patch notes and it didn’t seem like anything earth shattering was in them. It was not like a NMS update where they add a bunch of new shit to the game.

Just coincidence personally that I started playing for the first time a month ago. Maybe the anime generated renewed interest?

The (very good) anime based on the game just released on Netflix?

Indeed, and I didn’t even know it existed!

I always have liked the basic gameplay loop and the environment, so with a new machine and the new patch I fired it up again. Having explored all or most of the endings by this point I generally just tool around doing stuff and exploring new builds or tactics, not paying a huge amount of attention to the plot.

I think it’s a combo of things. The anime on Netflix (which, btw, there’s been an ongoing discussion of in the TV forum for a bit), the patch that came out concurrent with that anime, which also showed up with one of their “Night City Wire” streams that announced the drop of the mod tools and the announcement of a proper expansion.

So all of that helped because it was all pretty well-received.

But add to that: 3xxxx GPUs are now within the budget of more gamers over the past 6 months than they’ve ever been, and so a lot of folks playing on PC are building/upgrading gaming rigs to take advantage of pricing. And also, PS5s and Xbox Series X/S consoles are also a lot easier to find at MSRP now than they were when the game originally dropped, so folks are able to play it on next gen consoles now, too.

A nice set of events. More gradual in redemption than NMS, but CDPR clearly making an effort to make the game an enjoyable experience, even if it is unlikely to ever fully meet all pre-release hype and promises.

Huh, funny, I didn’t even realize that the Netflix show was related to the game, figured it was coincidental. Goes to show how much the game made an impact with me; I still haven’t made it back to it on the PS5.

I haven’t quite finished either the game or the anime, but as far as I can tell there’s no narrative overlap, but it is absolutely an anime about the game. Some locations show up in both and look exactly the same, right down to some game NPCs visible in the background on the show, and the “UI” of the show is identical to the way it’s presented in the game.

But the show is about its own characters, not V or any other game characters.

The Edgerunners show takes place in 2076, about a year before the game.

I finished it and it is very good. I also watched the supremely hyped Cowboy Bebop earlier this year, and I had way more fun with Edgerunners. Of course, it helps that it has quite a fast pace and no filler whatsoever. It packs an emotional punch. And it made me want to replay the game a lot, but I will wait for the expansion.

Wouldn’t mind getting season 2 about different characters, and hell, perhaps even different location, Cyberpunk universe should be bigger than just NC.

Back to cross-platform saves, the huge drag is that they only go from console to PC and not vice-versa…the reason being that going from a more restrictive to a less restrictive platform is OK but not the reverse.* So be ready to either fork your playthrough as of the point you start playing on PC and continue it on both platforms independently, or abandon the console one entirely.

*despite the official lack of support, when I was futzing around trying to get my Xbox saves to show up in my GOG PC version, a playthrough I started on PC as a Nomad, going with the default male character model, showed up fine on the console as of the moment after the initial rescue where you meet Jackie in front of your building for tacos or whatever. None since, however.

Are there any must have mods out there now that mod tools have been released?

Ohhhhhh…

Also, sorry, didn’t mean to step on @soondifferent’s post, and color me interested in any such must-have mods as well!

Are RTX Overdrive and DLSS 3.0 for last generation cards too, or only the upcoming 40xx?

Per people in the Twitter thread, it’s only for 4xxx cards.

Thanks - sorry to read that!

I’m otherwise happy with my 3060 Ti, although maybe there’s an argument for upgrading every 1-2 cycles while resale value on the old card is still decent. My past upgrade cycle was around 5 years!

Are access points supposed to be rare or am I just not spotting them? I think I’ve only run into two or three in a 20 hour game so far.

Also, what does ping do for me besides maybe show other baddies/devices momentarily? Does it let me navigate to someone/something I can’t see directly and hack them or is that functionality reserved for cameras?

I shifted away from hacking completely early on, but Ping was good for locating access points. It briefly highlights everything (or at least a lot of things), but if cameras–for example–were connected into an access point somewhere, after the brief illumination of everything, there would be a second short effect where the “matrix” effect would show a bunch of glowy lines all converging on the access point.

Possible there’s more to it that I didn’t get into once I ditched that for a sandevistan.

Ping can locate all the bad guys in an area so you can know where to shoot/hack/whatever I guess. Access points are all over the place, often behind boxes on shelves and stuff.