Cyberpunk 2077 - CDProjekt's New Joint

Got into a shoot-out last night and thought there was a bug because one of the enemies was zipping around weirdly fast. Then I heard the sound effect and realized it was a feature, not a bug. Very cool.

That sounds fun. I’m trying to determine what the fun builds are. I don’t want first person melee.

I don’t know slowing down time and zipping around cutting off heads is pretty damn fun. I’m sure I could pull off some totally sick moves if I wasn’t inept. :) There as so many different builds that you could do. Smart gun expert… Hacker who using the environment. Shotgun builds… Stealth ninja.

My next build will be more around hacking as I have like 4 points in intel. I’m focused totally on being a sword dealing madman. You could also go blunt which has different perks. Knife throwing which I haven’t tried.

It’s absolutely insane how ‘addictive’ it is. “Just one more NCPD encounter, just one more gig”, etc. It’s the sheer gameplay smoothness and enjoyment that I get out of it that drives this for me. It’s one of those games that are legit fun playing with different builds despite going through the same content.

And that alone honestly would’ve been good enough for me, like a really solid ARPG, but then you get absolutely stunning visuals and gripping story encounters on top and it’s just insane.

I don’t know how, but the Polish madmen did it.

Hands down one of the most enjoyable games I have ever played, and if you told me at launch I’d be saying this down the line I’d call you crazy.

Agreed. Few games have drawn me in as this one has. Night City has such as sense of place, maybe more than any other open world city I’ve been in, and it’s just full of stuff to do, I wanna do all of it.

Can confirm, I took shotguns as well. I actually just spec’d off air dash (while keeping dash) in favor of going str and tech so I could go full on cyberpsycho by filling my body with chrome. Both are absolutely working on very hard mode, which really isn’t that hard, at least with shotguns. Right now I only have issues when I overextend and run out of stamina before getting back into cover.

I loved playing through this game the first time with a net runner build, but it was wildly overpowered and made the game a bit boring. 2.0 changed all that around and it’s now challenging enough that I have to constantly dodge grenades, psychos using slow time, and getting hacked myself. Having a grand old time just doing side gigs.

You’re crazy. ;)

But honestly though, it isn’t that different than launch as far as I can recall, it was a great game even back then that got caught up in a social media slagfest. Then again, I had nice things to say about Redfall, so maybe I’m the type of gamer that likes taking in wounded animals.

I disagree it was so totally broken and the systems so complicated that it was very hard to get into. It deserved all the crap that it got in the beginning. I tried so many times even with 1.6 and kept on deflecting off the overly complicated systems they had in place and the terrible performance the game had. And now with 2.0 I’m totally hooked and even with an older rig it’s running really well even with RT on.

I was just surprised how ‘out of control’ it felt to use guns in 2077 after such a long time. I realize it was probably perks and stats that makes guns more effective, but the vanilla gun control was kind of wildly inaccurate.

Do you turn HDR on/off on PC/Windows11? Black levels seem off (says the internet; black is grey on an OLED and even I can tell) and the general impression asks for tweaking. SDR on the contrary seems fine. But then it’s missing the HDR-marvel. I am not sure what I like better: solid SDR where black is black or slightly off HDR. What’s your impression?

I’ve never had a lot of luck with HDR in Windows, but I’m still on Windows 10. With it off the game still has more than enough pop where I don’t really think it’s needed. I don’t have an OLED though.

I had considered upgrading to an OLED TV, but where I would place it would have way too many reflections if it was a glossy tv screen.

I think you may have been trying to use a smart gun without a smart link. They will tend to arch bullets because their trajectory will change to home in on locked-on targets.

Have you tried playing with the in-game HDR settings menu? In particular, the tone-mapping midpoint setting seems to control the “floor” for the black levels. I turned it down to 0.5 from the default 2, and the difference is massive.

I don’t know how to calibrate it properly though, there’s no equivalent of the gamma calibration image.

I officially hate this UI. Keybinds that don’t show up and you can’t change…drives me nuts. I’ve rebound my movement keys to RFDG since Doom was on BBS, the )(&)(& R key being hardwired to pick up and equip weapons is killing me, literally. Guess I’ll have to dig into the config file and see if I can hard change them, but there is just no excuse in 2023 to have keybinds you can’t change or turn off.

So I had Phantom Liberty just show up in my jobs list.

Seems kind of anticlimactic.

Don’t I have to get the quest from somebody?

It popped up as a job via a call for me. I’m guessing you were already past the one mission when you installed. It flowed right into the game for me.

I didn’t think I’d want it either but seem to be gravitating that way this time… it’s basically Lightsaber and Force powers… :)

HDR on all the way on the OLED TV, as it’s pretty glorious! Lower the tone mapping midpoint to get it a bit blacker than default.

Any changes in the romance options in 2.0?

They still haven’t figured out a way to select dialogue options on a keyboard after 3 years, huh?

Just started the thing, and it’s anything but anticlimactic. Pretty much a non-stop adrenaline rush so far. Though I have to say it’s pushing my 3070 to its limits I think. The change from plain Pacifica to Dogtown was brutal.