Cyberpunk 2077 - CDProjekt's New Joint

Yea, maybe for another thread, but there’s very little proof and a lot of hearsay about how insecure Windows 7 has magically become just because it is out of “support” from Microsoft. In terms of securing a device for ‘average joe’ it really shouldn’t be anything but a dumb tablet connecting to facebook.

So: I see they now selling CP2077 in the Epic store. Clock ticking on when it becomes an Epic Store Exclusive with DRM?

No. These guys are basically joined at the hip with GOG, and they have been very outspoken regarding DRM in the past, iirc. That said, it will surely be available in the EPIC store, so is The Witcher 3, but it won’t be exclusive to any one platform for PC. Hell, my own pre-order is through GOG and has been for the better part of a year at this point.

CDPR owns GOG.

CDP have been building their “DRM-free is the best” reputation for 20 years and have around 150 million in the bank with zero debt. I doubt there is any amount of moneyhats Tim Sweeney could offer them that would convince them to throw their reputation into the shitter.

That doesn’t stop people from making up outrageous claims here on the internet, though!

Oh, come on. They were distributing “DRM free” games long before that.

GOG started in 2008 afaik, and their retail distro in 1994. But since I am not 100% sure if their retail boxes were DRM-free, I rounded it to 20 years.

I’m talking about the background of the founders as sellers of cracked illegal software

Technically… CD Projeckt owns GoG, CD Projeckt Red (CDPR) is the game studio also owned by CD Projeckt. :)

Oh, ok, cool. Not exactly relevant, but as a joke, fair enough.

ckt? :)

Ooops! No ‘c’. :)

Pretty sure ‘CD Projeckt’ is a King Crimson album.

I get that marketing send swag to partners they feel can boost their product. It’s a thing back to the Fuller Brush era. This just seems kind of gross.

They send some favored streamers a Cyberpunk chair. Because, I guess this game will miss some iota of hype if they didn’t do this?

I’m not sure I follow what’s particularly gross about it. The local bank has advertisements near the court during basketball games, I’ve never thought of that as gross and I don’t see this as any different?

Because I guarantee these same streamers will be doing previews, reviews, and exhorting their audience to buy the game.

Oh I get you now, thanks.

And I wanna be clear. I’m sure shilling for CDPR is pretty low risk, right? I doubt Cyberpunk is going to be some kind of train wreck product.

I’ve just always felt these kinds of things, including flying reviewers out to racing schools and letting them burn rubber on a test track to “let them compare the experience” with the upcoming racing game, or sending reviewers free gift boxes are all just blech.

I mean, a let’s play that isn’t by Tom Chick and goes more than a few hours is pretty much that, anyway. At least if the person doing the shilling is sitting in a Cyberpunk chair, you know where they’re coming from.

Yeah, I’m not sure this is what I’d call money well spent, but it doesn’t seem vile or anything. They are giving them a product they hope will be on camera for hours a day to lots of people.

I wouldn’t say “vile” either. On the moral scale of issues, I worry about a lot of other things before this. Swag for influencers/reviewers has been a thing forever.