DON'T GIVE UP, an RPG I made inspired by 2 years of depression and my anti-social nature comes to Switch 4/8/2021!

This has a giant butt-slam. It gets a +1 from me so far.

Ug, I realized that you literally posted this exact same post text other places on the internet, like Reddit.

That’s gross, dude.

I’m pretty sure my first post here, after vetting by Tom, was some pronouncement about how something sucked. And then I was slapped down soundly by various forum members. We learn. We grow. Hopefully.

I generally do a quick other-forum search when one of our budding game developers comes out to the Qt3 community, but I apologize that I didn’t do my due diligence this time.

Working as intended.

Hey, the whole reason I even signed up for an account here was so I could argue with Raph Koster. This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco. This ain’t no foolin’ around.

It’s all part of the friendship ritual, buddy, pal. Gimme five, put ‘er there old chum. Wait not in a fist formation!

I suffer from depression, too, but have no game to shill. :(

Someone here needs to gift you RPG Maker.

Is that like the Adventure Construction Set?

yes, but with anime characters and top down style only. As far as I can tell, anyways.

I threw my little brother in so much lava back in my day.

I have been thinking a lot about the world we live in. It seems marked by two things: the humanity distrust for science and the failure of the big utopias.

We tried fascism, and it failed. We tried comunism and it failed. We tried capitalism and it failed. Science got us two World Wars and instead of using our new skills to make the world a better place, we got nuclear bombs, a way to eradicate life from the planet. Thats how humanity feel: nothing to grasp his hands.

So part of humanity is retreating into caves. Religion. Nationalism. Other isms. Other are retreating into themselves. Selfies. Social networks.

We have the post-truth. A social illness where people reject science conventions and believe in whatever they want to believe. Anti-vex retards, anti-climate change idiots. Idiots scared of wifi.

Our society is very very ill. And imho need something to believe. In a era where we have proff that nothing is really solid, everything is relative.

I am thinking in writing a videogame to fix this, to heal humanity. To restore humanity in a path of hope and values.

I can do something, but I don’t know if will make things worse.

Can a videogame heal humanity, even?

Inspired by this I am starting to create a web based MMO rpg game, where you play as Don Quixote/somebody that escape from asylum. The class are hacker, rich man, magician.
Theres nothing yet, not even a login. I think it will not finished before 2150. I have noticed that creating a videogame is fucking hard work. Anyone that can finish a videogame have my sincere admiration.

Be careful there, you’re going full Koonz.

Getting labeled has “crazy” is a problem, because people stop from really paying attention to what you say. They even think “what he say is true… but agian, he is crazy, so is probably wrong”.

What is even worse is getting labeled “philosophist”. Then people retreat behind huge walls and say things like “stop with your cheap teenager philosophy, what are you, 14 years old?”.

We are banned from thinking. We are banned from saying anything that is not conventional. The truth must not be said, and cant heard.

Tell me about it.

I always wanted to make SimPimp, which is exactly what it sounds like.

My favorite ISM is JISM

I hear you. And I think you’re spot on. I can’t help but wonder where we’re going as a society…

thing is I’m curious enough about the destination to not jump off the train…yet.

Good morning folks!

It was rather torturous sitting here getting face slapped by a few more forums vets, BUT, growing pains friends, growing pains.

The man thing I wanted to say yesterday though was about how regs on game forums tend to react to people who introduce themself… with their games.

Do you ever remember being young and having a kid in class bring a toy in that you really wanted and didn’t get yet? Or maybe they already got it but you had to wait until Christmas? And he was a nice kid and was totally down to let people try it out, and then there were usually to sets of kids, the kids that thought this kid totally rocked… and the kids who disapproved for whatever reason.

Well to me this game is kind of like my toy and I want to show it to the world, it’s a nice toy in my opinion, I just want people who play with toys, to play with mine (again, I might not be the best with words…), it doesn’t mean that’s all I have to bring to the table, but again, it seems I’ve been cast to the flames by some, others seem to be giving me a pass, so I’ll reach out to those folks, to the rest of you, it’s really up to you to decide if I’m a nice toy sharin’ guy, or some douchey kid who parents never touch him the satisfaction of waiting until Christmas :P

In any case good morning! It’s good to have a voice again! :D

Oh wait, no, I also want to address the Reddit thing, yes I plugged an excerpt from a Reddit post because people responded so positively to it, I became a top post, I NEVER become a top post, I decided to go with what worked because it was my best bet of not pissing people off. Also, I never said this was the ONLY place I’ve ever tried to show my game, I wouldn’t really be doing my job if the first people to hear about it was a community of gamers I learned about a few days ago. Seriously, why Google me to actively discredit me instead of embracing this sweet hipster love?

With that said I will try to follow the insane spiral of insane spiralness that this thread has become :D