D&D Tactics

I’m thinking about getting D&D Tactics and was wondering what you guys think of the game. I know that the interface sucks, but what about the game itself? If ignore the interface is there a good game underneath?

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=37833
and
http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=37677
should get you started.

My 2 cents is that I think D&D Tactics is garbage, largely because the pen and paper mechanics don’t translate gracefully when translated literally with all their baggage. (KOTOR did it right, this did it wrong.)

That said, I seem to be in the minority around here in that perspective. I think most people ended up liking it.

Given that I signed up for Goozex yesterday, this will be one of the first games I’ll be trading away.

Garbage? You sir, do not know garbage. I know garbage, and this isn’t it. I liked it quite a bit though there are some wierd quirks and the mostly strict adherance to D&D can create some annoyances, but for the most part it’s well done. The other threads go into more depth.

I think you missed the part where I said I think it’s garbage. And I do, much to the regret of my wallet and my previous optimism. (Jeanne D’Arc, on the other hand, did justice to both in spades.)

The other thread (and my post above) makes clear you and others do not agree. I wasn’t trying to represent everyone with my opinion – I’m just trying to make sure it’s clearly heard by a potential buyer for him to take or leave as he sees fit.

Gentlemen, please don’t argue I’m only asking for opinions and if one person thinks it’s garbage and another thinks it the next best thing since the vanilla wafer that’s ok. Hiro I’ve read those threads already, but thanks for linking to them anyway, and was wondering what people were thinking of the game after it’s been out a couple of months. I like the D&D style rpg’s and can live with games that have a few quirks. After all I enjoyed UFO: Extraterrestrials.

It has, by far, the worst interface/UI I’ve used on a portable game. I couldn’t get over the interface. It ruined it.

The only thing I don’t like is movement outside of combat. Otherwise, as a former DnD’er, I really appreciate seeing the mechanics of DnD in video game form.

I picked up Jeanne d’Arc and D&D Tactics for a lengthy plane flight. I played Jeanne for a bit. It was good. I switched to D&D Tactics. The UI tore my eyeballs out and fed them to me. I went back to Jeanne.

Which isn’t to say that there isn’t a good game in there, but I couldn’t bring myself to go looking for it.

Honestly, I don’t think there is a game there. It’s all DnD mechanics. I enjoyed that, to a point.

Didn’t miss a thing. The post was pretty much tongue in cheek. Damn you Tom and your smiley ban!

It’s fairly easy to see why some people wouldn’t like the game, but for those of us who like D&D mechanics it’s pretty good.

I think it models encumberance, doesn’t it?

I hate every game that uses encumberance.

The POINT of the game, or one of the points, is to collect shit.

And the game penalizes you for collecting too much?

Fuck that.

You hated Diablo and Diablo 2?

You do realize there’s games beneath the interfaces of games like this and Hornet Leader, right?

So do you hate, like, every game that restricts what you can carry? That’s like hating most RPGs and many recent FPSes, with little correlation to their quality.

Fuck that.

I did. Hated every thing about them. Diablo 2 turned me off of RPGs for several years.

I hate the D&DT encumbrance system, but didn’t have a problem with Diablo’s. That’s because the implementations and implications of both are implemented totally differently.

For example. In Diablo, you can fill your inventory, town portal on the spot, and sell all your junk, and return to the exact spot you were, repeating this quick process as often as necessary.

In D&D tactics, in order to sell your loot, you HAVE to pick it up before you clear a dungeon, moving 1 square/turn towards some eventual combat, and then go through combat with highly gimped stats. Because if you don’t have the stuff when you complete a mission objective, you can’t go pick it up again.

Like Balasarius said, if the whole point of D&D is to collect stuff (and xp), how is it that they made the carrying/selling/trading of loot so rediculously cumbersome as to be unbearable? I know party inventory isn’t D&D’s style, but WHO CARES? Individual inventory management and D&D’s encumbrance rules in this type of game are just plain not fun, and it’s not interesting or compelling.

A question for you guys who defend D&D Tactics: Do you enjoy the parts of D&DT where you pick up items, deal with encumbrance, and god forbid need to trade items between party members? I certainly don’t, and I doubt few do. So why implement mechanics in a game which are a pain in the ass and nobody wants to waste their time on? Do these mechanics make it a better game? Is it such a virtue to follow 3.5 rules, even when it clearly drags the game experience down? Why not implement the same solutions which have worked time after time for other games, using an interface that has also been proven?

There’s plenty that’s good about 3.5 that they could have used, while shedding the bad stuff, or at least the stuff that doesn’t hold up in a video game adaptation. KOTOR is a great example of this. They did a beautifully elegant job of building the game around 3.5 without letting itself be bogged down by its shortcomings.

KOTOR a great example of 3.5 D&D rules? What? Most of the movement and position strategy have to be trashed in order to accommodate real time. I haven’t played D&D Tactics, but if it does well enough of the PSP, maybe we’d see a PC version. As for inventory management, it sounds like they should implement cart system like Daggerfall and a mission item clean up system like Guild Wars.

If D&D Tactics is anything like D&D tabletop, the heavy crap you’re carrying around is worth maybe 500 gp when the valuable stuff like magic items is worth thousands. There’s no reason to pick up mundane stuff unless it’s absurdly overpriced, like spyglasses.

To put things in perspective, an masterwork greatsword (nonmagical-but-shiny, for the uninformed) is worth 21.875 gp per pound resale, but a +1 greatsword is worth 146.875 gp per pound resale, roughly 6.7 times as much by weight.

If you don’t want to fuck around, just grab things in this order:
Magic jewelry
Magic weapons
Magic potions/scrolls/oils
Magic armor
Magic garbage
Mundane jewelry/gemstones/coins

And leave everything else. If for some reason you can’t carry everything listed above, don’t fuss, because money is likely to be no object in such a case.

I dunno, I like the Baldur’s Gate games.

There were lots of problems with D&D Tactics, but if you are a fan of running D&D tabletop combat I suspect you’d probably enjoy the game for that aspect of things. Not much story to it and as someone else noted the movement out of combat is horrible. But if you go into it realizing that the game is basically just a series of D&D combat sessions, it won’t be too disappointing IMO.