Da Vinci Code - Solution: It Sucks?

The second line is eleven.

Edit: And so is the eleventh. And lines six and eight are only nine :(.

Those hours, that with gentle work did frame
The lovely gaze where every eye doth dwell,
Will play the tyrants to the very same
And that unfair which fairly doth excel;
For never-resting time leads summer on
To hideous winter, and confounds him there;
Sap checked with frost, and lusty leaves quite gone,
Beauty o’er-snowed and bareness every where:
Then were not summer’s distillation left,
A liquid prisoner pent in walls of glass,
Beauty’s effect with beauty were bereft,
Nor it, nor no remembrance what it was:
But flowers distill’d, though they with winter meet,
Leese but their show; their substance still lives sweet.

-Shakespeare

Argue with him, not me! :P

-Kitsune

I think you just won QT3.

Once the judges have checked you for syllabic accuracy Tom will be sending you your crown in the mail

Probably has to do with running a few of the sylables together.

Ev-ry rather than ev-e-ry sorta stuff.

I’m a programmer though, so who knows?

The 2 Brown books I’ve read do have a lot in common with the couple of Crichton ones, which I didn’t think were terribly good either. I think Crichton is a better writer, but would say the Brown books had better climaxes. Faint praise in both cases, just to be clear.

And the fact based stuff is complete bullshit. It is in a lot of movies & books. But Digital Fortress has a preface thanking anonymous NSA workers for their help. But the book’s coverage of cryptography & computer viruses is SO HORRIBLY WRONG that there can be no doubt this is either a lie or Brown was fooled by some junior high kids posing as experts.

It gave me some sympathy for my lawyer friend who can’t bear to watch most TV dramas without yelling at the screen. “You were not ROBBED! You were BURGLED! What kind of prosecutor doesn’t know the difference!”

I like that instant0 got TRIK’D into seeing a film.

Not assuming anyone cares, but watched this one opening night with friend unfamiliar with book. (Somehow got hornswaggled into reading it myself last year, not much of a fan.) Spoilers to follow.
Main criticism: in keeping with Browne’s style of quick cuts around the world, very little time spent building up the characters, making them much less sympathetic. Some reviews suggest that McKellen’s “spry old academic” character is the best part of the film, though when he’s revealed to be the primary villain and a fanatic whose zeal isn’t delivered believably, he loses his charm. Oscar-winning actor’s last scene is downright embarrassing, dragged away in a police car with window rolled up, and mutely shouts/mouths “Robert!!” (name of Hanks’ character) as he’s driven off to jail. (Echoes of infamous “Darth Vader No!” of recent Star Wars movie.)

Other critiques, such as the Journal’s, suggest the movie’s acting was “joyless,” which was also true. The two leads are unsympathetic and their talent is squandered. Hanks in particular does barely any “acting” at all, and at times seems to simply be reciting lines. Also mentioned in Journal review, and agree with this too, in several parts, key lines are delivered by characters in harsh whispers affecting an accent, which makes them unintelligible. Inconsistent subtitles in the movie don’t solve this issue.

Browne clearly attempted to write “book as an action movie,” but at a glance, most filmgoers probably figure the movie couldn’t decide whether it was a mystery movie, an action movie, or a thriller driven by plot twists, since movie never strongly established itself as any of these. Additional points deducted for early scenes of Paul Bettany’s “Silas” character (the crazed albino), graphically and brutally mutilating self with obnoxious camera close-ups. Happened in the book, yes, but was clearly shown in movie with conscious attempt to graphic and shocking, but served no real purpose in film afterwards.

Recommendation: don’t watch.

Read and enjoyed the book?: Consider watching, though casting and delivery may still be disappointing.

I saw the movie tonight with the wife. I enjoyed it for the same reasons I enjoyed the book. I’m not sure why it got such bad reviews. It is not the greatest movie ever made, but it’s definitely not as bad as I was led to believe by the reviews.

On an unreated note: Audrey Tautou is a real hottie.

Just watch Carpenter’s Prince of Darkness… better movie!

etc

I just got back a few minutes ago. My wife really wanted to see it because she read the book. She said it dragged on too long, mainly because she knew it all already.

I hadn’t read the book at all, so I was entertained. There wasn’t one scene that’s burned into my head like Josh Lucas with his enormous baby blues telling Richard Dreyfuss to “KICK HIM OFF OR YOU’LL BOTH DIE” through clenched teeth like in Poseidon, but as a mystery/thriller, it’s an ok movie.

There is a lot of stuff that’s really hard to believe, and the characters do some dumb things, but overall it’s somewhere in the middle and not really a complete dud. The actors around Hanks and Tautou are all very good, especially Geoffrey Chaucer… I mean, Paul Bettany.

Get thee hence and rent Amelie and A Very Long Engagement, PH. No, she isn’t nekkid in them, but they are fantastic films that feature her. Yes, they are extremely French, but no, that shouldn’t be a problem.

Saw it last night and I don’t get the extreme bad press and reactions. It was a fine movie. Chunks of it were souless explanation where fine actors like Hanks and McLellan just stand there and convey plot information (“Tell me about Rose Lines, Sister Exposition”), but it had a complex plot that required you to think and pay attention and it was shot pretty attractively. And speaking of which, yeah, Audrey Tautou is my new favorite person to look at. I mean, if the camera had never left Sophie in this movie I wouldn’t have complained.

This is one bad movie. I haven’t read the book, but knew the basic premise. The movie is, overall, nicely shot and the acting is better than average, although even Tom Hanks (who I really like) is clearly struggling in many of the expository scenes. The plot is really terrible – I mean it’s just one stupid thing on top of another, starting with (oh, spoilers coming) a museum curator who is shot and mortally wounded but apparently is able to concoct a bunch of anagram treasure-hunt puzzles and then run all around the Louvre leaving those clues written in his own blood. Whatever. I can deal with an improbable plot – hell, I liked National Treasure – but if you’re going to do that you have to move things along all the time and not give the audience a lot of time to ponder. National Treasure and MI:3 got this part of it right, and so did Poseidon for the most part. DaVinci Code is full of huge long breaks where people are either pondering riddles or giving expository dialog, and so the whole thing just doesn’t work. Cap it off with the fact that in the end I guess it turns out that Opus Dei has been murdering people for centuries so that Jesus’ descendants (apparently exactly one even after 2000 years!) can’t demonstrate they’re related, not to Jesus, but to Mary Magdalene, and you have a total mess. I mean, for fuck’s sake, who cares if that woman can prove she’s related to Mary Magdalene? The church has already convinced everyone that Magdalene was a fucking prostitute.

Thumbs down.

Saw it this weekend, haven’t read the book. Found myself repeatedly wishing I had a watch so I could see how long I’d been sitting there. Long, contrived, dull, ham-fisted, in hindsight wished we’d seen just about anything else that was playing instead. Wife (who also hadn’t read the book) and the two friends we went with (who both had read it) agreed.

Just saw DVC. I feel kinda dumb saying it, but I actually enjoyed National Treasure a great deal more. Although it was an obvious DVC rip-off, I think it outdid its inspiration. The various clues and puzzles and mini-insights into American history are far more interesting (or at least more relatable to the average layman) than the dry religious/historical foundations of DVC, and National Treasure has a spirit of fun and adventure that DVC clearly lacks. Obviously DVC is dealing with more weighty material than just a straight-up treasure hunt, but that’s the problem, I think - DVC got buried under the weight of its own self importance, whereas National Treasure worked the same pseudo-historical formula into a much more fun experience.

Nice work, guys. $77 million opening, thanks to you people. Great. Keep it up.

:(

-Tom

Yeah come on, guys! If everyone on this forum who saw it had actually stayed away this weekend, the movie would only have made, um, $77m.

That line of defense worked really well at Nuremburg, Whitta. Hey, did you stop and buy a few copies of the paperback on your way back from the theatre?

-Tom, who draws the line at seeing Poseiden on opening weekend

I just saw it, and yes it really does suck. Everysingle criticism I’ve read of the movie is accurate, down to the last detail. Don’t know what Ebert was thinking, really.

To make a video game analogy, it was like watching someone play 7th guest/ 11th Hour and talk out loud while doing it. Or a Deus Ex expansion that takes itself seriously.

With all that said though, its still not a 1 Star out of four though - 1 1/2 or 2 at least.

Hey, we were on vacation in a small town, the other choices were RV, Stick It, and Just My Luck. (In hindsight, probably should’ve gone with RV. Actually, no, should’ve just gone back to the hotel and watched Animal Planet if we were that desperate for entertainment-on-a-screen)