Daggerfall Unity

It looks like the Daggerfall Unity project is moving along pretty well with most(?) of the game implemented. I read about it about it today.

What is it?
Daggerfall Unity is an open source recreation of Daggerfall in the Unity engine created by Daggerfall Workshop.

What’s the state of the game?
“Daggerfall Unity is playable start to finish”
In July 2018 the developer wrote that the following remains to be done:

• Final 40% of spell effects
  • Buy spells from mages guild
  • Magic items & potions (and related crafting UIs)
  • Custom character creator & history questions
  • Vampire/werebeast gameplay Daedra summoning
  • Bug fix and polishing (through alpha > beta > 1.0 onwards)"

Main Roadmap
Quest System Roadmap
Spell Effects Roadmap

What does it look like?
While the game isn’t focused on improving the graphics, it supports mods and there are a few released already that make some enhancements. The developer references them here.

Sample Video
Someone playing the game in June 2018:

I hope this turns out well as I would love to play Daggerfall again with modern improvements in graphics and the UI. Anyone else following this one?

Hadn’t heard of it – thanks for the heads up.

I always cringe whenever I see these huge fan-made projects based on a big IP owned by a company like Bethesda, because it seems like said company always waits until the project is just about done and then they file a cease and desist type of thing that makes me feel bad for all the lost time and effort of those that worked on it. Honestly, I often wonder why said talented people didn’t just make their own thing with those resources instead. I hope nothing like that happens to this one.

It seems unlikely. It’s not using any Bethesda code and it requires an official copy of Daggerfall for all the assets (which, since they’ve offered Daggerfall for free download for many years, isn’t hard to come by - so, also, Bethesda no longer derives any profit from Daggerfall that would be challenged by this).

Zenimax will probably file a cease and desist toward themselves for distributing Daggerfall for free when they realize what has been going on.

I thought only Arena was free?

Phew thank god I still have my boxed copy of Daggerfall still laying around.

Most likely they will force them to change the name but won’t kill the project (just like OpenMW).

I think this is the most likely outcome as long as they continue to avoid using any Bethesda property.

The source repo is fairly active and based on a recent commit, I think maybe they’re going to push out another official build “soon”, but that’s just my guess since they’ve been doing monthly releases.

You can definitely claim it for free on GOG.

Huh, they keps the original sprites. Looks like it really is Daggerfall in Unity, just changing the engine.

“Hey Pathesda! Daggerfail needs another patch!!1!”

Ah, how I miss usenet.

It is literally importing the original assets, so.

Oh God yes. I even remember the name of the premiere Daggerfraud/Pathesda attacker on csiprpg-- Lord Marcus Dracon!

I never would have made it through some of those dungeons w/o exploiting the “fall between the walls into the void” bug. If I were into modding I 'd add that as a toggleable (sp?) feature.

Gee, another Daggerfall engine update that will never get finished (XL Engine, et.al.)

Don’t. Just don’t.

…memories… of the posts we left behind…

It’s already at the point where you can complete the game in it.

uhhuh

New builds were published tonight. Here’s a link to the update notice in their forum:
Updated Builds August 2018