Daily Little Big Planet 2: if only I spoke Hovitos

Title Daily Little Big Planet 2: if only I spoke Hovitos
Author Christien Murawski
Posted in Games
When February 10, 2011

Look at him. Look at how happy he is. He's beaming! I'm pretty happy too. I could sing some Gilbert and Sullivan, I'm so happy. I'm not going to..

Read the full article

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY.

I need to get a time machine, go back in time, and assassinate every person involved with shipping this game.

Good lord. What is your problem with me writing about this game, wumpus? I spent a lot of time doing little entries about all of the user generated levels, which was a great idea. I did a lot of entries about it, so maybe they’re not all that great, but it was a great idea and it worked for a good many months.

I don’t get why you’re so weird about it.

-xtien

It’s mostly a running joke since so many of them get bounced by Google indexing and then create “new” topics. And there’s a apparently a huge long tail of these things that keep coming in, months later…

However, if you do this writing exercise in the future, I suggest doing it with a new game for each topic, rather than user created levels, as the value over time of “hey I wrote about this random user created level for old game X” is … not awesome.

I asked Christien to do this because I enjoy his writing. He doesn’t get to play a lot of games, so this was an opportunity for him to regularly contribute to the front page while he was noodling around with Little Big Planet, something that a lot of people enjoyed doing when it was going strong. But mostly, it was about his voice instead of the game itself.

-Tom

Still better to be a different game each time IMO. The world is awash in a zillion steam indie games, all with markedly different flavors.

This is a weird, weird thing to be litigating now, but for the record, I enjoyed the weekly LBPs.

It wasn’t an old game at the time these were written. It wasn’t brand new, but it was contemporary, and in any case, the “newness-bias” in games writing is a bug, not a feature. Also, the point seemed to be to feature user generated content, which is always going to be a little weirder and more surprising (on average) than a composed game title, even an indie one, because the barrier to entry is inherently lower.

Also also, a consistent framework of a single game’s content means that it could focus on pure level design, or at the very least the experience of the level, rather than reviewing overall mechanics and whatnot. The “markedly different flavors” doesn’t come without its own cost.

Uh, anyways. We can let this thread drift down to the bottom again, although for future reference, I guess if anybody ever wants to troll wumpus, they can just bump one of these threads.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, that the real stuff of the LBP musings were what was behind the link every so often. The little vignettes that too many never saw. I’m sure there is a semi-drunken analogy that could be made about people criticising something without further exploring all the information, charging headlong in without further consideration. I don’t know. I do remember it being a bane of contention amongst a number of forum members when the front page was highly active with users. I remember thinking it was like one of the worst guarded secrets out there, but still, not many people actually saw it.

However, to this day I still remember and appreciated the time and effort you put in to your writing Dingus. Sometimes they were just a summary of a level, and sometimes it was something more that really allowed your writing talents shine. I only clicked this link because I thought there was a new entry that I might have missed on the front page! (Also, I almost spelt Dingus as Dungus, which would have been bad, but it’s only cause of the cider).

Yeah wtf dudes - I loved it, too. Sometimes the writing is about the writing.

Sorry to bump the thread.

I also remember Tom’s fascination with the “user created songs” in Guitar Hero: World Tour.

It was not a good time.