Damon Wayans tries to trademark N-word

The actor Damon Wayans has been engaged in a 14-month fight to trademark the term “Nigga” for a clothing line and retail store, a search of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office’s online database reveals.

Wayans wants to dress customers in 14 kinds of attire from tops to bottoms, and use the controversial mark on “clothing, books, music and general merchandise,” as well as movies, TV and the internet, according to his applications.

But, so far, his applications have been unsuccessful. Trademark examiner Kelly Boulton rejected the registration dated Dec. 22, citing a law that prohibits marks that are “immoral or scandalous.” A previous attempt by Wayans was turned down on identical grounds six months earlier.

“While debate exists about in-group uses of the term, ‘nigga’ is almost universally understood to be derogatory,” Boulton wrote to Wayans’ attorney, William H. Cox, according to the application.

Link to the rest of the Wired article

But, so far, his applications have been unsuccessful. Trademark examiner Kelly Boulton rejected the registration dated Dec. 22, citing a law that prohibits marks that are “immoral or scandalous.” A previous attempt by Wayans was turned down on identical grounds six months earlier.

Damon just needs to take his act overseas.

“Well, white folks, you shouldn’t have ever made up the word. You fucked up. I say nigga 100 times every morning; it makes my teeth white.”
-Paul Mooney

Racism is perpetuated by The Man.

Before you point your finger you should know that I’m the man.

Are you the man that will trademark the K-word?

Only if I start a motorcycle gang, I think.

Then point that fucking finger up your AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhssss.

Ah, Maynard.

I had to play it for my dear lady just now, since she did not get the reference. So sad.

Well if you’re the man
then I’m the man
and Bill’s the man as well!

Just a couple more months, homeboy.

Right after DNF.

How would white people ask for those clothes without getting into all sorts of trouble?

"Dear Patent Office,

How are you? I’m fine.

Can you lend a nigga a intellectual property?

Regards,
Damon Wayans"

I sense another kick-ass thread derailment coming on here. Maynard, get your two-timing ass back to the studio and finish that shit!

Also:

Executive: It’s just my little way of sticking it to the man.
Assistant: But sir…you…are the man.
Executive: I know.
Assistant: Does that mean you’re…sticking it to yourself?
Executive: Maybe.

An Ode to Maynard James Keenan,
By Ronald Flowers-Swoboda

Maynard James Keenan,
If that be thine giv’n name
thou didst my teenage passions inflame,
thine lyricism,
thine tripe,
thine fancy ass bass playing,
didst strike me like a lea’d pipe.

But oh,
twasn’t to last,
what ho,
after a circulous repast,
thou hath becometh,
a frolicking fairy twat.

Did I once lov’d thine words,
of stalking butlers,
splintered hummingbirds.
Holocaust of vegetabled matt’rs
hidden pictorial,
depicting fatt’rs
Prison rape,
my mouth agape!
but now I simply yawn.

Such are the measures and payments,
when thou sing’st simply now of
relationships,
gone
wrong.

With this admission (for I think you’ve not been near it)
I ask: The Thirteenth Step - did you happen to hear it?

For those of us who are Tool fans to a fault, the latest DVD singles contained a sticker claiming a new album coming out this Spring; not an APC release, but Tool. Historically speaking, Tool has never announced releases and then backed out of them or delayed them significantly, so YAY!

I think I’ll try to trademark the word “Shirt” and use it to start a line of clothing. Pants only, though.

Oh come on, who wears pants?

That - that - is mighty good news.

Ain’t they great in concert? Saw them her in Vegas for both their Aenima and Lateralus tours. They barely spoke during Aenima, but they had this great prog-rock stage setup with Maynard on a raised platfrom next to the drummer, and the gee-tars up front. I remember Maynard politely thanking everyone after every song for the applause.

That “not an APC release” comment sort of reminds me of the Lateralus concert. I was sitting next to this girl, and her and her bf were a pair of them pilgrimage types who follow the band for like 10-20 dates or so. I aksed her if they ever did any APC stuff. She sniffed haughtily “A Perfect Circle is a different band.”