Dang it! My kid wants a FIFA game. HELP.

Do you think you can imagine peak major-tournament Scotland? No, more Scotland than that. No, still more Scotland…

Thankfully, in FIFA17 the 2022 World Cup isn’t in Qatar, so the Scottish fans won’t have to celebrate any victories with a cup of tea and a quiet cheer. Our opening game is against South Africa and gives us the opportunity to start off with a positive result to launch us out of the group into the knockout stages, but the game is cagey all through the first 45 minutes without too many chances either way.

Then, at the start of the second half…

I’m excited because it’s a nicely taken goal, it’s my first goal at a major tournament and it turns out to be the winner too.

England beat Mexico 2-0.

On matchday two we have the Mexicans in and the game is somehow even more dour than the first half against South Africa. Right on the stroke of halftime Mexico have a long range effort that Jordan Archer just about tips over the bar, but that’s it really.

The second half doesn’t improve, but then on 87 minutes Grant Hanley gets bored and does a flying tackle off about a five step run up that practically decapitates a Mexican forward and gives them a penalty. They score and hold on to win 1-0.

England beat South Africa 2-0.

Mexico are almost certain to win over South Africa, so now all Scotland have to do to progress is beat England in the final game with qualification on the line for both teams.

By this stage I have about 35 caps for Scotland and in every single one the Attacking Midfielder just behind me in the 4-4-1-1 formation has been Ryan Gauld. Not only have I never seen Ryan score, I don’t recall seeing him even get a shot on target, so when we work a good move right from the kick off against England I’m excited… then I see the cross is going to Gauld…

Really, Ryan?

So, if you want something doing, BARRY MCGARRY is going to have to do it himself. Shortly after Ryan’s miss, we press England high up the field, Gauld wins the ball back and does something he’s actually good at - passes to me.

BAZ MCGAZ!

If that wasn’t enough, I do my own action replay about fifteen minutes later, when a nice turn on the edge of the box puts the ball on my left foot again, with the same result again.

What follows, is something like a 28 Days Later remake, with Scotland playing the survivors and Harry Kane as all of the zombies. He draws several saves from Jordan Archer and then in the second half when a header cannons back off the bar, Kane collects his own rebound and fires past the prone Archer, only to see that shot hit the inside of the far post, roll all the way along the goalline, hit the inside of the near post and bounce clear.

Dele Alli hits the angle of post and bar so hard the ball almost bounces to halfway and then even John Stones has a try, with a cross/shot/terrible miss-hit that bounces on top of the crossbar and out.

The referee adds five minutes of stoppage time, just to give me a heart attack, but somehow we hold on for a glorious victory over the Auld Enemy!

Which is why I’m confused when the game drops back to the main menu and I’m in my red and white Atletico kit and not the blue of Scotland.

I go and check the international standings and find out two things - First, Mexico beat South Africa 4-0. Second, the standings are sorted by goal difference and then goals scored. Which means…

Jesus Scottish Christ.

I absolutely love these posts, Mr_Bismarck.

When my kid plays career mode, he always chooses the strangest teams, in my view. I just expect him to pick Manchester United because he loves that team so, or Everton since Rooney returned. But he doesn’t. Instead he chooses teams like Sheffield Wednesday.

-Why are you doing that? Why aren’t you just playing Man U?
-Because that would be too easy. It’s more fun this way.

He likes to work his way up through the career. He likes to build his reputation and get offers from international squads and whatnot.

I got to sit in on the team selection process for one of the last careers he ran up on 2017. It was fascinating to watch him figure it out. He asked me to make a list as he went through the teams.

“Ashton Villa is good but they’re a little too good for me. Barnley is too bad. Birmingham is about right.”

He tried to teach me about transfer budget/wage at this point, but I was busy not being smart enough about maths.

He had me do a list as we went through: Birmingham City. Brentford. Bristol City. Cardiff City. Fulham. Leeds United. Norwich.

My trenchant comment at this point was that Indigo Girls had a song about Leeds. He rightly ignored that.

“Fulham might be perfect.”

He ended up going with Fulham for that career.

That is beautiful. I can’t wait to show it to him.

This too. That save is awesome. And wow. The mustache on that goalie Seaman [Beaumont].

Great posts, Mr_Bismarck.

-xtien

Thanks! They’re very long for the internet these days so I’m glad someone read them!

I play almost exclusively the career mode where you’re just a single player so I don’t have to worry about budgets or wages or any of that as the management and all the other players are AI controlled.

I do like to start off in bad teams though - BARRY MCGARRY has seen his career go Dundee - Portsmouth - Aston Villa - Newcastle - Atletico Madrid.

This past season at Atletico has been by far my favourite single season in the game so far. It’s my third full season in Spain and I’m probably ready to move on, but it was just a compelling run from start to finish, trying to keep up with the big boys at Real Madrid and Barcelona, while managing a Champions League run and playing in the Scottish national team.

There are some weaknesses with the mode - I’m 6’5"… put some crosses in you silly AI wingers! - but overall it’s a really fun experience and this single person mode is my favourite in all the sports games that feature it.

It’s probably strongest in the NBA games, (even though I don’t watch any basketball), and was weakest in Madden before EA pulled the plug on the PC version of that, but if you release a sports game with this type of mode that lets me play it like a very limited RPG I am going to buy your game.

This is really well put, Dave. My kid has really learned how to look at the field and is great at slowing down the game when he gets the ball. This is a detail @marquac picked up from my post and talked to me about personally, and he was absolutely right. My kid’s league coach tries to teach them how to handle the ball in the game when they have time and space, and I can see my kid doing that more this year. He’s also learned how to control the ball more, and how to play back, as you say.

I think a lot of this is due to playing FIFA, which helps him visualize the game without that exercise being a chore.

-xtien

Quoting myself to show what John Wile looked like during that game.

They didn’t have blood rules back then that required you to switch to a clean shirt and stay off until the bleeding stopped. So they bandaged him and sent him back on, but every time he headed the ball his bandage would get redder and redder until he finally tore it back off again.

What a different time. Now when kids head the ball, most of the parents cringe. I must admit I’m one of them. When there’s a high kick–that is a ball that’s been booted high–I just say to myself, “Please don’t head it. Please don’t head it.”

-xtien

I don’t really follow football but that was a great story and, wow, what an incredible goal from Gazza and a remarkable pic of the bloodied captain. Thanks for sharing.

@ChristienMurawski Sheffield Wednesday (and United) are one of my local teams. In fact I’ve only just got back from Sheffield tonight!

Mr. Bismarck, I haven’t played a FIFA game since '13, but your posts are making me want to go buy the latest one. I wish American sports gave more opportunities to describe something as a “thunderbastard.”

Your posts also reminded me of this amazing series of Football Manager AARs. It’s quite a long read, but worth it, IMO. I highly recommend it to anyone reading this thread.

The Pro Vercelli chronicles are probably my favourite writing about FM. It’s a great series. “When it comes to judging player ability, the difference between Walter Colombo and a six-month-old baby is that Walter is under contract through 2013.” is a great line.

Well, look at that…

https://streamable.com/jolhx

So for a time while playing this game, my son’s team goalie was Jordan Pickford.

Whenever I would watch him play, or see the recap of his goals–at the end of a match my son always wants me to see the goals and saves replayed–I’d say, “Wow, that Mary Pickford is really something.”

“Why do you keep calling him Mary?”

“Isn’t that Mary Pickford? Famous actress from the days of yore?”

“Stop it.”

Fast forward to today. My son is on his 8th grade trip and they are at the Capital Library in Washington, DC. He sent me this picture just now:

My boy.

-xtien

:-) Awesome! Both the modern parenting approach of adding some culture to a football game and his way of picking it up. Well done!

This is adorable.

I suspect Pickford is going to be England’s #1 during the upcoming World Cup, so now my brain is going to call him “Mary” every time he touches the ball.

Can I do the text dump thing again?

I hope so, because I recently had my favourite season in FIFA17.

In 2022/23 we’d won La Liga, just barely outlasting Barcelona by two points while Real Madrid had an off-year and finished fourth, but it was the following season that was my favourite.

In the off-season Atletico had sold my regular attacking partner, so I was now going to be paired with Adelberto Penaranda - a silly man with sillier hair - who would slowly drive me insane over the course of the season.

Penaranda wasn’t really bad or anything, it was worse than that. He would miss easy chances for far post tap-ins, then dance around two players at the edge of the box and curl a shot with his wrong foot into the top corner. He took over my role as designated penalty taker and would slam low bullets into the corners, but then trailing 1-2 against Barcelona he tried some golf-wedge ultra-Panenka and scuffed the shot over the bar, consigning us to defeat.

With Penaranda in the team I became a much more selfish player, because I quickly tired of watching him take perfect passes and turn them into inexplicable misses. Eventually I turned the in-game commentary off altogether, because I couldn’t listen to them crow on again about his mistakes.

As a result, Atletico kind of fell apart for a while. We slumped as low as sixth before Christmas and it was apparent very early that we weren’t going to be defending our crown. Although we improved in the new year there was no way Barca and Real were going to lose enough games for us to catch them, so we turned our attention to the cups.

In the Champions League we won our group then squeaked past Manchester United in the first knockout round. We were in a poor run of form before the next round where we’d meet Arsenal, but the Gunners proved to be good for what ails ya as we won 4-0 in London and 6-1 overall.

That took us to the semi-final and Juventus, where both games ended 1-1. This meant extra time and both teams scored there too, which meant we were going to go out on away goals. We pushed forward to find a winner, only to get done on the break for a 3-4 defeat.

Juventus would beat PSG in the final.

With the cups in mind, the story of the season for me was really defined by two headers.

As defending Champions we opened our season with the Spanish Supercup against Bigger Madrid and after we took an early lead Anthony Martial decided to take over and he scored twice to put the bad guys ahead 2-1.

I really hate losing to Real, so with 90 minutes on the clock in what’s essentially a pre-season game I’m still sprinting about the field trying to win tackles in my own half, but when I do win the ball back on our left with 90+4 on the clock, I’m not expecting too much…

streamable.com/ewc5v

It’s a pretty gentle header, but the shout I gave there rattled the teacups and only got louder when we scored three times in extra time to win the first pot of the year, 5-2.

Then all the way at the end of the season, in the very final game, we came up against Real again in the Spanish Cup Final. This was our last chance to win something and we had clawed back from an early Martial goal to tie the game up with seven minutes to play and force extra time again.

In the last minutes of the first half of extra time I muscled onto the ball into the Madrid area and then got chopped down to win a penalty that Yannick Carrasco scored. Then, with exactly two seconds left in the season…

streamable.com/mthm0

That is a proper Scottish header right there.

We were third in the league, out in the semi-finals of the Champions League and winners of the Spanish Cup. I had already decided it was time to move on from Atletico after this season, so to finish with a belting header like that against Real seemed like a great way to sign off.

I want to go back to England and win the Premier League and pick up the Champions League trophy too, but ultimately the goal remains to get Scotland into an international tournament knockout game.

Because I am pissing folks off lately (sorry, my bad!) I’m going to try to make up for it with the greatest sports twitter thread of all time.

Sywell Football Club, or A Story in Three Acts.

There. Can we all be friends again?

Vowels come at you fast.

Fat thumbs and GPS will be the end of all of us.

I love that term. “A Pretty Gentle Header” could be so many things, from a Billy Elliot kind of warm-hearted movie, to a weird name for an English breakfast, to a strangely translated foreign adult film.

I think my kid just won the Premier League with Leeds, against Chelsea. He tied the last game against second place Chelsea. Then they scored two, and his left back, Kieran Tierney, scored twice to give him nine for the season. He was up on points and got the trophy. Then sent me the celebration video.

Did I miss something?

-xtien

Did I miss something?

-xtien
[/quote]

Nah.