Dang it! My kid wants a FIFA game. HELP.

FIFA ultimate team doesn’t work that way though. I am pretty sure it is Gachapon style “card pack unlocks”. So 2 players from his favorite team could take many packs to unlock.

Or, maybe he could start doing youtube videos where he opens Fifa Ultimate Team card packs? Because that is a thing.

These guys seem to be trying to scare you and I’m not sure why? Which console do you have?

FIFA is great no matter which mode you play. There’s one box you can buy or you can purchase through the store on your console if you want the digital download. The gameplay is superb. As a guy who played and coached a lot of soccer rather successfully, I can say that it approximates the game really well. Controller gymnastics will only get you so far. FIFA Ultimate Team is fun whether you spend money or not. I never spent a dime and really enjoyed it when I played.

If I remember right, you can trade players to try to get your favorite guys, too.

It’s been on sale a lot recently. Make sure you get the latest one. Don’t settle for '16 or older. It has been as low as $29.99 new. Play it with him. FIFA with kids is a blast.

Sure, so is playing Overwatch, or Pokemon GO, or most games with these transaction offers. You can always play it without spending any money and the game is usually fine on its own.

That said, the business model does not revolve around people not buying the in-game offers, and not every kid is equipped to deal with it in healthy ways. Heck, some adults aren’t for that matter.

I used to buy FIFA games every year to play online, and i never touched the FUT mode, i just don’t like it. I prefer playing with the real squads but that’s just me.

I guess it can suck people in, but I do feel like every time the possibility of paying for things in a game comes up there is an overreaction to it in discussions.

Pay for packs or not, the game mode is still a lot of fun.

That CBC news story is stupid. 17 year old “kid” knew full well what he was spending his dad’s money on since the charge appears with a confirmation.

All. Except for the Nintendo Switch.

I really appreciate your perspective in this regard, Dave. My son has played soccer for years and I played while growing up, and have coached a little, so I wanted to get a sense of how the gameplay works as well as how to navigate the business model side of things, since I don’t want to get hosed by the payment structure.

Looks like FUT isn’t on the 360. I can get a list of all teams on the EA site, but I’m not finding the players on anything but FUT sites. Hmm. More digging required.

Thanks for making this point as well.

-xtien

Yeah, that’s pretty silly. When my boy was eleven (last year), he wanted to get this game for his iPod Touch called “Jurassic Park Builder” and I had to go through a discussion about micro-payments with him and tell him why that wasn’t going to happen (the micropayments, not getting the game…he just had to understand about paying game tax). He knows whenever there is a question about buying stuff that pops up in a game, or even registering for stuff, that he has to ask me first and that basically the default is “NO” for those things. I trust this will carry over.

-xtien

P.S. He was so annoyed when he found out they were charging like fifty bucks (!) for Indominus rex in that dopey game.

P.P.S. Maybe it’ll be discounted soon and he can get Indominus rex for his Manchester United team. Hmm.

Help me understand the distinction, if you don’t mind, @MrCoffee.

Does this just mean that the regular game mode has the real teams, as they are when the game is released, and that FUT mode means you can play owner and assemble whomever you want? Like the Dream Team in basketball in the Olympics? How can that possibly work? What if you’re playing against somebody online who has the same player you’ve contracted for your team?

If the roster changes during the season in the real world, does the game mode then adjust?

-xtien

Yes someone else can have the same players as you, if the player was in one of their packs too.

Updates happen throughout the season and you can actually get multiple slightly different copies of the same player. You could get a Ronaldo card and a “Form” Ronaldo card with slightly increased stats.

FUT is a completely separate mode that you can happily ignore (I do). You can still play one-off games, leagues, cups, or play in career mode as one player on a team full of AI teammates all without touching FUT. There’s even an online mode that has nothing to do with FUT.

FIFA is a really good game and will give you fun until your fingers blister without spending any real money on in-game purchases.

I wouldn’t have mentioned FUT but for your note about the kid who has spent $300 and outside of some in-game advertising for coin or pack deals, you can ignore it pretty easily.

Great and thanks again.

This other dad told me his son (the $300 kid) stockpiles all the gift cards he gets, and other holiday money, and basically just uses it to buy players for FIFA. Which really spooked me.

So I really appreciate you giving your thoughts on FUT.

-xtien

Here, let me help. F1-F4:

You’re welcome.

-Tom

Basically EA found a way to monetise what Pro Evo had been doing for years with the Master League, and now it’s where they make most of their money in sports games (all the EA sports games have an Ultimate Team mode). [quote=“ChristienMurawski, post:27, topic:128642”]
Looks like FUT isn’t on the 360. I can get a list of all teams on the EA site, but I’m not finding the players on anything but FUT sites. Hmm. More digging required.
[/quote]

Don’t get hung up on this. If the team is in the core game, then all the (current) players are. I mean, what else would it mean for the team to be in there?

Agreed. The only exception good be a recent transfer from a player to another team that occured after the game was finished. The player will still be in the game, just not with his new team yet.

@ChristienMurawski: out of curiosity, which two players is your son looking for?

Edit: and only after posting do I read the ‘current’ in Ginger’s post. So, basically, what he already said…

Which of the two major footy games is the top dog now? FIFA or Pro Evo? I can never keep track. I haven’t played one since… hahah, shit, ISS Pro '98.

From what I’ve read, Pro Evo is better at game play this year, but FIFA is more feature-rich, and includes more licensed teams and players. This applies only to the current-gen consoles, as the PC and last-gen versions of Pro Evo are dramatically worse.

Sales-wise, FIFA is the 800-pound gorilla.

Gameplay wise, they’ve been pretty even overall for the last few years, after a long period of Pro Evo dominance. Traditionally, Pro Evo is a bit slower and more defensively oriented, though I understand they mixed things up a bit this time.

Never forget:

I always found that endearing, but I guess that’s because I grew up with Sensi Soccer which did the same thing.

Yeah, same. I don’t really follow football either so the names have never held much meaning to me anyway. Still, I always found that approach really amusing.