Dangerdoom

www.dangerdoom.com

This CD is a collaboration between MF Doom (most recently of Madvillain) and Danger Mouse (most recently of The Gorillaz) along with several characters from Adult Swim, such as the Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Space Ghost, and Harvey Birdman - Attorney at Law.

The concept reeks of ‘novelty record’ (destined to be filed away forever next to copies of Morris Minor and the Majors’ “Stutter Rap”). I’d never heard of the collaboration before picking up the CD by chance at the mall yesterday. But it transcends the justifiably cautious expectations one might have, and may actually be the best album I’ve heard all year. I’ve had it in near constant rotation at the office, pausing only to lend it to my friends with an emphatic “You have to hear this.”

Doom’s rapping is phenomenal (and I was decidedly underwhelmed by the much-ballyhooed Madvillain record), Danger Mouse’s beats and production tower over any other hip hop I’ve heard all year, and the interjections from Brak and Master Shake somehow make it work even better.

You probably have to be a fan of the genre and the shows to really get off on it, but if you’re the type of person who can rap along to MC P Pants, then this is an absolute must-own.

“I hear you’ve talked to some other people… And I thought you were smarter than that. But obviously I am WRONG cause you know my rappin is the $h1t.” - Master Shake.

This is now my all time favorite Doom album.

Funk

Doom and Danger Mouse were great as ever. I wasn’t wild about the Adult Swim samples… they seemed kind of forced when put up against Doom’s prior sampling work.

I dunno, Doom manages to be geekily referential and self-deprecating. Adult Swim is just geeky.

But I still loved the album. I think I like Madvillainy a bit more, though.

One thing I will say: the guest stars do a better job than on past Doom CDs. Both Talib Kweli and Ghostface do a fantastic job.

One of my co-workers joked that you could just have the Taleb Kweli track 12 times on a CD and it would still be better than the last Kanye West record.

Personally, I think he’s right. :D

MF Doom is awesome. In the last year, I’ve tried to get my hands on as much of his stuff as possible and this latest album is just a lot of fun. I’m actually surprised there are any fans of his here, though I guess I shouldn’t be surprised given the references he makes are right up our alley. I personally like the Space Ghost skit the most. In any case, I think the Madvillain album is probably his best, but I would put this one ahead of Mm… Food? (though its cool too).

Now, everyone awaits the possible Ghostface Killah collaboration.

I would go: (skipping CDs I don’t have)

1. Madvillainy
  2. Take me to your leader
  3. Vaudeville Villain
  4. Dangerdoom
  5. Mm…food.
  6. Operation Doomsday
  7. Venomous Villain

With an honorable mention to Escape from Monsta Island, which has basically no Doom but is fun anyway.

I’ll probably change the order tomorrow, though. Except for Venomous Villain which I think is pretty weak compared to the other CDs.

Last weekend was not a bad time to stroll into a music store. To wit…

• Dangerdoom
  • PE’s “New Whirl Odor”
  • Blackalicious’ “The Craft”
  • David Banner’s “Certified”
  • Boards Of Canada’s “The Campfire Headphase”

Good thing I wasn’t thinking of buying any games for a couple of months.