Dank Memes n' Dark Themes

Not everyone wants their clarity to be blue. Why won’t you let us theme our clarity?!

I find it enormously frustrating, delightful and refreshing that you folks decided to disable likes here. You are making me use words. This is a slippery slope.

I like the idea of a mobile night theme that is better tuned than night shift or flux. For day-to-day usage I find dark themes very difficult on my poor eyes.

You may or not be aware, but this is one if the primary reasons Tom is in general not in favour of likes in a community forum context. ;)

100% agree with you. I have and love f.lux, my monitors are all on super low brightness (20 or thereabouts), I always used greyfolio on the old site. “Zap Colors” is on the toolbar of every browser I use.

When I read white text on black, first I start squinting, then I get a headache sort of thing, then my eyes start hurting. It only takes about 5 minutes of reading before I’m totally done and in real pain. The the afterimage of the text puts these blurry bright lines across anything I look at for a while. Like a good 5-10 minutes. I see the “halos” on street lights and headlights at night, but I didn’t realize that this text phenomenon was called halation until just now when wumpus brought it up.

I kinda wish there was something I could do to make it go away… I was only able to play a few minutes of AI war before my eyes stopped me. :(

Thankfully changing the white text to slightly off white and the black background to a dark grey is enough to fix it. There are very few games like AI War that I can’t play at all, even though a lot of games (especially space games) have something very close to white on black.

Indeed, let’s look at that wall of text:

There are studies showing that line length on the web varies from the standard in print, which Robert Bringhurst’s The Element’s of Typographic Style (typographer’s bible) pegs at a optimal 66 characters per line… but on the web it seems as though the optimal length may be longer, at nearly 100 characters per line (supported by this Wichita State study from 2005).

I tend to agree that about 75-100 seems ideal for the web (I prefer a middle-ground between 80-90); The traditional 50-75 is a bit too conservative. I think this is just a reflection of the differences between reading on printed paper vs reading on a screen. There’s a little more information on that here.

Line length:

Yes, and I use Night Shift cranked to the max. But when ← 55
the vast majority of the screen is white, it only takes you ← 59
so far. My phone is still, very visibly, able to illuminate my ← 62

That seems about right for the pictured screen size, to me… if the font was larger, it’d be a very short line length, like 40 chars.

Doesn’t matter to me if the line is short.
This is a screenshot of my Kindle on iOS with a very comfortable font - 34 chars in a line.

All right, if you’re into Baby’s First Reader ;)

I prefer to see it as “Large Print” for old men, LOL!

I can use the £8 Casio watch to guide my way in the dark. I use it all the time. That’s certainly not bright :)

I must be very unobservant or twilight works when I have chrome open. I’ll let you know in about 14 hours

I had an overwhelming urge to like this post. Well said. :)

Isn’t this here now?

Really disliking the changes to the light & bright theme. Why stuff gotta change, huh?

That change came with Discourse version update. We can and will fix it soon, when we get a chance to dig into what changed in the CSS files.

I tried to return the muted blue look to the unread topics.

Looks way better now, thanks Clay!