Danny Boyle's FRANKENSTEIN

Saw this last night and really loved it. It’s playing a sold-out run at the National Theatre in London but we saw it in San Francisco via the magic of one of those live HD cinema broadcast things. I’ve never been to one of those before but it really works great, it’s almost like being right there in the theater.

The production is great from top to bottom. Awesome script by Nick Dear that explores the themes inherent to the Frankenstein story probably better than any other adaptation I’ve seen, terrific direction and set design and two awesome lead performances by Johnny Lee Miller and Benedict “Sherlock” Cumberbatch. The neat gimmick is that the two leads switch off roles every night - we saw Miller as the Monster and Cumberbatch as Victor. The theater usher told us that people seem to prefer that version but I’d be very interested in seeing the alternate version too.

The National Theatre is doing these HD cinema broadcasts across the world, here’s a website where you can check if it’s coming to you. Well worth checking out!

http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/?lid=52955

Seriously? No Atlanta show? The closest was Macon and sadly it was last Thursday. :(

Arrgh, Seattle performance tomorrow at 2 or Monday at 7:30. Damn short notice to get a babysitter, and we just got back from a week’s Disneyland vacation so discretionary income is gone for the month. Sigh. Still, cool to know that this happens!