DAOC 2? "Camelot Unchained" Announced

To be fair, in RuneQuest, that could be a legit party…

Do you really think so? Mark’s first game (Dragon’s Gate, back on GEnie) was very roleplay-friendly. Heck, it was dominated by RP’ers. Warhammer was also quite RP-friendly, though the market had moved on somewhat. I didn’t play enough DAOC to have an informed opinion there. But I don’t see him as one of the “RP LOL” crowd.

So does the stretch goal indicate there will be RP servers?

Also I am curious, how is Currency introduced into the economy, is by PVE content only?

Frankly, I had to Google RQ…Shame on me! At least I learned something =)

CSE answer to “Will there be RP servers?” (and same for FFA ones) was “If there is enough demand”, which I read as “not at launch, but later depending on game success”. Have in mind that the latter is 100% my personal interpretation of their words.

Also, I can give you some details about expected numbers and server caps / sizes, very much connected to this. I believe that we will, at least, have some kind of “unofficial” RP server at launch, and then - if all goes well…

Speaking of economy, it will be strongly based on crafting / building / mining / gathering (this includes destruction and looting of enemy structures) and currency will be introduced through daily reports (say, even fighters will get some money from king), while PvE drops will be only materials (scale, meat, fur…no items).

So the only way to get gear will be through crafted items? Or can we loot players and take their gear?

Basically everything will be crafted, including buildings; Crafters / builders will have their own classes (which will be leveling through crafting).

There will be no enemy corpse loot, but we should be able to loot enemy caravans, buildings etc. after capture. This should include both direct scavenging of resources these are made of and (the following is my interpretation of some dev quotes) looting items/animals from stores and vaults inside.

So, it should be a kind of “corpse loot” but on the level of castles/keeps i.e. guilds/alliances/factions; I already wrote couple words about that on some of the previous pages.

CSE just opened a second studio in Seattle and hired four additional programmers (!) due to some extra funding they got - http://massivelyop.com/2016/06/17/camelot-unchained-is-opening-a-second-studio-in-seattle/

Beta should happen “this summer” - info from livestream yesterday, and here is a bit of brave new (procedurally generated) world - https://vine.co/v/iYrvWnrrKML

Thanks for the update! I am really looking forward to the beta. I should update the other post on titles to look forward to this year although not sure a beta counts :).

I assume this will be a real beta, and not the extended head-start that is common in the industry now?

What’s the best-informed speculation as to an actual release time?

definitely tentatively excited for this

Cool. Looking forward to beta.

Isn’t beta the same as launch, in this age of milky early accesses? On a serious note, the launch is certainly not happening this year.

The beta will be so real and “technical” that they even plan to keep NDA on until beta 2 or later. It still looks quite rough, and focus started shifting to visuals only just recently.

Speaking of launch, for what it’s worth - I don’t expect it until Q3 2017, Q2 only if planets align. As they never do… :)

For anyone curious about CU building (hmm…do I hear crickets?), a quick overview written by yours truly - https://ello.co/jamesgoblin/post/lwcc9qkee_5xilkhpqhjma

I was inspired by (and took most of the material from) this timelapse video by Necromaniak, one of players in alpha tests:

I just hope they let me play a class that has an AOE stun, who’s cooldown is shorter than the stun duration again. The first 6 months of DAOC were just knee slapingly funny if you were on the right end of it, and rage inducing if on the wrong end.

It will be really interesting to see what mechanics carried over from DAOC. The stuff like being able to climb walls on an infiltrator was just…really really awesome.

I’m guessing you played Midgard!

This is very interesting. Is this Weird Tower also destructible by enemies? Also I notice there are no gates…do those exist yet (and will they)?

And if it can be destroyed, are they allowing siege machines this time around?

@Ultrazen We certainly won’t see the DAoC level of crowd control, especially duration-wise. On the other hand, they plan to give enough tools (CC included) to “small and well organized groups to fight against zergs”.

Also, climbing walls (and trees) is being seriously considered, same as catapulting people - say, warriors/tanks - on or over the keep walls. And same goes for ropes with hooks, ladders, siege towers and such.

@mok Everything player made will be fully destructible, except in starting i.e. safe zones (and of course, building offline - which is what Necromaniak did in tat video).

Speaking of gates, this is free form + made by a player - that is to say, he could put 15 gates on each wall if he wanted to. And there will be loads of siege engines, we already saw screenshots of catapults and short animations of ballistas couple months ago.

Ooh! Ooh! I want to be a sniper in a tree! I remember the fun of being sniped from the forest. I want to give that thrill to other players.

RichVR, sitting in a tree, S-N-I-P-I-N-G!

Hey JamesGoblin, What do you know about the stealth in this game? I’ve watched some vids where they talk about “The Veil” and some general principles but can’t find any hard details.