Dark Matter

I thought #4 killed the Ishida heir.

#4 killed the last emperor Ishida and he is the heir himself. That would probably mean he either killed his father or his grandfather.

Should be his father. The dream was he carved out bad guys’ eyes who were under the employ of his evil stepmother.

Whether he killed the Emperor or is being framed is unresolved. It may have been a plot by stepmother to kill Emperor + current heir. My gut says yes, because TV likes sympathetic characters.

Do any of you guys* know the comics? Without revealing spoilers, is the show hewing close to the comics? I see on Wikipedia there were only four issues published. That doesn’t seem like very many. Has the show pushed past the events of those four issues?

-Tom

• Nerds!

i’m watching this series too, it’s been quite good so far and i’m looking forward to more of it, what happened to them is very intriguing and exciting

Didn’t even know there were comics.

Last couple of episodes have been good for filling in backstory on several characters. Looks like #6 was never a really bad guy at all, he was just made to look that way thanks to being betrayed by his radical resistance group. #3 is one-dimensional, a gun-loving mercenary who joined the team as a way to have access to resources that might have found a cure for the woman who softened his calloused heart. #4 is an honorable if misguided man who was framed by his evil stepmother, and #1 is the good-guy imposter, not the bad guy whose identity he has stolen. #2 hasn’t had her backstory explained yet, but I’m sure it will be just as sympathetic as the others.

#5, the stowaway girl, is the key. She now knows who she was (a space station run-away Oliver Twist) and what happened to her (she stole something she shouldn’t have, got all her friends killed, and may still be a serious danger to everyone), so the question is, what will she do with the information. Now that the mysterious cargo bay door has been opened, almost all the mysteries surrounding our crew are at least partially resolved. All that’s left is who is #2 really, and was it #1 or #5 that did the memory wipe, and why. It will be interesting to see where the show goes now that each character has some kind of grudge from their past to settle.

I really wish Wendy could have stayed as a regular, she was a total hoot! The One plus Two attraction storyline, on the other hand, is just painful to watch.

Wendy was hilarious. I want to know what “dunking the cosmic donut” entails…

The budding romance between #1 and #2 will probably take a big hit soon when #2’s backstory is revealed. I would not be surprised to discover she is the only one among them with a less than sympathetic background. It would put the brakes on the romance if #1 were to discover she was not a good person pre-memory wipe, and then they could spend several episodes with her trying to convince him (and herself) that she wants to change post-wipe. It would make sense, as if she really is the captain, she would have had to have been pretty bad-ass before for the others to follow her lead…

I was slightly surprised they killed #3’s love interest off that fast. Glad they didn’t try and stretch it out forever but the whole thing happened so fast it felt ridiculously contrived. I suppose we should be grateful for that.

That was a fun episode (as was the derelict one). The series continues to be eminently watchable, if not stellar.

After a few episodes of all three, I’d put this below Defiance, but above Killjoys. Decent street food for the s-f lover.

Looks like the main villain(s) are the mega corporations.

I think the overal plot would be the team is going to either destroy some bad corporations or the are becoming mercenaries for the common people to fight the corporations.

I enjoyed it, as always.

Even Killjoys picked up in eps 5 and 6, after that stinker in Ep 4, The Vessel. I still prefer Dark Matter though.

I like how they’re jogging along with the plot mystery and not postponing it too much. Things are being revealed at a good pace.

Yeah and the more they reveal of their pasts the more you realize things arent likely to end well for our intrepid crew. They will end up killing each other off, if the universe doesnt get them first.

They are moving along at a pretty good pace. We have backstory revealed for all the characters other than #2 now, and I like how each character is sympathetic, yet still morally ambiguous enough that you’re not exactly sure what they will do from episode to episode.

On the other hand, had the characters just put all cards on the table when they had their little sit down meeting, they’d be in a much better place. All they have is each other, which they themselves keep mentioning, so maybe they should just lay out everything they know about themselves and their motivations, and then nobody feels the need to hide stuff. In nearly every situation things have not been what they seem. Six is not really a heartless terrorist, Four did not really kill his father in an attempt to take the throne, Three was trying to save someone and become a better person, One had a good motive for assuming Corso’s identity (which now appears to be to get close to Three who is a suspect in his wife’s death) and Five was running from people that may yet be a threat to everyone. Only Two hasn’t had her past revealed yet, but chances are it will be sympathetic in some way as well. I get that the mistrust and confusion is part of the overall plot device, but eventually they’re going to have to come together and start trusting one another or the show will become stagnant.

Well, I actually suspected it quite some time ago. He was always far too nice :)

further thoughts

He was probably a space cop all along even while working, undercover, for the Resistance - which is why it pissed him off so much that he was implicated in the mass murder the Resistance guy made him do (and he was genuinely upset, because we saw that in flashback). Then he used that now-handy notoriety to infiltrate the gang (while they were baddies). He was the one that Two and Four were planning to kill on Five’s tape, presumably because they’d discovered he was an undercover cop.

Dark Matter and Killjoys renewed for Season Two.

Great news, as I am enjoying both shows. I thought the Dark Matter season finale was very good, with a nice twist at the end that I am eager to see play out next season. I suspect it is all a master plan / setup by at least a couple of the crew to get them out of hot water with the Galactic Authority, maybe related as well to the data card Five stole. Should be interesting to see how it pans out. 1.8 million viewer average for Dark Matter, not too shabby for a SyFy show on a Friday night.

I could take or leave Killjoys. I watched it and it was ok but it didnt really hook me. Dark Matter OTOH was a much a better show in almost every way. Still, Im glad they both got renewed. Its good to see Syfy show some actual sci-fi for a change!

Watched the finale of Dark Matter. It was pretty good but the plot was also heavily borrowed from Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None. Not that thats a bad thing, its a classic plot line and has been used many times. Because of that I saw the twist coming and was not surprised at the reveal.

Just saw the entire season of this, and yeah, knew from episode one what was up - So easy to spot.

Anyways, looking forward to seeing season two - I also like that Netflix get this so early. Its clear to me they are aiming at doing a Firefly type of show, and thats fine - Its just a tad too dark to be really fun, but its one of the better scifi shows out there right now.