Dark Souls 1 - why is this not clicking?

Was the first one made for controller or mouse/keyboard? I was wondering if one of those control schemes worked better than the other?

I have DS2 I picked up super cheap from a sale for PS4, and don’t have DS3. Thought I’d wait to see if I like these and also wait til it’s very cheap.

These games are extremely rewarding if you can get past the technical difficulties and the difficulty difficulties.

When I first saw this thread I was super confused how we could have made it this far with out a Dark Souls 1 thread.

They’re pretty much made for controllers, like most 3rd person action games.

You could go ahead and fire up DS2 now. 60 fps, no fiddling with DSfix, and an easier start to the game.

You can always go back to the original later.

I Just started playing this about 3 weeks ago. I got it on sale for $4.99 on Steam and also bought an xbox controller to play it with. I’ve been PC gaming since they were invented but have never owned a modern console or used a controller until Dark Souls. It’s been quite an experience learning both game and controller in such a difficult environment.

Now, 3 weeks later and I’m level 90, just finished the Catacombs and am currently working on the Giant’s Tomb. Steam says I have 100 hours in the game and I love it to death. In fact, I think it’s one of the finest games I’ve ever played. I have raged at it, yes. I have been incredibly frustrated at times and walked away, yes. I’ve lost sleep thinking how the crap can I beat Ornstein and Smough, you bet. But, it’s one of the finest gaming experiences I’ve ever had. I posted this about it on another forum recently:

The more I play this game the more impressed I am with it. It is an incredibly dense game. There is just so much to discover and do. The lore is very, very good. Nothing in this game is in your face. It’s all there for you to discover for yourself, there’s no hand holding. There are many ways to proceed and many ways to power. Also, many ways to die. It’s unforgiving but, with perseverance, eventually what was hard becomes easier. The art and animations in the game are so excellent. It all combines to create a brooding, atmospheric environment that feels very real. The areas are really one seamless world and their architecture is breathtaking in scope and consistency between areas. It’s an amazing accomplishment and I see why the game has sold millions of copies. It’s one of the best games I’ve ever played.

So, don’t give up on it yet. If some old geezer like me, that had a few decades on you and has never used a controller before can do it, so can you. It’s worth it.

Also, the dsfix mod is a must. Make sure you text edit the config file and set it to your preferred resolution and that will make it look very much nicer indeed. Be careful setting your frame rate to over 30 though, as it will make your jumps shorter and that’s a killer for certain jumps you have to make. I had my frame rate set to 59 for the first part of the game and couldn’t understand why I couldn’t make those jumps. I changed it after doing some googling and no problems since. There also a setting in there that disables the intro videos which is a nice quality of life thing.

There aren’t any jumps you have to make.

I applaud your enthusiasm, but one of the challenges for new players is navigating all the helpful tips from the true believers. Right now Jeff just needs to kill the damn first boss. I wouldn’t confise him about 60 fps in DSfix. It will be fine.

Learning to navigate 3D space on a gamepad by playing Dark Souls is definitely frustrating. I raged and raged.

On a PC you need to play these games with a controller. The m/kb just doesn’t do it. DS1 is probably the better game, but I think DS2 may be “friendlier” at the beginning. Both follow the same basic pattern though.

One other thing, because Dark Souls is not user friendly and because objects are often not described very well (you will do a lot of wondering what something does and is this better than that etc) there is quite a community built up around the game. This is one of the few games I have played where I have spent time on a wiki learning about things, or talking like this on forums asking about things, or even watching youtube Let’s Play videos on battles. Many battles are won because you eventually figure out the enemies moves and then you learn how to counter them.

If you don’t mind Let’s Play videos I would recommend Kay Play’s Dark Souls. She plays blind, really blind, which means that in watching them you don’t get spoiled as to what may be ahead of the video you are watching. She is also perhaps the smartest damn Dark Souls player I have ever watched.

Actually, the roll you have to make at Fireshrine to get back to the Asylum the second time can’t be made at 60 fps. I tried and tried (both jumping and rolling) and came up short every time. That’s what got me to change my settings back to 30 and then it was cake the first time and every time since.

Edit: That said, I read that you can hit the backspace key to disable the 60 fps and then once you make the jump, enable it again.

I vaguely remember now it was impossible in later versions of DSfix. But anyway, like you said, no need to slum around at 30 fps (or worry about setting it to 60) for an optional area he can deal with later. When (if) he gets there he’ll know there’s an issue.

Poop!

So the DXfix works on my computer, but when I try to play via Steamlink it doesn’t do anything. Soooo close to being able to play this on my couch :) Any ideas what might be going on?

It’s an injector/hook if I remember correctly so it’s possible it’s being ignored or overridden by other injectors (possibly related to big picture/steamlink, I have no experience with these devices so I don’t know how exactly they work), depending on the startup process. Which part doesn’t work, fps, internal resolution, or nothing at all?

Does Tom have an archive of his streams? I’d like to watch that too!

None of it works :(
it sure works good on my computer when steamlink is off though.

He does!

That link is the original post in that thread, it has links to all his streams. You’ll notice he started streaming with a whole week of Dark Souls 3. That’s what me and krayzkrok and others watched, and we all got the Dark Souls bug and we all played through Dark Souls after that. The stream definitely inspired me. Especially the first one where he got past that first boss after so many tries.

Here is a link to his very first session, that I’m talking about:

Ohhhh thanks a ton Rock8man!

Yes, when playing most RPGs I will attack civilians and shopkeepers etc to see what will happen. I also often reload and choose other conversations. I like to explore all the opportunities available to me!

Hahahahaha me too!!!

Well, don’t do that in a Dark Souls game.

And that merchant is very early in the game. You should just start over, knowing what you know it wouldn’t take very long to get back there.