Dark Souls 2 PC

[EDIT] The request below is pretty much obsolete now. Feel free to talk about the game, but please leave the obvious spoilers for the smoking room.

The release date is April 25th, 2014.

The purpose of this thread is to allow those of us waiting for the PC version to hide from spoilers from people playing the console version that comes out the week of March 11th.

If you have played the console version, do not post spoilers, even to answer questions. Mutual discovery is the only joy that comes from the obfuscation in these games. Don’t take that away from us. Let us PC players discover the game together organically as we move along. Obviously we will start to openly discuss things as the majority of us make it through the game. In a few months everything will be out in the open. Don’t rush it.

The model here is the Game of Thrones thread. People who watched the show but did not read the books starting posting questions amongst themselves, and the readers “helpfully” jumped in to explain things that hadn’t been presented in the show. Please resist that urge.

However, I personally won’t be able to make it 7 weeks without hearing something about the game. I’d like to hear very generic impressions. How are the new animations? Does the invasion system break the flow of exploration? I think it helps to set expectations when playing this series, especially for things that suck. We just don’t need to hear location names, boss names, or a detailed explanation about how to min-max your stats on day 1 of the PC release. The obvious stuff.

If you want to go in blind, skip this thread entirely.

A brief nerd rant on spoiler threads

I dislike them. Too much interesting spoiler-free content gets dumped there. Just use your discretion with tags until a vast majority of players have moved beyond the topic in question. Or simply consider whether it’s important at all. You don’t need to tell us that Awesome Boss at Awesome Location is awesome. The people who made it there already know that, and the people who haven’t made it there don’t want to be spoiled. Talk about something else.

I heard that in Dark Souls 2 there is a lot of dying.

Dying

Lots of it.

Seriously though, what’s the skinny on the port this time? Are they going to actually do the work or are they relying on fans to patch it for them?

They’re doing it, they say it’s going to be good, it’s Steamworks, AND OH MY GOD I DO NOT WANT TO WAIT UNTIL APRIL 25.

People play this game on a couch? A couch. Dark Souls? It’s supposed to hurt. Fuck.

I am going to be so whiney on the 11th.

Inform your friends and family that you may be a little irritable between March 11th and April 25th. Then you’ll be a lot irritable.

Well, you won’t anyway. You’ll be telling us about those delightful rose bushes you smelled in the Doom Forest or something.

60 fps, improved textures, better kbm support. I’ll still use the gamepad for it though.

I hope the M/K support is at least decent this time around. I have a gamepad but I just really dislike how imprecise they are, I’d prefer not to use it but I will if it’s clearly superior for the game.

This game is already out in the wild and being streamed on twitch. I caved and watched about 30 minutes of 2 different streams. If you are holding out for the PC version you can take solace in the fact that it doesn’t look very good on consoles, but they did put a lot of work into the combat animations. Better textures and higher resolutions should make a big difference.

I am a crazy fan so I am going to double dip on this game, I can’t imagine waiting another month and a half to play. Heck I’ll probably triple dip if the game is available to download on PSN at midnight.

WOW they want almost 2x the US price here, $90 on the Au Steam store. Luckily Greenman is selling to us for this title, so with the 20% voucher that’s $40… weeee!

I wonder why there is an ‘enhanced frame rate option’, shouldn’t it just be standard? Sounds odd.

This is a game I have no problem buying twice. A bit annoyed that it’s been released on the PS4 at the same time as the PS3, but I can’t not immediately play the game, so it’ll be the 2nd PS3 game I’ve bought in a week and I’ll upgrade to the PC version when available.

I may just have to rent a console + the game, then buy it for real when it comes out on PC. Shit. Shit. I have the weekend to think it over.

I’m really looking forward to watching people play this on twitch. I managed to get to the blacksmith when I was playing myself, but after watching some of the encounters later in the game I decided it wasn’t worth the frustration of playing anymore. Fun game to watch other people playing though, I especially hope Jeff Green streams a playthough. His Dark Souls run was amazing entertainment.

Holy cow, somehow I haven’t even thought about getting the game on PSN at midnight. I never used PSN to buy games before.

Thank you, man, you probably made me triple dip as well! :)

The game is not coming out on the PS4, hasn’t even been announced for it.

Are there any videos of the PC version ? Because one gameplay video I saw (one with Serafinowicz for PS access) made the game look like shit - much worse than DS1 (at least the one I played on PC). Kinda deflated my hype.

If you read Desslock’s post carefully you can tell he just forgot to type a “not” in his sentence. Not being released on the PS4. I’m also annoyed by that. And I don’t have a working PS3 anymore, so the 360 is my only choice at first, and then the PC version later. And hopefully an XB1 or PS4 version later. I’d definitely wait for those if I knew they were coming for sure, which is probably why they haven’t announced them even if they are working on them.

The IGN first gameplay video was done on PC, I think – it looked fantastic.

Oops, you are right, stupid me. :)

DS2 could definitely be a console selling game if the XB1/PS4 version came out at the same time. At least for me.

Neogaf is having meltdowns over the graphic downgrades from preview versions:

I really hope PC version will look as advertised too. The new gameplay videos look incredibly bland and dull, visually.

Are there any recent gameplay videos that don’t spoil bosses or cool places? I’d like to see what you’re talking about with this blandness.

That sentence was supposed to read “bit annoying that it’s not coming out on the PC at the same time…”