Dark Souls 2 PC

I broke my last weapon. Sigh. Swung it one too many times by mistake.

Now every fight with a 50 soul pug is an epic battle. Enemies that used to go down in 3 or 4 hits now take 30 to 40 hits.

It just takes too long now. I guess getting to that hag with the blacksmith key is now an epically important quest now. But a seemingly impossible one now. I can take them even at 30-40 hits as long as I’m just fighting one at a time, but sometimes you have to fight two at once, and then it’s just sooooo long a battle, because you have to keep retreating constantly.

Rock8man, do you happen to have some soul items in your inventory? You may have picked up some items that can be used for a varying amount of souls. Soul of a Lost Undead or something similar.

Sure. Yeah, I have those. I think I picked up two of them.

Okay, you can use those and then buy the key. MAYBE. I’d look up on the wiki how many souls they give you first.

Then of course you’ll have to pay in souls to repair your weapons. I’m not sure if you’ll have enough but maybe it’s a way out of the quandary you’ve found yourself in.

Oh, that’s not the problem. Souls are definitely not the problem. It’s getting to the lady who has the key. There’s a LOOOOOOOT of enemies between me and her. And each of the enemies is like an epic boss fight now that my last weapon is broken.

Oh, bleh. You’ve not reached her before? You are aware you can fast travel via bonfire? I’m just covering the bases here, sorry for the (probably incredibly) stupid questions. If you’ve not made it to that bonfire yet, I’m out of ideas other than trying to run past everything, and I have no idea if that’d work on the new edition.

I am thinking that the only way to reach her is to start the game over. Now that I know about repairing weapons at the bonfire, I should be able to reach her with no problems. But I was hoping to find some other solution. Giving up seems very… un-Soulish.

Did you pick up the knife from the tutorial area? Two hand it. The enemies should have dropped some weapons by now too I think.

Yes, I believe so. The knife was really good, but it broke faster than anything else. I killed 2, maybe 3 enemies before it broke. And enemies did drop one sword so far, but most of the time they either drop a life gem, or shoes. The broken sword they dropped was the only weapon drop so far.

It was a dagger, actually. I just used it to try to go from Majula to the tower bonfire where the merchant is. I made it to the tunnel past the fog gate killing every enemy in my way before the dagger broke. I might have made it if I didn’t bother to kill a few extra enemies in the rotunda. And of course you can always try to run past everything.

Be careful not to attack walls with it. The real durability bug also occurs when you attack corpses. There’s a problem in the code that makes weapons lose durability faster that way. So be careful with extra swings on dead enemies until you have a few weapons you can switch between.

I don’t really have a solution for how not to hit walls. I can tell it hurts durability a lot, but when I’m in a narrow hallway, both swings (R1 and R2) swing wide enough to hit the walls nearly every time. This is especially true in the little hallway after climbing up the ladder and then down the bones into the narrow hallway below.

I’ll have to look up where to find that dagger though. That sounds like a good solution if I can find it.

EDIT: Aha! Internet says it’s in a fog gate in the torch lighting area. I didn’t go into any of the fog gates since fog gates always meant death in Demon’s Souls.

Yeah, they also meant death in Dark Souls but they’ve changed things up a little here. Look for messages before gates to help determine if it’s a boss or not.

There are not always Boss Fights behind fog doors in DS2. Sometimes, I can think of at least two, there is a bonfire behind them. Other times it is just more “area” to explore.

Weapons will “heal” when you rest at a bonfire. Once broken you need a blacksmith. Weapon repair is not expensive. Bonfires in DS2 are closer together than in DS1.

I would also recommend you watch a Kay Plays video on youtube for an area if you are having trouble with it. She plays without help and is very interesting to watch. She also doesn’t create an uber character for her videos.

As soon as I got home from work today, I immediately started DS2 to implement Tim James’ plan. I backtracked all the way to the start, went through the first misty blockade in the first area. At first it was tough going. There’s “weak” enemies there, who thankfully go down in only 10 or so hits with broken weapons. I made it all the way through and found a dagger!

Aha! A non-broken weapon! And then I went back up that ladder in the Forest of Fallen Giants, through the little tunnel, killed the weaker and stronger enemies there thanks to my non-broken dagger! It was so exciting. The same enemies that I was used to trying to take down with 30 hits now went down with four or five hits with the dagger. I did die a couple of times, but I always did a successful retrieval, and finally got to the next bonfire with the vendor who sells the blacksmith key! Yay!

I bought the key, and used the teleporter array to beam myself back to the blacksmith. I used the key to unlock the door, and then teleported back to where I was, only to get killed by 3 interesting enemies. Gah! Would I finally have a blacksmith but no souls? So I went back to retrieve my souls, and luckily, it was pretty much a piece of cake. I don’t know why I’m so nervous. With this plain dagger in my hand, I almost feel like a demi-god. I mean, I can take these guys down sooooo fast compared to before, how can I not feel powerful?

I turned around, went back to the blacksmith who had now setup shop, and repaired all my broken weapons! Hurrah! I even upgraded my Thief Sword to Thief Sword+1. I don’t know where I got the ingredients to make that happen, but if my experience with Demon’s Souls is any indication, that will probably not happen again for a long, long time.

Thank you Tim James, for that brilliant idea of getting the dagger. I never could have made it to the blacksmith key without it.

You’re welcome, I guess. :) It all sounds a little silly to be running around with broken weapons, but I guess it’s bound to happen to someone. Glad you’re back on the right track.

It sounds like you ran into some bad luck or something Rock8man, I don;t think I had any issues with always having a fresh weapon. I hope you get the chance to enjoy the game now!

I made it to the bottom of Brightstone Cove Tseldora. Fought the Boss, fought Tseldora and the guy near the bonfire. I then went in, as I had with all the other major Boss bonfires and lit it, which led to something happening I had not expected.

I am trying hard not to spoiler this.

So what happened? I ran like hell out of there and returned to level up in Majula, then quit for the night. But I think I need, or just want to go back there to see what happened.

Must be new since I don’t know what you’re talking about. I wish I had time to play Scholar soon.

You definitely should go back and investigate. The first time it happened to me, I was totally freaked out.

Assuming it’s

very mild spoiler

The fire guy erupting out of the bonfire

Btw, I finished the first DLC, made significant progress in the 3rd and just started the 2nd. Right now, old iron and ivory just feel like slogs. DS2 lulls one in with all its ease of use, anti-frustration mechanisms. These 2 DLCs ratchet it up, at least for me, with some ridiculously painful sections and moments.