Dark Souls 2 PC

Okay, so I stopped with Dark Souls 2 about eight months ago, about 2/3 of the way through the game. Should I pick up the new version with the DLC and start over? Or should I go back and finish the base game first?

It’s a decent deal with all the DLC, which is solid. It also wouldn’t hurt for you to finish off your original game to make sure you still enjoy it.

I still haven’t touched the DLC. I created a new dual wield character – something I’ve never played – with the DLC in mind, but I’ve yet to finish off the first area. A surplus of awesome games makes replaying DS2 a bit problematic. :( I guess it’ll sit for a while.

Trying this out might have been a bad idea. Now all I want to do is play it!

I was in bed last night seriously considering whether to get up and play some more.

Hello, my name is Tim James and I am a Soulsaholic.

I’m not an addict, I can quit anytime.

So long as it’s Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

Come on, Tim, tell us more about your build… #enabling

Let me tell you, it feels really silly to upgrade a club.

I’m just waiting for my old friend the large club, then maybe a lategame giant hammer. I hope those weapons haven’t moved around too much.

I almost started as a bandit for the armor, but I have to go with deprived. The imported set (plus a few pieces of hollow armor) still looks nice and disheveled.

I’m sad I already died once, to a Heide spear night. Running out of stamina locks you in place for an eternity compared to Bloodborne, and DS enemies have that wonderfully maddening habit of hitting you at the end of your roll.

Is the death penalty really severe in DS2? That’s the one thing I’m worried about before I jump in and grab this once I’m done with Bloodborne. I read that you permanently lose health each time you die so it sounds pretty nasty.

Unlike in DS1 with each death your health drops until you get to the 50% mark. Now you can raise that back to 100% with a humanity, by killing a major boss or by finding a certain object that will limit the loss to 75%.

I have actually played 90% of the game at that 75% level, even defeated bosses at that level.

Overall I think DS2 is a more player “friendly” game.

I wish every game had the fight mechanics of Dark Souls. Can you imagine playing the Dragon Age games with the DS fighting stye? :)

Do you like co-op? Helping people is another way to go back to full health.

But yeah, I played the entire game with the 75% minimum health ring and the durability ring (both of which you get somewhat early) and never had a problem with either issue. Conceptually they are pretty dumb systems, but in practice you can work around them.

Kind of like blood vial farming. :)

Ok cool, thanks - now just need to have the durability bug fixed and I’ll be set to wade in!

That becomes pretty much a non-issue (at least on PC) after you get a little ways into the game. Each bonfire stop repairs your equipment and DS2 has a lot more bonfires than DS1. You just need to develop more than one weapon of choice.

Yeah like we’ve been saying, the durability bug won’t slow you down if you’re the least bit flexible and/or acquire a helpful ring 5-10 hours into the game.

If you’re a cranky gamer who can’t get past certain issues on principle, then maybe wait for the patch. :)

Speaking of which, I just started a rapier build character and ran her through the Forest and Heide’s. Just inject it into my veins.

Thrusting swords are so much fun.

But I was thinking today about how I’m pretty much out of builds that interest me. Aside from creative PvP builds, which I’d like to avoid, the only other thing I’d try to do is a no-bonfire/no-death run. Maybe next year after I’ve wrapped up my backlog.

Please elaborate. ;)

Wow, they put a shortcut in No Man’s Wharf! I love the B team.

Just took out the Hitbox Madness boss in Sinner’s Rise with help from an old friend.