Dark Souls 2 PC

I can think of two shortcuts that existed previously. Did they add a third?

A lot of areas have shortcuts that open up from the bonfire to the boss after you have been through the area once. It is just a matter of getting far enough to find that short cut the first time out.

There is a bridge you can lower near the mage. Quick run to the boss, not that I ever need it. :)

Oh, that’s new? For some reason I thought I remembered that being there before. You’d certainly know a lot better than I, though!!

I defend DS2’s weaknesses, but it’s pretty painful going back to these weapon hitboxes after Bloodborne. The attack frames are active for so long, all they have to do is breathe on you. After a while you get used to the dodge timing (or level up and get more invincibility frames in your dodge). But there’s something to be said for how easy it is to avoid damage in BB.

The hitboxes for sure (Hi Pursuer!), and for me the way they neutered parries and backstabs. What got me into Demon’s Souls in the firstplace was the parry mechanic, so it was a huge letdown after DS and DkS that a successful riposte leaves you more vulnerable during the animation frames than if you did just about anything else. That, and not being able to parry 2-handed great weapons at all.

I was thinking today they probably designed the game around shield use and patiently retreating. I’m kind of playing it like Bloodborne where I barely even dodge, so I’m pushing the game at its seams.

Since I started with Dark Souls, I rarely parried in PvE. Can’t complain there. I’ll keep that in mind for Demon’s Souls!

Dark Souls 2 multiplayer just blows away Bloodborne. 3v2 in Belfry Sol, multiple phantom types joining the melee, and so much build variety.

I don’t see many signs at the Iron Keep bridge anymore. Either my level is too low (101) or the community has moved somewhere else. I do love that they give you more cracked red eye orbs to do invasions even in NG. Such a joy. I’m also swimming in upgrade materials. I love Scholar.

I noticed they took away one of the secret shortcuts. At the bonfire before Belfry Sol, you could roll from the top of the ladder down to the platform below, effectively using that bonfire as a checkpoint without having to run through the belfry. There’s a gate wall there now. From giveth and From taketh.

Got the Smelter Demon on my first try. After fighting him almost 100 times across all my characters, his subtle attack timing is burned into my brain.

I was getting invaded quite a bit at the Iron Keep, I don’t think my SL was too far off of yours. This was a few weeks back, though.

Actually, the bizarre thing is that in DS, a shield with 100 physical reduction and high guard break reduction was the safest bet all around. Grab a Steel Shield and you can hide behind that for days. Parrying was more reflex based and dependent on where the enemy weapon was, and you could do it to enemies you wouldn’t naturally expect to be able to. Backstabs were nice little consolation prizes in PvE, but at least they meshed well if you decided to go with heavy (bash instead of parry) shields.

DkS I think backed off from shields and made backstabs really strong in that as long as you were still holding the proper strafing direction, it would suck the enemy in. Parries were more dependent on where the enemy’s hand was instead of the weapon (except for grr spear users). That was weird coming off of DS, but once I figured that out parrying got a lot easier to time. But still, the super delayed swings, in hindsight of DkS2, sort of suggest that From really wanted to mess with the parry/riposte mechanic.

DkS2 was especially frustrating and disappointing in that, despite learning those two systems of parrying, not only was there an inserted delay before you could riposte a successful parry (guardbash riposte notwithstanding), but you were left vulnerable to damage from everything else. You can really only riposte in a 1-on-1, in which case… why bother? Single enemies are easy, and From knows this by rarely making single enemies present without tedious kiting.

Can’t justify a PS4 yet, but after DkS2 I’m rather looking forward to what seems to be the re-emphasis on parrying in Bloodborne.

I really liked playing through this remix. They did a great job with the new enemy placement and minibosses everywhere.

Bloodborne made me super lazy though. I don’t feel like trudging through some of the optional bosses and most of the DLC. So I’m definitely done with it unless I come back years from now to try a no death / no bonfire run. Seems doubtful!

So long, Dark Souls II!

As someone who has never played Bloodborne, can you explain the “made me super lazy” comment?

It’s just harder to dodge in DS2. Requires more patience and timing. It was fun when I was into it, but now I don’t feel like learning the rhythm anymore.

I thought this was a pretty interesting article on DS2 design: http://theludite.com/2014/12/19/dark-souls-2-difficulty-dissected/

That was a nice article. Thanks for the link. I do thoroughly disagree with it, but it’s a well presented case (that makes the assumption a certain kind of game/play/experience is inherently better than others, without taking into account personal preference).

Counterpoint:

NES Castlevania sucks. Shrine of Amana sucks. Ornstein & Smough suck too.

Dark Souls II is super fun because roll dodging never gets old.

I’m losing my resistance to purchasing Scholar of the First Sin. After playing Risen 3 I’m longing for Dark Souls 2 combat. Taking a quick look back in this thread and remembering comments from elsewhere, most people seem pretty positive about Scholar of the First Sin, right? I think I finished the game and maybe a NG+ in DS2 in vanilla. I may have even started another character too.

How many of you guys played by successfully parrying a lot? I was able to occasionally pull it off but I eventually gave up and went back to using a shield or just dodging.

I never liked parry, but I’m not a hardcore DS2 player either. The controls/timing felt way too finicky to me for a game that punishes you pretty harshly for getting hit.

I’m having a blast with the DLC parts of First Sin, those are pretty much the three best areas of Dark Souls II and some of the best areas in the series, period. I think all the Souls games are roughly equal in quality, but could Dark Souls II be the best one… is it heresy to say so? Seems like the “consensus” is that it’s the worst one or something.

Never been much for parrying, honestly. If anything, I think the emphasis on it in Bloodborne is a flaw. Bring back our shields!

Crap. I decided to finally give in and get Scholar of the First Sin at GreenManGaming as a VIP deal for $25 and the bloody thing is sold out. Teach me to drag my feet.