Dark Souls 3

Ok, so I’m sure you all know this, but the rolling thing in DS3 is tweaked a bit. Same formulae for fat roll, mid roll, fast roll, however, both mid and fast give you the same IFrames (13), fast just moves you further.

I’m fast roll for life, but in this game I’ve been using the mid so I can actually wear armor for once, and it works just fine.

edit for wiki inclusion:

Weight Ratio %

Effect

29.9% or less Fastest state: very fast rolls that go the farthest, with 13 iframes. Fast backsteps.

30.0% – 69.9% Regular state: medium rolls with 13 iframes. Fast backsteps.

70.0% – 99.9% Slow state (“fat rolling”): slow and short rolls with 12 iframes. Slow backsteps. Stamina regenerates about 20% slower.*

100.0% or higher Overburdened: cannot roll, backstep or run. The walking animation changes.

Here is a chart Tim James linked in the DS2 thread—

What’s that last entry, “quickstep”, with all those green i-frames?

Edit: Oh nice, it’s a skill:

For weapons such as daggers. I guess it gives a nice extra incentive to go with the Thief lifestyle.

I saw it in KayPlays first DS3 video. You sort of dodge around an attack and end up behind the enemy. Looks pretty cool, but not really the type of character I’m going for.

I did not know this.

That chart makes me miss Dark Souls 1’s fatroll. Look at that thing! I used to switch to Havel’s armor all the time and fatroll fatroll fatroll. What helped was the fact that it had such high poise, so even if you get hit in the red frames, I think I was fine for the most part. I love the term fatroll. Whoever first named it that was genius.

I’m trying not to feel bad but I still can’t get anything done against the first boss. I even made a pyromancer but can never put enough dodges together to stay out of reach long enough to get even a few shots in. I’m so so bad at this. Lol

Watching Tom deal with it in his first livestream helped me a lot back in the day.

That’s lined up with when he first goes in there to fight Iudex.

The important thing I learned there was his persistence. Trying different things, not giving up after a try or two, just keeping at it. It was really the spark I needed to get better at Dark Souls.

And if you want to see where he finally got him, here is the video lined up to the run where he made it:

It’s definitely a thing of beauty because it’s over an hour and a half later and it’s still a really hard fought victory.

Wow, thx. Even as a knight I sure feel like I take a shit load more damage when hit than Tom did. Like once I’m hit I get stunned and lose 1/3 to half my hp then take one or two more hits and I’m done for. Obviously it can be done but screw me.

I just read up on instability because of Scott’s info above about invincibility frames, and it sounds like you’re getting hit during instability frames.

https://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Instability

Those are the red squares in the chart posted above.

The DLC are never essential. But they are different, have some good bosses and the Ringed City DLC kind of wraps things up. It also still has a lot of people playing it so there is invasion action, if you areinto that.

Love her videos. There is a Portugese woman who does great videos as well. Her accent makes her sound Russian but she is Portugese. Very entertaining and very good at the game. I can’t remember her name though. I think she does show up if you google DS videos.

If you haven’t already used them the firebombs you find before you get to the first boss work great against his second form. Also, hig his left side, you moving right. And don’t get greedy. 1-2 hits then get out of there. Rinse repeat.

Is it just me, or do enemies have some insane tracking in this game. Fighting against knights, and rolling behind during their attack animation only to have them spin like tops and hit me anyway is…not fun.

How can I set the bombs so that I can throw them without going to the damned inventory screen? Can’t you set them instead of the potions or instead of a shield or spell?

It’s the bottom row of the equipment tab where you set those, and then you cycle through them with down on the D-pad.

Actually it might just be one particular attack of the knights, although I think that Fat Halbardier has some crazy tracking attacks, too. Maybe it’s just his swings are enormous.

Oh, also it seems like the twinblades don’t have a “weapon art,” although I guess on the upside I can use all my estus allotments for normal flasks…

High Wall down, boss was easier than the knights! Level 21, not sure where I ought to be putting my levels. Mostly health for now, a little endurance, less dex…

Yes. Although if you are lame like me you put as few things in those slots as possible because I am always accidentley hitting the rotate button.

As I said above the Knights are great for practicing against and farming their equipment. What you do with levels depends on your play style. I usually go all out for endurance early because it helps you get that extra swing or two in and also helps you roll out of the way when you need it. Dex or strength depends on your weapon choice.

Yeah they do. If you go over the posts in this thread you’ll probably find some posts of mine where I bitched about this and some other things, like enemy combos that are too long, or enemies with infinite stamina. It feels like game wants to be BB but the old DS combat system can’t keep up.

Mind you, this is despite getting platinum on release. I love the series to death but I firmly believe it needs new leadership, Miyazaki lost his touch.