Dark Souls 3

Thanks for the tip. I had heard the next area before the AW fight, but then you have to avoid the darkwraiths.

I’ll keep the badge on and maybe get summoned a few times. Who knows.

Sword grass was easy. I gave up on farming ears last night and rolled over to NG+. The stars must have aligned as I was summoned every 5 minutes or so as Darkmoon. I have enough ears now for rank 2 before finishing Undead Settlement at SL120.

Yeah there are summoning ranges that work for proofs. I wouldn’t farm.

Don’t forget weapon level matters too now. I tried to stay a level or two lower than I had titanite for and that worked great, but I don’t know the actual ranges so don’t quote me.

Once I wrap up Sunbros I’ll try for 10 of the tongues. It’s going to be pretty wild with all the gank squads. Glad I only need 10.

The non-farming method for tongues and shackles is just dumb. You ALWAYS invade in 2v1 or 3v1, so your chances are pretty miserable unless you trick people into getting alone in an elevator with you. I stink at PvP, but this is just too much… it’s one of the few bad tweaks Dark Souls III brought back from Bloodborne.

The easiest method to ‘farm’ shackles and tongues is to get a friend to summon you with RSS at a bonfire that has a cliff nearby (like Cliff Underside in Undead Settlement). Once you’re in his session he jumps off and you get the reward that matches your currently equipped covenant items. You can do roughly 2 summons per minute so it’s very fast.

Shackles was fun and easy. Get into the covenant early, then put your sign down by the Undead Settlement bonfire. You’ll be summoned quickly. Maybe 50% of the time was a fight club. The rest was some clueless person that didn’t realize what mad phantoms were. I helped him light the next bonfire, then tried to figure out a way to kill him when he was weak. Very little downside for the player, so all in good fun.

The problem the Wolf Covenant has is that range is like literally 2-5 levels. By the time you finish the zone you’ve probably out levelled the covenant. Add in that people start upgrading weapons to +4 around there and it just falls apart.

I’ve heard it works fine on NG+, but in NG it’s practically impossible to actually get the things the way it was intended. They were nice enough to give you a quick farming spot though, so I guess there is that.

The hollowing infusion works with the whole hollowing effect doesn’t it? I haven’t figured out what this hollowing system is all about yet or if I should do it or not…

Hollow infusion on its own adds luck scaling to a weapon but it also adds +5 luck (works on weapons and some shields) if your hollowing level is at least 15. Hollowing system itself is otherwise used for a quest and to make you look like beef jerky, I haven’t noticed any gameplay implications.

Gah, I chose to kill a certain someone at the end, now I didn’t get any trophy for beating the game. Ugh, this game its platinum requirements.

So if you back up your file and re-download it, does it void achievements or something? I’ve never actually done it.

It should work if you restore a save. There might be extra steps involved to make the backup work. Not sure.

And after 63 hours, I’ve finally beat my first Dark Souls game. Granted, I probably summoned help on about half of the bosses, but I still count it as a personal achievement.

Great job. Now you’re equipped to tackle any of these games if you choose.

Congrats!

For the first time in a long time I’m bogged down with alts and I’ve been seriously experimenting with huge weapons which were never a big favorite of mine before.

My warrior is currently alternating between the Astora greatsword and dark sword with just enough stats to use Carthas flame weapon buff, my knight is using the black knight sword and my dex character is having a ball with the Farron greatsword. I also have a large club wielding pyro. Might have her use a mace as a secondary option.

Still haven’t gotten around to a pure magic or faith build, but I want to lol.

Trying to decide on a good stopping point myself. I’m not as addicted to making new builds as I was in DS2. I like the game, I think I’m just starting to get burned out of the series.

Need 2 more playthroughs for the cheevos, then I want to make an Irithyll co-op character. Might go halfway into NG+ with a great mace. Maybe leave it in a good spot for the DLC, whenever that comes out. Probably skip the assassin for now.

Phew, finally completed all the covenant-related tasks. On another topic, two new things I noticed:

1. I hadn’t noticed you can see every landmark in the game at the spot where you are supposed to use the Lothric banner, even “that” other place in the foggy distance. It’s a great sign of things to come. The only place you can’t see is the starting graveyard, but I think that’s on the other side of Lothric castle.

2. It’s getting clearer and clearer to me that Dark Souls III hates Dark Souls II. First, almost every single character shows up from the original Dark Souls in some form. Then again, things come back from Dark Souls II (let’s face it Dark Souls II has the coolest armor sets), but they don’t quite get the same treatment:

• Shield of Want is Vendrick’s shield but “his” name doesn’t ever show up in the game and the item description says “In the end, he was no king”, which could be a stab at him or an oblique reference to DSII’s story.

• The “Drang” set is Llewellyn’s set from DSII and short for Drangleic, DSII’s kingdom (couldn’t have the actual name in there, I guess) and the item description says it’s from the “proclaimed descendants from the land known for the legend of the Linking of the Fire”, which sort of makes it sound like the legend is not true.

• The only character from DSII that shows up is laddersmith Gilligan and he’s dead in a stupid pose.

• The Blue Sentinels show up again to protect the guys from the Way of Blue, but the Blades of the Darkmoon show up again from DS and the covenant description says they are “the original Blue Sentinels”, which is totally a lie as they didn’t protect players from invaders. On top of that, the Darkmoons seem to make the Sentinels useless as they do the same thing, but being a Darkmoon also lets you kill Aldrich invaders for double covenant rewards, from what I understand anyway.

It’s all in the subtext!

DLC news: I saw that one will be in 2016 and the other one will be in 2017.

Nice, delivered with the vagueness typical for the franchise.

Holy crap I had no idea the laddersmith was in ds3