Dark Souls 3

I forgot how shit low-damage split-damage weapons were in Dark Souls 1 (physical/fire as an example) and didn’t realize they’re still terrible in DS3. Because of this, I imbued a rapier with fire a few days ago, and it’s turned out to be complete crap because of the stupid way damage reduction and mitigation continues to be handled. Maybe rapiers are better as 100% physical damage weapons, but for now I’m swapping between a cursed spear and frosted longsword, both of which apply effects instead of doing secondary elemenal damage.

I’m currently running around Cleansing Chapel… which should probably be “cleansed” from orbit.

I just completed Dark Souls III for the first time. Wow, amazing game. Not sure why I’m not seeing it on more GOTY lists. It does have a couple weak spots I wish could have been handled better: It suffers from debilitating frame rate issues in sections of Ariendel and Lothric Castle on my Xbox One, it seemed a little too linear early on, boss variety (mostly just different-sized humanoids), and the Profaned Capital and associated Yhorm fight both seem rushed and unfinished… which is odd considering the heaping amounts of content and polish most other places offer (and because of these massive amounts of this polish and content, I feel like an asshole even pointing this out). But in the end, these issues barely affected the experience as a whole.

Because I’m posting from a phone I won’t say much more, but at the end of the final battle I got an achievement that hints I only completed one of several different endings (I linked the fire and credits rolled). Without spoiling anything major, is this actually the case? Is it possible to resolve the game in different interesting or meaningful ways? Sounds intriguing if so.

This game has forced me to reconsider picking up a used PS4 for the explicit purpose of playing through Bloodborne. DS3 was just that good, and has left me starving for more. Now I have to choose between starting over in NG+ or finishing my Deus Ex 4 playthrough.

And I just started Dark Souls III for the first time. Looking good so far though I’m only to the high wall as a cleric. So much exploring to do!!

[quote=“kerzain, post:1051, topic:76962, full:true”]
Because I’m posting from a phone I won’t say much more, but at the end of the final battle I got an achievement that hints I only completed one of several different endings (I linked the fire and credits rolled). Without spoiling anything major, is this actually the case? Is it possible to resolve the game in different interesting or meaningful ways? Sounds intriguing if so.[/quote]

There are different endings, yes. Are they meaningful? Not so much.

And in other news, this guy seems to have sussed out the name of the second DLC from the game’s file.

Second DLC name revealed

Congrats. Unless you’re burnt out on the formula, you are in for a great ride. It’s like the 3 previous Souls games with a strong design editor.

I just recently got a PS4 and am enjoying Bloodborne. The combat has some major differences, but it is a Souls game through and through.

Almost done with the Undead Settlement. Tried the boss fight once and it didn’t seem terribly had. Died to a simple mistake though so now clearing out the rest of the area before going back in. Maybe there’s a second boss too,b haven’t read ahead so I can avoid spoilers. My cleric faith/melee build is working pretty well so far.

I went back and replayed Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 over the holidays. I think I’ve come out of that with a higher opinion of Dark Souls 3 than I had when I finished it.

DS 2 is definitely the weakest of the series. But I am ashamed to admit I never beat Fume Knight. So maybe it’s the best of the series, because it bested me.

Dark Souls 2 is shit. I’ve tried multiple times over the years to play it. On both Steam and Xbox. But it is just so horrible I just can’t bring myself to spend more than a couple hours in the world before I’m overcome with the taste of bile rising in my throat.

From an artistic/mood/ambiance standpoint, to the wretched controls (with controller anyway), to the goofy, stupid looking enemies, to the dreadful world/dungeon layout and design, the sound effects, the music… If ever some mythical b-team ruined a game, it happened here. What an embarrassment.

This is a sequel that somehow manages to look and play like a game that came out 10 years before its predecessor.

I don’t get the complaint against the controls, they’re the same as the other 2 games

Maybe he means the movement? DS1 feels more ‘analog’ compared to DS2 which apparently has a snap feature that makes it feel like the game only recognizes 8 directions.

That’s only on PC without a hack to fix it. DS2 has smoother mocap animation I believe, so things look weirder.

I disagree. While I feel that it is the worst of the five ‘Souls’ game, and the first part of the game is mostly terrible. It has a lot of things to recommend it.

It feels worse than DS1 to control, but a lot of that is the agility state, which you can increase to get a roll that feels like DS1. Also the reworked parry is bad.

But some of the boss design is fantastic. And mechanically it’s tighter and more complete. It’s a good game in a fantastic series.

How was the parry reworked in DS2?

As someone who played Dark Souls and then Demon’s Souls through to 100% achievements and many, many playthroughs, I haven’t played DS2 or 3 and only got about a quarter through Bloodborne. Thinking of jumping straight into DS3 now (I have all the games, but DS2 only on PS3 not PS4) - make sense, or is that a bad idea?

If you hit the parry timing, the enemy is knocked down and you’re in normal control mode (no iframes!) then when they stand up there’s a window to make a riposte attack, which does have iframes. But the delay between the parry and riposte both feels awful and (due in part to DS2 skew towards groups of enemies) opens you up to being bum rushed if you wait for the window.

DS3 parry-riposte works pretty much as DS1.

That makes fine sense. At this point I would only suggest you play DS2 if you want more Souls but are done with the other four games.

I posted this before, but for those who care, here are my definitive and completely objective ‘Souls’ game power rankings:

1. Bloodborne
  2. Dark Souls
  3. Demon Souls
  4. Dark Souls 3
  5. Dark Souls 2

With the only caveat being that Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 are more approachable to new players than the earlier games.

My rankings:

1. Dark Souls: Artorias of the Abyss
  2. Dark Souls 2
  3. Bloodborne
  4. Dark Souls 3
  5. Dark Souls
  6. Demon’s Souls

But at this point I think the only game I’d replay is Bloodborne. It sucks that it’s stuck on the PS4 at 30 fps.

I feel you may have cheated slightly…

I’d love to hear your thoughts on DS2, I’ve not previously heard anyone else express such high regard for it.

Just build variety (at least before they killed a couple builds with balance patches), lots of large humanoid bosses, enemy attack design that rewards forward dodge rolling, and bright and linear levels that are fun to zip through (for the most part). Even the grumblers admit it probably has the best PvP in the series.

But I spent so much time with it that it’s probably the game I’d replay the least now. Bleh.

I’ve had to put DS3 aside and come back to it. Maybe. I’ve encountered some neuro motor difficulties.

I’m playing mouse and keyboard and I can’t get past the first boss. Almost had him one time. I’ve tried like 15+ times. Big thing is that I am so use to ESO that I keep trying to double tap a W,A,S,D key to dodge roll. It’s a really weird feeling because my brain just fires that way now and the thumb moving down to the space bar has to be a conscious decision. I don’t think I can un-train myself. This is what happens when you put thousands of hours into a control scheme. Pavlovian-Skinner nightmare.

What is really funny is how much I was laughing at Tom the night he streamed DS3 and was having so many problems with that boss.

Plus, making you kill those 5 sword skeletons and the crossbow skelie over and over just to get back to the boss so you can die again is a real poke in the eye.