Dark Souls 3

Meh. I think Dark Souls fans have been getting a little bit too accepting by building elaborate a posteriori explanations why every single missed opportunity is actually genius.

Gael is nowhere near as interesting a character and has not enough screen presence to be some kind of foil to the main character’s quest. The main character is a cypher anyway, not much to go on to have a foil. Gael sounds surprised and annoyed to see you anyway, so I doubt it was intended for you to “finish his mission” or something. And how can painting a world require killing almost every human in the universe? How come there are other paintings then?

I’m not even going to bother with this optional boss. What a tedious grind.

The Souls series ends not with a final triumph, but a hurried rush out the door so I can go play more interesting games that I’m busy with.

Pfft I saw you run back to the Nier thread! That games looks great. Maybe I should get around to renting it if I get the chance next week.

Anyway, I was also going to get all mad and rant about the optional boss, but I had an epiphany. He’s not so bad if you have the method:

You’ll have a much, much easier time if you stick close to the head. At the very least, hits cause double damage so the fight will be half as long. You can also pretty easily settle for hitting his chest (he keeps it low) or his front paws, which is better than nothing. His double claw swipe is fairly easy to roll through and always leaves a long opening, even longer if he breathes in front of him after. It’s also much easier to stay in front of him when he does his dark explosion or breathes fire standing up (i.e. when his tail is exposed). The very best part is that with enough hits to the head, you can score a coup de grace, mine was worth more than 4000 damage on NG+2 (20% of his health).

Video link

Saw the head strategy on the wiki. I’ll give it a try tonight so I don’t leave the game on a bad note.

Yeah the head strategy and respecing to a high damage weapon makes it pretty easy. Only took me 3 tries.

Did the new covenant once and the guy killed me on a parry. I cheered with him.

Uninstalled. Bye for now, Dark Souls.

Everyone playing the DLC, and here is me trying to get to the end of the core game still… :p

Finally made it through the Profaned Capital, and came up against this guy, nothing worse than losing 99k souls in like 20 seconds, lulz I say.

So… I cheated! I wikied what to do as during my first encounter I was barely doing 140hp of damage. I still died 4 more times before I got past him. Truthfully, charging up the sword found in that room, without getting hit is the real challenge. Anyways onward to Anor Londo!

Actually the biggest challenge, even if you know what to expect, is finding that fucking sword in your inventory.

So many spoilers!

I’ll sometimes cheat to see what type of damage an enemy is weak / strong against. I just don’t have fun determining that by trial and error. I tend to stay away from strategies though.

I was mostly yelling at lordkosc. :)

Spoiler alert: videogame inventories suck.

Sure, but might as well fix mine too. And Dark Soul inventory is another level of sucking since it throws whatever you pick up into the middle of 100 other items and all you have to go on in the icon… which looks pretty much like everything else half the time.

I fixed them… :p

I suspect he was more concerned about the screenshot than the name of the place. :)

<.<

Fine! It is like all burred now.

Thanks God you didn’t spoil that the true final DLC boss is your character save file from Dark Soul 1 that uploads if you have a PSN cloud save or both on Steam. It’s the surprise that truly makes that battle great.

LOL, I didn’t care myself, I fought that boss a year ago. I guess there must be some people coming to this thread a year later that still haven’t beaten it though, and are expecting to not be spoiled. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

And if you beat it you unlock the HD remake of Demon’s Souls!

You guys suck, I got all excited there for a moment.

Snark about spoilers! We’re pulling out all the stops here, folks!

It was the location of a surprise area that finally triggered me. It’s a dumb surprise but give people a chance.

We could (and maybe should) have a spoiler thread for Dark Souls 3. That being said, it’s been almost a year. If you are spoiler averse to Dark Souls 3 and still haven’t played it, why are you reading this thread? Honestly curious, not being snarky. I wouldn’t have thought twice to drop the name of a location, myself, if I’d been talking about the game at this point?