Dark Souls 3

If you like helping people, then don’t get too burned out early in the game. There is an awesome area to co-op that is a gauntlet for various multiplayer factions and tough enemies, like the swamp on steriods.

I like to put my summons sign down on the weekend when I figure there are people looking for help. I assume at some point the help seekers will disappear and I will stop doing it. But for know it’s an easy way to get souls and an ember.

So after feeling so studly after defeating the boss in the catecombs on my 4th try, solo, I proceeded to get my ass handed to me time after time after time by the damn monster on the bridge.

You can never feel too good by something you do in this game because the game tends to get even.

I decided to fire this game up tonight and replay more or less out of the blue, and one thing I’ve found intensely frustrating is how goddamn aggressive the enemy tracking is. Even mid attack, they will pivot on a dime to follow when I dodge or roll. That, coupled with their seemingly limitless stamina makes it feel much less fun than it seems it should be.

Pretty much, yeah. Even as an experienced player those things really bothered me. It’s not that these two things made the game too hard, they just made it un-fun at times. Also, some enemy combos are ridiculously long. You can back off to let them finish and then spend 10 seconds watching them flail their arms or weapons around.

I feel like From bought into the difficulty narrative from the community a little too much and then didn’t have the right idea how to go about it. Well, that plus trying to cram Bloodborne style of fighting into a game that lacks the tools that would allow you to deal with it (fast dodging).

This was a common complaint about Dark Souls 2. I never noticed in 3, so maybe I was used to it by then.

It depends on the enemy. Some are really good at tracking, some don’t track at all.

Man, the knight near the Tower on the Wall bonfire on the High Wall of Lothric really has my number.

Okay, no, forget him. It’s the Pus of Man guys I can’t stand.

I carry firebombs just for them.

I finally made it through and was able to activate the shortcut that allows me to skip that guy. But boy, they’re not fun to fight.

Run up on the pus of man guys and kill them before they turn. Much easier =)

Yeah, he knows. But, they do drop a titanite shard if you let them turn that first time, and an extra early game shard makes a difference.

It took me awhile to get used to the speed of enemies in DS3, me having never played Bloodborne. But like in other DS games enemies have openings and you just need to be patient and learn their moves.

In DS3 the first knight you meet after the dragon and the red eyed knight in the corner area come as real eye openers early in the game. But the second is optional and you can run around the first if you want.

Ideally, yes. But sometimes that doesn’t happen and later on it’s not an option since they’re already changed.

Having a few firebombs is a good idea for them and the maggot monsters you run into later, just in case.

Also, keep a torch handy. Burn those maggots right out!

I suppose it shouldn’t be a surprise, but I’m going through this much faster than I had expected on a second, post-Bloodborne, playthrough. I was initially thinking of doing a strength build, but found much more success once I ditched my armor and switched to the uchigatana (won by swiftly kicking that sucker off a ledge) and a quicker, more roll-focused style. Vordt went down on the second try, so I can add him to the small but expanding list of bosses I’ve now beaten solo.

If nothing else, it’s given me good cause to revisit Bonfireside Chat.

I don’t know how things are now with DLCs out (and presumably some balance batches) but strength was king at release. Strike is still the best damage type and there were a lot more good weapons with A str scaling available than dex. Once you get to the point where katana no longer interrupts the enemy’s attack the fun ends.

They made some changes in that Dex caps out much higher now (60 I think) and the hard cap is now even higher then that. It seems like every build is viable now. Str, Quality, Dex, Fth have all been fine for PvE. I’m sure INT would be too, I just haven’t done one yet.

That’s fine and all but dex weapons in general still have low poise break values. This is (or was, again, not sure what state the game is now) a pretty big problem in DS3 in general, I distinctly remember bitching to my Souls nut friend that the game was ass to play without either a twohanded weapon or something that has fast swings for hit and run tactics (standard long sword was my favorite, good moveset too). But then there’s also Bestoc which seems to stagger everything, so who knows.

Just thinking back on this makes me realize what a misstep DS3 was, on multiple fronts.