Dark Souls 3

I couldn’t finish the boss of Ariandel solo … I think I have to go and use coop with some random guy, the community players are pretty skilled, so it should be managable. The only other time I used coop help was with Ornstein and Smough of course … this boss fight with 3 phases is just too long

There are also NPC summons available for her as well. She was tough, but I actually loved that fight.

My first time playing DS1, the first DS game I played, was full of 20 attempt beat downs by bosses. I wasn’t very good.

This is what annoyed me most about it. I actually loved the fight, but the run back was like chewing glass.

With no enemies. I’m sometimes on board with the idea of making the player fight through some enemies before the boss (although not one that hard) but it was a long, annoying run with no enemies - unless you count the ladder down the hole that you could miss and fall to your death so you can run yet again.

Things are going much more smoothly for me now that I’ve ditched my armor and shield and switched to a more Bloodborne style of play. Made it through the Curse-Rotted Greatwood on my second try, and I’m on to the Road of Sacrifices.

Yep. Which would happen because you’d get bored and rush it.

It’s amazing how much easier this game is if you just say fuck it and run. Forget the souls, just grab the items and book it to the next bonfire.

I was slow to play that way but there are sure times it is called for. I think finally realizing that souls are not the end all of a Dark Souls game is liberating. I wish I could get past my need to explore every nook and cranny but I just have to do that.

I do run past bad guys to get back to fog doors now. Just doing that was a big thing for me.

Wow… the Hollowslayer Greatsword is practically easy mode. I don’t know why I didn’t go with that on my first playthrough.

This is odd. Despite being a frequent summoner, on my first time through the Abyss Watchers was one of the few bosses I was able to tackle easily on my own. But on my second playthrough, they’re the first boss that I’ve needed more than two tries to pass.

I might need to take a break and try them again tomorrow.

Different weapons and builds do better or worse on them too.

Holy shit. I only just discovered the Farron Keep Perimeter bonfire. Granted, it doesn’t save a ton of time on the run up to the boss, but I’m surprised that there was a whole little area I hadn’t seen before.

Boy the Pontiff Knights are a pain in the ass. I think I’m just going to forget about fighting them and sprint through Irithiyll this time.

I’m not looking forward to facing the Pontiff himself, though. I was hoping to do this playthrough without summoning, but I recall him and Aldrich being rough.

Yep. Sulyvahn is a dick.

Try to parry him if you can (use a Buckler or parrying shield), makes the fight much faster and easier.

The Greatsword might be a little slow against him. The key to the Pontiff is learning his moves and of course, being patient. And when there are two of him, the clone shows you what the Pontiff is going to do. Block the clone, fight the Pontiff. Try to get him to do the same moves thru spacing.

Pontiff is just a bastard with his timing. It’s all over the place, which makes reacting to it extremely hard and brutal since he also hits like a semi full of concrete and rocket fuel who sometimes chases you for 10 seconds straight.

Big weapons are actually fairly good if you don’t get greedy. You can hit hard in the few openings he gives you and the reach helps a ton since his is enormous. Don’t expect to get more than a hit or two, if that. Odds are you’ll need that stamina to avoid death and if he counters you mid hit, it’s probably curtains. Plus they make killing the shade fairly easy and something that happens while you’re also hitting the boss.

Just made it to Irithyll last night. The introduction to Sulyvahn’s Beast was not fun.

I had a hell of a time with that beast the first time until I figured out a way to cheese it. I am not proud of doing it but hey, anything to get past the damn thing.