Dark Souls 3

What’s better than 1 Sulyvahn’s Beast…?

I looked in there and decided I would come back later. And when I did they were not that much of a challenge.

I believe I did the same my first time through.

Wow. So somehow I made it through Sulyvahn–which lends further credence to my theory that I’m much better at Dark Souls once I’ve had a couple of drinks in me. But now the Silver Knights on the run up to Aldrich are kicking my ass. I know I just need to parry them, but I can’t get the timing down on that for the life of me.

I have never been able to parry consistently enough to make it part of my strategy. I back stab everything. Part of parrying is using a shield designed for it, and I don’t do that, I prefer stability in a shield.

That’s probably my issue–I like having 100% physical reduction so I’ve been using the Dragon Crest shield.

Aldrich might be my least favorite boss battle in the game. His lore is pretty neat, but I absolutely hate the run up to him as I don’t think I’ve made it through without needing one or more estus, there’s no safe space to heal up before crossing the fog gate, his movements constantly break my camera lock (the worst!), and the combination of area of effect attacks and homing projectiles lead to me pretty much rolling around blindly and hoping to get a swipe or two in before I’m wiped out.

It’s more frustrating than fun, and I’m tempted to give up on my second playthrough here.

Aldrich can be pretty frustrating. I think the arrow attack is the worst so you have to stay around him but be ready to run off if that attack starts up. I found being aggressive with him works the best. But he has killed me with that damn scythe (or whatever it is) when I wasn’t paying attention to my health.

So I’ve had a pretty good weekend with DS3. I was able to defeat the Pontiff on the first try with the noble sacrifice of 2 phantoms and I only needed maybe 5-6 tries to clear our those other Sulyvahn Beasts. On to Anor Londo!

The unlimited inventory is funny to me. I wonder what the game would be like if all the crap you carried counted against your equipment load.

So I died a lot helping Anri defeat Aldrich, but all that practice allowed me to beat him quickly. ON TO CINCINNATI

A pain in the ass like every other game that has limited inventory space while constantly throwing items at you.

I do think you should be able to sell stuff to every merchant you run into instead of one per game.

…or not have to die 1,000,000,000 times and run a long ways each time to where you are supposed to die.

Pain in the ass never stopped this series.

Of all the games I think DS3 had some of the shorter boss runs. Most bosses had shortcuts that made getting their much easier, plus you could ran past everyone. Now DS1 had some long runs.

I’ve hit a wall with the Twin Princes. I think I have the moves down but that teleport tends to wear me down until I’m out of estus. The two summons don’t seem to add much, either.

I practiced dodging Lorian after he teleports, without trying to hit him. Once I became consistent with the dodge, I started hitting him too. In the second phase, he does an air teleport which requires a slightly different timing for the dodge so practice that some more, get it right, then add hits to the mix. You also need to stay behind a pillar and hit Lothric as often as possible (killing Lorian opens up a few free hits on Lothric).

I found that on the whole in DS3 using summons tended to make Boss fights too easy. Although I will confess to using one with the Princes.

Adding summons can make the fight more difficult because you add health to the boss. Also in the second half you really need to just try and hit the prince riding on the back of the other. His death is the important one.

I love the mood in these games. I’ve been switching between DS3 and DS2 reboot over the past few months trying to decide which I like more. As much as I love the artwork in DS3, I almost think the increased detail works against it. I suppose the starkness of the other two evoke more strongly for me the sense that the world has slipped. I’ll finish DS3, but probably stop there, while continuing with NG+ in DS2. Also, I prefer the solidity of greatswords, and DS3 seems to emphasize speed more.

I decided to give up on Sirris and Orbeck (sp?) and summoned a friendly player for some jolly cooperation. The first few attempts, the phantom ‘returned home’ before coming in through the fog door, but eventually I had a colleague who helped me whoop up, so now it’s on to either Archdragon Peak or maybe just time to finish the game.

DS3 has a glitch were as a summon you sometimes can’t follow the host thru the fog door. I had that happen to me several times in DS3 and never in the other 2 games. I even remember once in DS3 where me and another summon both were stuck at the fog door of the tree boss. I felt sorry for the guy as he must have been having trouble with the boss or he wouldn’t have summoned two people.

But yea, that’s a thing in DS3.

Sirris was pretty much useless in the Princes fight.

Welp, I got the powerup and won the game. I think if you get the right summon (NOT the NPC summon, but a jolly cooperator) it really can make even the last few fights pretty… not easy… but moderately so.

It’s fun to faceroll the High Wall in NG+.