Dark Souls - Demon's Souls Spiritual Successor

wohoo, Dark Souls remastered on steam 75% off … got it, hm hope to finish my PS3 run first … Pinwheel, Nito, Bed Of Chaos, Gwyn … done maybe 10-15 hours (with my tempo)

it seems like I killed 10 Taurus Demons, 5 Capra Demons, some giant worms… wow, here they hang around when they are not in Undead burg!

Ceasless Discharge took me a couple of tries, I did not know I shouldn’t touch the robes!
Fire Stray Demon was tough, but I did it. And I killed that Centipede on my first try!

I dabbled into the Tomb of Giants, but it was too hard so I went Demon Ruins / Lost Izalith first

The Bed of Chaos is really stupid. A puzzle boss and you die so quickly and you need two minutes to run back, endless… I figured half of it out, but looked up the middle thing.

I remember the dragon in Demon souls (was it in Latria?) a puzzle monster, but I liked it, but here they failed to entertain. I felt nothing when I finished it …

and I had to kill Solaire, bleh, and Siegmeyer wasn’t around, so I guess I botched his quest line, too…
Nito, the last lordsoul. I killed him ages ago, will see how it goes. Should I go to the painted world … before ? Takes a couple hours to go through if you want to collect everything

Painted World is one of the best parts of the game and has a very Demons Souls feel. There’s speculation that it was started in demons and carried over to dark.

Did you do the expansion stuff? It’s also really good.

I know the painted world from a different play … it is great. They did a fan service in DS3 with Ariandel.
I don’t have the DLS on the PS3, but I started a game as a sorcerer on PC remastered…

Is the remastered version worth it on the PC if I have the Prepare to Die edition? I don’t care about multiplayer at all really.

looks identical too me, but I need sometimes help, so I use the MP

wished somebody would help me on the PS3 with Gwyn … I have so many titanite chunks now ;)

My PC, which plays DS2 SOTFS and DS3 fine was not able to play DS1 Remastered for some reason. The Stray Demon fight would freeze up every time. But to play online you need DS1 Remastered.

The DLC for DS1 is great if only for the Artorias fight.

man, this effing Gwyn … I can parry the black nights, but I can’t parry him, he is too fast. And with blocking, he is draining my stamina so fast. And he hits 3-4 times in a row, usually I get hit with the last one because no stamina. Brutal.

I have 41 titanite chunks collected on my way, lots of black knight weapons … (I already have a Black Knight halberd +5 ) …

Solaire didn’t make it , to help me, went mad …

IIRC parrying him is kind of different than most enemies. You parry right as he starts the attack or something. Once you get it down he’s easier to parry than most things.

Or you can just beat him in the face without parries.

thanks, there is also the iron flesh tank method, that I might try

I stopped fighting those black knights, just running passed them… and new strategy: circle around that little rock and poke Gwyn. Tanking was not successful!

allright, I cheesed him to death behind a stone pillar, it was embarrassing. I just could not beat him. So I tried the little rock formation, too. But He jumped over it, then I used this man-high pillar, and I could even hit him through it with my halberd mostly. And he tried his grab, but could not get trough.

I think this fight was just too hard.

Weird how different playing styles seem to get hung up on different bosses, but for me Gwyn was one of the easier bosses. I had much, much more difficulty with the 4 kings and Ornstein & Smough (which I think I always used an NPC summons for) - and especially the DLC bosses. I never parried Gwyn either - think the key is just to be defensive and not get greedy on the number of swings you take when you get an opening.

Others, like the Iron Golem and the Butterfly or Undead Dragon, it’s hard to imagine killing you other than if you’re not paying attention, but any old Titanite Demon gave me trouble.

I don’t remember having too much trouble with Gwyn (final boss fight in Dark Souls’ main story). But I’m not a fair comparison since I was playing the Prepare to Die edition and had finished the DLC by that point. That probably made me a lot higher level than going into the Gwyn fight without tackling the DLC.

Now I’ll have to search through the thread to see if I wrote anything about the fight.

EDIT: Found it.

Looks like that was my only mention of the Gwyn fight.

I can usually only parry him on his first attack, never after that.

When I beat him (without magic) it usually involves a lot of hiding behind things while I heal and a great deal of patience.

Yeah, if memory serves I enchanted up one of those shining silver spears or whatnot and then attacked from behind a pillar as well.

I did a @rock8man and looked for my posts where I beat Gwyn. Half an hour later of reading the fun struggles I had beating the various bosses, and I got to this: (at the start I’m talking about finding Solaire’s summon sign nearby)

So yeah, I did it with Solaire, and charcoal resin on my weapon. Prior posts were all about how difficult he was to parry, dodge or tank.

Yeah, I also went down that rabbit hole this afternoon. Our journey through this game makes for an interesting read. At first I was all “wow, we talk in code almost, what the heck am I even talking about with all these names and finding titaniam whatsidoodle and upgrading my suchandsuch sword?” But then I kept reading and there’s enough detail in subsequent posts that it all started coming back to me.

I wonder why I never commented on Gwyn. It really must have been too easy to comment by that point. Apparently I was level 100 by the time I got to him, according to an earlier post, with 100 hours played.

Ha, glad it wasn’t just me. I’m thinking “Holy shit, I really went deep into this game! I’m so impressed at my former self!”