Dark Souls - Demon's Souls Spiritual Successor

What are you having trouble with? I went an unconventional route myself through the game, beat my head against it for a long time when I should have been exploring more, backtracking more, experimenting more with equipment. The game is vast, I eventually found I could usually go do something else when I hit a wall.

There isn’t a specific point I’m beating my head against, but more the aggregate of little things like caught on the geometry, flubbing hits when my sword clips the wall in narrow corridors, those damn poisoned rats beneath the drake, etc… And I just feel that I struggle against the game and controls far more than I do any other in the series. The moment to moment gameplay just isn’t fun to me in the way that the others (excepting Demon’s Souls, which I haven’t played) are. I really want to finish this to have finished it, but the more I play, the more I want to just fire up DS2 or Bloodborne instead.

It’s the same game so just quit when you’re sick of it. I skipped Blighttown and the Depths because I didn’t want to deal with them.

The Depths is my bane. I’ve put the game down twice because of constantly getting lost on my run from the bonfire to the Gaping Dragon.

Knowing the depths shortcut makes it a much easier run through but first time without knowing anything you get lost easily, especially if you fall into the basilisk den like I did.

The Shortcut: Somewhat hidden drop point behind the first butcher in the first large room leading to the giant rat chamber. Run pass/kill the rat and slide down the ramp/waterfall on the far left side and you’ll automatically clear the gap to slug room/boss-antechamber/blight-town antechamber. If you run up the stairs instead of down to the boss from the slug room you can open the shortcut to the bonfire effectively bypassing 90% of the depths

Huh. That one is new to me–thanks!

Yea, look for the shortcut. I have played this enough to where I should be able to tell you exactly where it is but I can’t. I think it is in the area around the Giant Rat. Also, the poisonous rats are the best place in the game to farm humanity. Learn to like them. Another thing, areas like this point up the need for having more than one kind of weapon. Some are better then others in tight spaces.

Finally, depending on your starting gift you can totally avoid Blightown dropping down another way. It can still be difficult but nearly as frustrating. You need a certain key to open a certain gate down in the area before New Anor Londo.

those damn poisoned rats beneath the drake

I hate them, too … but they are part of the world. How many times I was poisoned by those little buggers, I don’t know … but I would miss them.
And whenever I go into the tomb area, I mumble to myself, rage, rage against the dying of the light (and equip my lantern)

It’s a good thing(?) that all of my copies of this game are digital, because I’d probably be snapping the disk into pieces at this point. I’ve loved the other games in this series, but I can’t stand this one. I think I’m done.

Where are you stuck at? What boss is kicking your ass? :)

It’s not even a boss–I’m in Blighttown at the first bonfire and it’s more just the level geometry and moving through the spaces. At every step of the way, it feels like I’m getting caught on corners that I shouldn’t, or being held up or hit by an enemy that didn’t seem to touch me at all.

I’ve made it through all of the succeeding entries in the series without problems anywhere near this, and it’s no longer fun. Or even satisfyingly frustrating. It’s just unpleasant now.

Blightown is by far the worst area in any Dark Souls game. I don’t remember if you are playing the remastered version or not but I imagine it is even darker in that version.

Do yourself a favor before you quit. Check out somebodies play thru on youtube of the area. Try ENB or Kay Plays (she does blind play thrus) and see how they get out of the area. Also, don’t think you need every shiny in the area.

But yea, this area is bad. Not just because it’s tough but you can get lost and at least in the original version the quality is bad, bad screen rates etc.

Also, poison sucks.

I liked Blighttown, it wasn’t that bad … and I survived and I was happy when I rang that second bell … it opened Sen’s Fortress and that was tough… those effing blades of doom … and I never found the bonfire in Sen’s fortress or very, very late … took me hours, then I got to Anor Londo and O&S … farming for humanity, just to be able to summon help… good times

I think you could say that Sen’s Fortress is where the game really starts. Although the boss before that second bell can be interesting the first time you meet her.

bloody Capra Demon, I hate you … it took me 2 hours including the 2 min. walk each time to get to him… replaying on PS3. Interestingly, the servers are still online and there is no PS+ membership for ps3. Online was/is free on the PS3 …

Unfortunately, nobody around for helping (I took got help for the gargoyles… and helped some others on it).

As a thank you, I usually hang around a bit and set my summoning sign, in case someone needs help. Could assist on the Capra demon, that guy seemed happy after we finished him in 30 sec

It’s more fun to solo all the bosses :-) Well… I don’t have any other experience. But this boss will remain one of my special gaming moments… It took me a whole morning. I said to myself I’ll stop playing this stupid game and stupid games likes this if I’d ever beat that idiot of a Demon. Well… turned out to be my 2nd favorite game to date.
A whole morning. A it was snowing outside.

One of the beauties of Dark Souls is that one person’s nightmare roadblock is someone else’s cakewalk. In my case, the Capra demon was no problem at all. But I’m sure the hardest ones for me (O&S) took someone else 5 minutes.

All players are supposed to on DS1 Remastered now instead of the original version. For some reason the remastered version wouldn’t play on my “new” PC, the same one that plays DS3 without any problems.

With the Capra Demon you need to use the stairs. Run up them, kill the dogs, then jump attack the Demon and start over. He can also be killed by throwing a whole bunch of dung bombs over his door. :)

I know, the hard part is getting to the stairs … then you have to kill the dogs. I killed him mainly with firebombs and drop attacks. I killed the male merchant to get his Katana, now I cannot buy anymore firebombs. Guess I have to get some pyromancy… The gaping dragon is optional, I guess, but I still take the scenic route to Blighttown via the Depths … I decided to take the “easy” tour and use summons, if possible, especially for Queelag (hate spiders) … And I will try O&S for a while, but probably going to use help (hopefully someone is online)

Yeah, I got past Capra demon pretty easily on the PC run. Then a few weeks later, I had a hell of a time with Capra demon on my 360 run. There’s a certain amount of randomness to the behavior of the dogs and the demon that can make all the difference when you’re in there.