Dark Souls - Demon's Souls Spiritual Successor

I killed the undead merchant because I wanted his sword and didn’t feel up to getting it the “right” way so early. I would have been satisfied with a Balder Sidesword, but I spent fruitless hours farming them previously, so. Of course my first trip into the parish this time one drops immediately.

Feels right in a Dark Souls thread. ;)

The sequels are not. But Bloodborne is :) Dark Souls and Bloodborne have diffferent strengths but they’re both in the running when I try to pick a favorite game.

Anyway, after you visit the Duke’s Archives make sure to check out the dlc, it’s some of the best content in the game. But it’s well hidden and almost impossible to stumble upon so you’ll want to look up how to reach that area.

Indeed…

@Mike_Cathcart will definitely look up the DLC, don’t want to miss that. And I’m psyched for Bloodborne. And Sekiro. But I must traverse the dark first.

Dark Souls 2 SOTFS did to me what 1 is doing to you. I stopped at O&S for 1 but finished all but one expansion for number 2.

3 is also excellent, but didn’t seem to match the grittiness and desperation of the first two.

All three are well worth your time. I’d jump into 1 right now based on your reports, but Grim Dawn has me by the balls. Love these RPGs.

So O&S…has anyone in this thread (during an initial play through) killed them without the help of Solaire?

And for those that did use Solaire, has he ever survived the fight? I used him on all of my attempts (burning all my humanity in the process) and each time he died either right after taking down Ornstein, or right before. He never survived Smough.

Solaire does indeed help quite a bit in the opening phases, but it’s so tough because I had to finish the fight against a powered up Smough without him. That was one of those fights where I was flinching IRL and hoping up and down in my chair. I felt pretty desperate at times, but the victory was oh so sweet. So, so sweet. Probably the most accomplished I felt so far, despite using my pal Solaire.

The NPCs in this game are truly great. I love finding them in random places. When I found Solaire sitting at the bonfire in Anor Londo it felt like greeting an old friend. It helps with the tension, especially at that moment following my encounters with those fucking archers.

It’ll always be there waiting for you ; )

Without a doubt 1000% worth your time.

I found my post from when I defeated O&S.

I would love to have two games like that still to play in front of me. I have gone back to play them for the DLC, as I had to buy SOFTS and the DS3 DLC separately to play them. There is nothing like a new area in these games.

This game is weird that way. As I stated up thread during a second play thru I had the very first Black Knight drop his sword, and life was very easy for awhile.

I tried for a long time, I don’t think I ever got a Black Knight to drop a sword. I finished the game without one, no biggie. :P

I came into Dark Souls from games like Dragon Age and Skyrim where the fighting was so much different. I had a friend (friend of my daughters actually) who was playing the same time I was and I would vent to him over the problems I was having. It probably took me 30 times to beat O&S (the law firm) and yes, I finally did it with Solaire. I didn’t want help from a real person, thought it would make things to easy I guess.

Something finally clicked and I am now pretty decent at the game. I usually even give invaders a good run for their money and for the most part inaders invade because they know they can kick your ass. :)

Anyway, I can now say all these years later that I have beaten every Boss in the three DS games and DLC solo except for about 3-4. One of those is in the DS1 DLC.

By the way, there is a place where you can farm for humanity and pick up quite a few in a short time. Just think rats.

I read that earlier this morning! I’ve been going back through the thread, reading the old posts by you and @krayzkrok as I get up to where you guys were. ; )

Oooh nice. Now that you mention it, I do remember them dropping it pretty regularly.

Pretty sure I did because I avoided using summons and coop for the most part. It took a lot of fight though. I can’t remember how many hours, but more than a couple.

edit: Checked the other thread. I said it took 12-15 hours to beat those 2 bastards!

A fun thing to do in the game (any DS game) is to put down your summon sign to help other people. I didn’t figure this out until I had played quite a bit because I figured who in their right mind would want my help, but lots of people summon others just for the co-op play. Well, and lots of people are like me when I started, really bad at the game. :)

Now there is only one main game Boss I ever summon for, that is in DS2, and it is because I hate the run to the boss so much. A certain large arachnid.

I thought DS PtDE mp was actually killed when the remaster came out, but I still see quite a few messages, bloodstains and ghosts around.

I did try that briefly at the end of the original Dark Souls, but no one took me up on it.

I did do it successfully in DS2 once, and unsuccessfully once. Those were the only two times I did it. It was a little awkward and confusing.

There are a couple bosses in DS2 DLCs where you can literally be summoned time after time almost, at least on weekends. DS3 also has bosses like that. DS1, other than O&S may not have many anymore. I have spent a lot of time replaying DS3 and it is still a very lively place during some hours on the weekend. Most of the action though for both DS2 and DS3 is in the DLCs.

You just gave me an idea. That giant tree where I got stuck when playing DS3? I should try to get summoned there, and see how people finish him off at the end.