Dark Souls - Demon's Souls Spiritual Successor

That is a place where people summon. I have fought that fight many times as a summon. I think certain styles of play make certain bosses very difficult, especially early in the game. People playing as mages are often looking for someone to tank for them while they ping away at the boss. That tree is one example. The Crystal Sage is another. Personally I don’t see how anyone can play DS3 solo as a mage as you just can’t do enough damage early on.

Plus you need to kill that tree for a certain item it gives you.

Game feels very open at the moment. There are lots of loose ends I need to tie up. There’s DLC out there somewhere. And I of course need to fill that lord vessel. Sitting at the firelink shrine it felt like the start of the game all over again. Every direction open for adventure.

I settled on the New Londo Ruins. I had already explored there a bit and I wouldn’t be going in totally blind. The demon spear just wrecks ghosts. Range, power, stun. So good. But even with this spear the house of ghosts was nuts. Just nuts. They were coming from everywhere! I found the dude on the roof (who incidentally was wearing the same armor I was). Found the thing I was supposed to find. And…whoa boy, so much more to explore now!

What a change to the area. What a cool story beat about the fate of New Londo. What a terrifying new enemy: The Skeletor Knights (darkwraiths??). I decided to put away my spear, draw my claymore, and clash steel with this monster. Dead. Dead. Dead. Black Knights these are not.

I can’t believe there isn’t a bonfire at New Londo. That run back (including the elevator trip) sucks.

Took a while before I realized I had to put on a special piece of gear to access the boss. Dying is discovery. And with a helpful hint at the bottom of the steps, I figured it out. Blackness. No floor. No ceiling. Here come the Four Kings. My normal strat of being nimble, blocking when necessary, and circling around wasn’t very effective. I felt very disoriented, so I changed it up a bit.

I put on my heaviest armor. Used the 2-handed grip. And charged in like a madman just wailing away. I have become Havel. And the soul of the Four Kings now belong to me.

That’s dedication! I can’t imagine doing that fight solo.

I’m pretty sure Ingward tells you about it but it’s kind of easy to miss the first time through. Grats, though. The Four Kings was where I stalled back when the game came out. I just didn’t have the damage to take them down before I got overwhelmed and eventually got distracted and put the game down. It was years before I went back and started all over again.

Fun trivia that’s not really trivia because it’s the thing everyone tells you about Four Kings: sometimes there aren’t four of them! When you hit them you’re just taking away from a shared health bar, and it’s also possible to keep swinging at a king for a few seconds after it dies to do damage. If you wind up a powerful hit at the end it’s possible to win the fight after only 3 kings, or even 2 if you’re really strong. Not sure if 1 king is possible. Likewise, you can see more than 4 if it takes you too long.

Also stop making me want to play Dark Souls again, this is a busy week already.

I regret not picking up the remastered version of DS last sale for $10. Maybe next time.

I may be ready to replay the series. I never got around to playing the season pass content for DS3.

His words must’ve been in my subconscious, but it was quite the journey from that conversation to finally walking the abyss.

Like Ragnaros before sons haha (bad wow reference). Sounds like a worthy challenge on replay.

The remaster looks real pretty ; )

Dooooo it. Will need a partner in crime when I get to DS2 and 3. They seemed to have changed up the summoning for DS1 as well, enabling password protected summons. Something I think they implemented for Bloodborne and DS3? So I’m down for a summon from anyone who wades back into DS1!

I did the same, loved the Katana + 10 until I made the Furysword … later I missed the oppurtunity to buy firebombs

Yeah I got the platinum trophy when the PS4 version came out. I have 2 platinum trophies on psn, Dark Souls and Dark Souls Remastered :)

Then played the switch version for a bit in October. But I haven’t played the pc version…

Good thing I’m a pyromancer!

Suddenly I am the hipster. I have Demons’ Souls, Dark Souls (Asian import) and Dark Souls (Atlus US rls.)

Nice. I’ve thought about doing another Demons run and getting the remaining trophies. And I have all but one for Bloodborne, but it’s the chalice dungeon one. Blerg. I’ve done most of them, so I guess I’ll get it eventually.

Platinum trophies? Don’t they require some kind of ridiculous crafting achievements? Or was that only Demon’s Souls, which involved collecting stuff from fully white and dark worlds?

For Dark Souls you have to max out each enchantment and craft all of the boss weapons. Well, actually you just have to have all of the boss weapons on you at the same time, so if you had a friend who did it they could just give you the weapons. But if you want to do it yourself you’d need to get to NG++, beat Sif and get to the giant blacksmith, since you’ll need to create 3 weapons that all come from the soul of Sif.

You also need to collect all of the spells, which is kind of annoying because some of them require covenant ranks. Though that did get me to spend some time working for the Gwyndolin faction, which turned out to be a lot of fun.

For Demons I think you have to do light/dark tendencies and then just farm stones forever.

I had Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls both for PS3. Selling Demon’s Souls because I figured I would never get around to playing it again is like the only getting-rid-of-a-game thing I regret. Been waiting for it to go on sale on PSN for a price I can justify (selling it for $20 is pretty yech, but par for the console pricing course).

I assume this game is worth visiting at some point, yes? I know a little bit about it, but always thought maybe it was a super duper hardmode version of a soul’s game, it being the first and all that.

I like it and feel that the lore (if not the setting as a whole) is a little more coherent. I don’t remember it being particularly harder, although there’s no estus flask, healing is via consumable items which could theoretically (though maybe not practically) run out.

Since you’ve already experienced Dark Souls, you probably won’t find it all that hard like I did back in the day. One of the things I love about it is every time you boot up the game, you get a dragon’s eye view of the kingdom. I just love the start of the opening intro, and I let it play every time until the name “Demon’s Souls” comes up, then I load up the game. It’s a little thing, but it always gets me hyped to play. The game puts you in a Hub pretty quickly, where you can go to one of 5 worlds which are pretty different from one another.

You don’t have Estus flasks, so that’s different, instead you get health by eating herbs that fall from enemies. And there’s a dark/light thing that I personally ignored. But other than those things, it’s pretty close to Dark Souls in terms of how it plays.

They’re farm-able.

(It’s conceivable that you could actually screw yourself with Pure Black World Tendency, as fewer healing items drop on darker WT’s, but I think youd have to be really trying for that to happen).

Well this is encouraging. Definitely something to look forward to. It’ll be my final lap after I finish DS1-3, BB, and Sekiro. My gaming calendar is set. Gonna be fun contributing to all these oldish threads.