Dark Souls - Demon's Souls Spiritual Successor

I would probably read a bit about World Tendency before playing Demon’s Souls, if you have any interest in 100%-ing, since there are limited World Tendency events (especially since the servers are offline now), but there’s nothing you can’t do in NG+.

(The short version is: always commit suicide in the Nexus after getting your body back).

This is one of the rare Dark Souls fights where I think you have to hit hard and as fast as you can. I think I have used Havel’s gear for this fight. The longer you take the more Kings join the fray. Congrats, in my opinion that is the toughest Boss fight.

By the way there is a shortcut, a jump down that you can make after crossing the first bridge.

Demon’s Souls has huge levels with shortcuts (of course) and you get only one bonfire after you defeat the boss of the level… so that’s pretty hard core. I love it nevertheless

Thank you! And that’s very good news. (I did discover that shortcut)

Managed to find my way back to the Asylum, which was a nice return to the past, and now I’m inside of a painting. Surprises at every turn.

After I finish up with the painted place, and hit up that area above Anor Londo, I think I’m going to conquer my fears and head back down into the Tomb of Giants. Which could end in victory, or another Friday night gripped by terror.

yeah, don’t forget to pay a visit to the wheel skeletons when you are there…

Say it ain’t so.

Considering picking up Dark Souls 3 Deluxe from Gamebillet for $19 even though I have never beaten either 1 or 2.

Oh, me.

A couple of the big four Boss fights are gimmicky. The Four Kings does require an object but once you get to the fight it is pretty straight forward, but it does require some preparation. Another of the Boss fights is kinda like that, in that the fight is right in front of you but your choice of weapon may be important.

With the soul vessel the Tomb of Giants becomes an easier place to visit.

That is a real good price since it must also contain the DLC. DS3 is a big game with the DLC. It is “faster” than Ds1 or DS2, owing I guess to Bloodborne. The community there is also very active so summoning probably wouldn’t be a problem. Also in DS3 they did a good job supplying NPCs for boss fights.

DS3 also has a lot of call backs to the previous DS games.

Because of warping?

Fire tossing bulbous toxic hollows. White rats that sound like dogs. Wicked crow demons. A mass of slow moving blobs wielding spears. No problem. I cut through them all like butter. I’d even tangled with an undead drake before, so I knew the score there. Painted world, I see your tricks and I’m ready.

But what’s that I see lurking in the dark? It …… it can’t be. In such a confined space no less. Wheel spikes clanged off my (upgraded!) silver shield, and somehow I survived. With careful pulls and quick steps, I did what needed to be done down there in that basement.

Not sure if I should have killed Pricilla. Didn’t seem like I had to. And I’m still unclear what was going on inside of that painting. But now I have her soul. I enjoyed that fight. The entire level (aside from those wheel bastards) was awesome. It was a nice mix of previous elements from the burg and elsewhere, and the setting was super cool.

After a quick trip back to Darkroot to tie up a loose golden thread, I was ready for the library. Cool level. Lots of surprises. That snakeskin phonograph and crazy snake medusas were something else. I was having a lot of fun until I met Seath for the first time. I’m still unclear what’s supposed to happen in that fight (do I use magic? projectiles?). Can’t find a way to the boss, and even in Havel’s armor I didn’t last long against that crystal floor attack. And then suddenly, I’m warped to another part of the level at a bonfire I hadn’t discovered?

All in all I fought him four times without making any progress. Working as intended, lol? I opted to explore the rest of the area instead. I found a lot of goodies and freed the most inept wizard in Lordran. Then I found myself outside. So, I’m pretty confused here. Did I leave a boss behind? Is this a different level?

I guess I’ll find out tonight.

Since it was mentioned in the Sekiro thread…should I be spoiler tagging names and places and bosses and mechanics and whatnot in my recaps of Dark Souls? Game is pretty old, and a lot of stuff has already been covered in this thread. But I don’t want to ruin the experience for anyone either, so I’ll defer to the souls elders on this one.

I personally think Dark Souls (1) is old enough to not warrant spoiler tags/warnings.

Nah you’re fine. I can’t think of anything that would really ruin the experience at this point aside from openly telling people how to access secret areas or deal with some of the good types of challenges.

I can think of one thing each in Dark Souls 2 and 3 I wouldn’t want to spoil.

The stuff you’re saying, it’s suitably obscure to someone else, even if they were playing through the game right now, which is unlikely anyway. You really have to have played through the part you’re talking about to understand what you’re saying.

Ok cool, then I will plow ahead as I’ve been doing with the recaps.

Please excuse the incoming frequency of posts, I have a lot of gaming time carved out from this afternoon to sunday night. I don’t expect to finish the game by then, but I should get close.

I think you’re close to the point now where you can enter the DLC area too. Oh man, I envy you. That part is so good.

Yeah so I sketched out a little plan of action that goes a little something like this–

-Finish up the area outside of the library;
-Head back to the Tomb;
-Hit the Demon Ruins;
-Cruise around that big Tree;
-Hit up the DLC
-???
-Beat game.

I think people who have not played the game (as we are seeing now) appreciate not having info thrown at them, rather they prefer finding out things for themselves. I would hate to ruin someones experience by spoiling a surprise.

This.

That’s a good point and either way is fine for me, but we should probably settle on one. But if this thread already has unblurred spoilers, it might be more practical to just go with it instead of retroactively preventing such spoilers - which might in fact be impossible to do.

Anyway, either way works for me, but then again, I’ve played the game already. Well, most of it.

I am not sure why they chose to do it this way but you really can’t win that first encounter with Seath. They just want you in that locked room with the bonfire.