Dark Souls - Demon's Souls Spiritual Successor

Have you made the mistake of using the lock on functionality? Learning how to play without it should help a lot. Camera lock is one of the most difficult Dark Souls enemies.

I mostly lock on, I’d say for 98% of fights. I’ve taken enough stabs at Kalameet to see locking on isn’t going to work. Haven’t figured out the right balance of locking on/not locking on.

Oh cool I can help there. Stay with me here but it’s 0% locking on to 100% (aka one hundo aka keep it 100) not locking on. Unless you’re doing magic or firing a crossbow. Then I guess lock on sometimes.

I mostly played the Kalameet battle without lock-on. It wasn’t a choice. Since I wanted the tail, there’s no way to get to the tail with lock-on. When I did FINALLY get the tail, I think I did a mixture of locking on and not locking on.

I bought it for the improved graphics but it kept freezing up early in the game on my then new PC, the same PC that has had no problems with any other game.

yes

Nito you will beat. You need a faith weapon to keep the skeletons off your back, and timing his AOE attack makes him easier to beat.

Kalameet is one of the toughest fights in all Dark Souls. That’s counting all the games.

As for Manus, you need to use the necklace, although I could never manage to beat him that way either. I confess to having cheesed Manus in the cheesiest way possible. You can actually see him from outside the boss door area, look down into the abyss and you can see his eyes. Then you can kill him with arrows, many arrows. There is a summon within the Manus boss room but I never found it much help.

The necklace was too hard for me too. I just buckled down and learned the dodge timing to dodge through the incoming 360 fireball thing. Plus that’s badass.

You literally stared into the abyss, and shot it with arrows. That’s something even a nihilist German philosopher could appreciate!

Well now this just motivates me more!

Spent most of last night just farming humanity to save Solaire. Took longer than I thought it would, so I made zero progress. Have a lot of time carved out today though, so I hope to at least finish off the lord vessel bosses, and then hunker down to do battle with Mr. Abyss and the Black Dragon.

(incidentally, in my switch game I already have a +5 Uchigatana. kinda regret getting the drake sword in my first playthough. while it’s a great weapon that makes a lot of early encounters trivial, it really stunts the traditional upgrade path, which is unfortunate because it’s very cool to start upgrading a weapon right out of the gate.

I also skipped the master key, which I took in my first game, which I realize now is probably the opposite way you’re supposed to do it. It’s kinda crazy how much of the game I seem to have committed to memory. I know every nook and cranny of those early levels).

So true. You can go back to these games months later and still remember enemy placement like you played the game yesterday. That is perhaps one argument for owning both DS games, as enemy placement and items are changed.

yeah so Nito wasn’t that bad, eh?

Guess I was just off my game when I faced him before. Stood toe to toe and cut him down pretty quick. Onto Izalith!

After 59 joyous hours, one of the best gaming experiences of my life ended with the fall of Gwyn.

The Final Fight was a tad bit anticlimactic. Gwyn was cool, and the entire area inside the Kiln of the First Flame was awesome, but the fight was pretty easy. I guess after hurling my corpse at Manus and Kalameet so many times anything would be easy.

I was expecting a bit more to the ending, but I guess it was very Dark Souls: You’re consumed by flame, good job, now here’s the opening cutscene, do it all over again!

Which I will happily do. My switch game is progressing along nicely, and the lure of NG+ with all this endgame gear is too good to resist.

I guess you never stop playing these games.

Did you ever get Manus and Kalameet?

Funny story. I wanted to check out Gwyn just to see what that fight was all about, and to break the cycle of pain from the DLC bosses…and I ended up beating him.

Which I’m okay with.

I’ll get the ones that got away on my next play through.

Probably for the best. You were going to throw off your dodge timing playing Dark Souls 2 anyway.

Like Demons Souls, the final fight is more about storytelling than gameplay. The real challenge of the game is O&S, two of Anor Londo’s best recreated at the height of their power. I also found Gwndolin pretty tough the first time around but now that fight seems so easy.

Thematically the last fight is pretty cool. Gwyn is weak and the fire is fading, you’re there to put him out of his misery. It fits with the music as well, which is big and bombastic for every other boss in the game, but for Gwyn is sad piano tune.

There’s a hilarious mod that replaces every enemy in the game with a random boss. I watched a bit of LobosJr playing it a while back. Since Gwyn has that very long leaping attack at the start of the fight it’s hilarious to see him just land from out of nowhere every minute or two.

Anyway, I really do miss single phase boss fights that are just about one thing :)

I like this. I guess I was still battered and bruised by Sekiro’s final fight, so I was expecting the worst re: difficulty. But you’re right. The old man is surrounded by a kingdom of ash. Even his trusty sliver/black knights fell easily, the last remnants of a formidable host.

It really is quite sad that despite an eternity of kindling his soul, the world remains broken and lost. And here I am to extend the life of something already dead.

Or…

!!!

Oh boy, that’s tantalizing.

There is almost no difference mechanically to achieve, but has extremely interesting personal story and overall lore implications. when you come back around to stomp on Kalameet and co. give it a look see ;)