Dark Souls for whimps (like me): Lords of the Fallen

I beat the Champion and for the first time felt like I had beat a Dark Souls boss. I just had to re-think my build and my pre-fight planning. I went lighter and got a roll which made this fight much easier, all while using a bigger weapon and spamming Rage, a neat little extra I experimented with.

Looks like the 2nd game will not be out for awhile.

This game is turning into another Dead Island 2.

I posted this elsewhere and probably should have posted it here. So here it is…

So I finished Lords of the Fallen this afternoon. I did enjoy the game, but it has it’s ups and downs. The final boss was annoying as hell with his healing and jumping around and draining your health bar. But he finally went down after I watched a few videos for help and got some good ideas.

I do think the games re-usable rune/crafting system was nice. Made for good weapon and armor experimentation. Overall the bosses were fun and while some were pretty easy others (at least for me) took several tries or a complete change of strategy.

And while I keep seeing it compared to Dark Souls, it is no Dark souls. But a good game in it’s own right.

What class did you finish the game as?

I remember trying all 3 in this game, and Warrior was the easiest early on, Rogue was the hardest. And then Cleric had this crossover point where the healing spell made the Cleric the most powerful, so I finished the rest of the game as the Cleric.

I got pretty far as the Warrior too, before I switched full time to the Cleric, but Rogue was too hard for me.

I played as a warrior. I started with heavy armor and a light weight axe. But after a few bosses realized that I was better with light weight armor and a good sword. With the final boss I went with a heavy axe because you need to do big damage quickly.

The rune system and the different armors made it pretty easy to go light, and at least two options helped with encumbrance so it didn’t take long before you could roll in some very good light armor.

For the warrior the Rage option was almost overpowered. From what I saw the Cleric had some pretty overpowered options as well. Rogue had some good equipment in the second half of the game but I would never have had the patience to last that long.

One big negative for this game was how often it crashed on my system. My PC runs things pretty well and this game probably crashed a few times with every playing. Reading the Steam discussions and in other places apparently this is standard with the game. Someone not as patient as me would have quit playing this game because of it.

This is what I played as and I keep telling myself that I want to try the others. Then I keep getting something else that takes priority.

This is $4 now on PS4 so I picked it up, since I’ve been interested in it but I like to play things like this on the couch with a pair of headphones in the controller. I’ll dig into it after I get a little burned out on Nioh 2 or finish it, whichever comes first…

It isn’t a great game, but after you accept it for what it is it is fun. I thought a very fair game as well, but for maybe the final boss. But much like Souls games you just have to learn the moves.

I fired this up this morning to check it out, and the framerate, urk. It’s awful, like maybe 20fps if that? Not inconsistent, just low. It’s actually making me a little dizzy.

I don’t recall having any frame rate problems. But I do remember it crashing about once a session.

What platform?

PS4. I got it there because I like playing on the couch, but I may have to get it for PC…

I played it on PC.

I played it on Xbox. It’s possible it had a low frame rate, but I’m not particularly sensitive to these things unless they’re really bad. (Like Project Cars, which I found unplayable on Xbox).

It had those dips even on the Xbox One X. Probably poorly optimized? The game looked good, but I don’t remember it looking exceptional and having a lot of graphical oomph.

I see now what @Woodlance meant by “heavy” combat. That first boss I felt like I could never get a hit in and then also get away before the retaliatory strike, everything just happened too slowly (on my end). I used like 5 potions.

Second boss down. Not a lot of enemy variety in this game so far! Although I did meet some weird spider thing that was the first thing that’s managed to kill me. Does damage even through my shield. Attacks are soooo slooooow. Still, I’m enjoying myself. Aesthetically it reminds me a lot of Diablo 3.

34 posts were merged into an existing topic: Lords of the Fallen: a “dark fantasy action RPG” and reboot of the 2014 game