Dark Souls for whimps (like me): Lords of the Fallen

I’m pretty sure Orstein and Smough took at least 2x that to beat on my own. Parts of the game were frustrating, but you sure felt good when you conquered them.

I never felt that great after I beat the bosses.

Anyway, this game sounds promising. Someone bump the thread in a couple years when I have a chance to play it.

As ever, internet discussions vastly overstate the difficulty of the Souls games and do everyone involved a disservice.

Did I miss someone making an outrageous claim? I know I took several hours to beat O & S. I kept dying and dying.

What apparently was easy for you was difficult for many others. Where’s the overstating in that? Jeezz, just as much as people who couldn’t ‘get over the hump’ are justifying why DS isn’t there cup of tea, it appears that people who could have now adopted an ‘I didn’t have that much trouble with it, so everyone who did is just stupid’-attitude…

Dark Souls has a lot more going for it than difficulty.

Though it is a difficult game, the difficulty is only a small part of what makes it so great to me. I even think that too many Dark Souls fans almost exclusively latch onto the difficulty aspect and are totally missing the point why this game (and Demon’s Souls) is so brilliant.

It even worries me a bit that the developers could make Dark Souls II too difficult because they get convinced by these fans that this is the most important aspect of “the Dark Souls experience”.

For me, the aspect of Dark Souls that I like best is being able to read the monster animations to tell when I should attack, block and dodge. I like how you don’t need super fast reflexes to be successful, or remembering a lot of combos / button presses. It needs to be challenging or the satisfaction of winning wouldn’t be as great. Exploring new areas is up there too as one of its strengths, except for those dam pitch black areas…

+1000. And that’s why I think that inevitable clones that will start popping up sooner or later are going to fail miserably, including this one we are discussing. Kind of like the waves of bland FPS and RTS games we’ve seen in the past.

I got a lot happier in Dark souls once I realised how easy it was to just run past trash mobs.

No leaping off the couch with a shout? No fist pumps, dual finger pistols at the screen, or dancing a little jig? No shouts of YEEEEEEAH!!!

Can’t think of another game this generation that managed to inspire such a physical reaction from me.

Alright, fuck it, this is an official Dark Souls thread now.

I’m aware of the feeling you describe, and I’ve felt it with other games where I was hooked on the challenge. For Dark Souls bosses, I was usually too bitter about running past enemies to get to the boss again, or annoyed because I lacked the infinite patience to wait for the patterns and play conservatively. After the initial excitement of the awesome boss designs, the fights themselves only got in the way of the exploration and trash mob combat I wanted to do. My reaction was more fuck you than fuck yeah.

Then I got to the DLC. I pumped my fist there because the boss fights were so well-constructed and perfectly matched my skill and character level. I cheered because I finally found boss fights that I enjoyed.

I actually have to agree that I generally preferred the trash mobs and exploration bits most. I still remember the time I stumbled upon Istrarelle, glowing like a beacon atop a mound of ick along a secret path in the valley of defilement. I then battled my way through hordes of baddies (OK, I think it was more like three of those big guys, but they are nasty) to claim my prize! Blood splattered and beaten within an inch (literally) of my life I finally obtained the legendary magic spear!

Little moments like that are why I am so gaga over the souls games, not the giant bosses.

So the new actual gameplay trailer looks great! I won’t bother linking it from my phone, but damn the animation is terrific.

I am suddenly extremely interested again.

https://www.facebook.com/LORDSoftheFALLEN/posts/698551590175869

Here’s a link (hope it works). And I agree, it does look very promising!

Looks great, I hope they resolve their split personality (Dark Souls/Action RPG) issues though. :) This game has a great potential but they could easily screw it up as well.

Have they said anything about coop at all?

Cool, looks promising although I hope the combat leans way more heavily to the Dark Souls spectrum and less to the Kingdoms of Amalur or whatever timing attack action games are out there.

For me, the best part of Dark Souls was the sense of place. I visited Bruges a few months ago and was struck by how much walking through the church district felt like being in Anor Londo.

Looks like October 31st. That should slot in nicely after Dragon Age 3 early in the month.

I’ll be busy, so I’ll wait for the verdict from Paul_cze as well as the beat 'em up crowd. I don’t need Dark Souls, but I’d like deep and rewarding brawler combat and non-infuriating retry mechanics.

Gameplay video

Do yourself a favor: skip the first 15 minutes and just watch the last 5 minutes of gameplay without any commentary. The developers and interviewers at these conventions are way too hopped up on caffeine.

The video didn’t blow me away in terms of art direction or combat, but I’m still interested. Dare I call it a light beer version of Dark Souls? Not that there’s anything wrong with that!

One more thing: headbob in a 3rd person game? Come on!

So I just heard about this in the Shadow of Mordor thread.

It seems easy to say you’re making a Dark Souls clone, but incredibly hard to do (From barely managed it with Dark Souls 2). Do we have any reason to think this wll actually be good? The video with the objective in the top left did not make me a believer.