Dark "Superhero" comics

Incognito’s pretty darn good, though it’s a one-off.

Actually, they recently did a followup, Incognito: Bad Influences.

Google Alan Moore and you’ll quickly find out. He seems to hate almost everything.

I ran across a reminder that Simone had been writing Batgirl since the n52 reboot. It’s . . . unimpressive. The reboot (and especially the requirement that the secondary Bat-titles dance to the main book’s tune) have removed a lot of the character and history that Simone used so well in the 2000’s with books like Secret Six.

Didn’t they bring her right back, though?

Two other recommendations:

Common Grounds is a collection of one-shots set in Troy Hickman’s own little super-world (though the parallels to existing heroes is often obvious). It isn’t exactly dark, but it humorously explores some of the downsides of having super-powers, like what your life’s really like when you’re a speedster. They’re aren’t a lot of action scenes, though; it’s closer to a slice-of-life series about superpowered folks.

Wonderella: seriously, how can we already be on page 2 and nobody thought to link Wonderella yet?

It does move a little too quickly (IMO). It sort of takes a couple of super leaps here and there that make it feel a bit bewildering.

Astro City’s Dark Age books felt the same way to me, honestly. Slightly flawed story telling but I really enjoyed them. However, you sometimes leap 5-7 years at a time between issues/book 1 and book 2.

Astro City is pretty grounded. The Dark Age books are definitely dark, though I don’t think they are quite what the op is after.

I was about to start a new thread for this, but then I chuckled at re-purposing this thread’s title, so…

Marvel debuts their new, Pakistani-American super heroine today, Ms. Marvel. Initial reports claim that it’s pretty good.

I’ll probably pick it up tonight from Comixology.

I’m not sure if you’re allowed to make that joke so I’m also not sure if I’m allowed to chuckle at it.

No, it’s cool. In RL I too am a teenaged Pakistani girl, so it’s an appropriate pun.

Well either way, that first issue is pretty great. It is, however, decidedly of the optimistic breed of superhero comics; so pun aside, it isn’t really related to this thread.

It also looks like Marvel is about to reboot EVERYTHING next month, plus a new Warren Ellis story.

Hmm, it would be better if it was just Pakistani. Imagine, slapping down USA-sent drones out of the sky, just as they are about to gun down yet another wedding procession.

The Ultimates 2 storyline is along those lines – the Avengers are taken down by an international supergroup that’s sick of American superheroes telling the world what to do. No Pakistanis, but the leader of their team is the Iranian analogue to Captain America.

And with that, we’re back to dark superhero comics.