Darkest Dungeon

I like you man. Aren’t we gonna have a beer soon or something? :)

Or it’s as if nothing is perfect for everyone, and maybe some folks like to have a more custom experience?

I don’t get it anymore. Tom is saying that game should have been played while in Early Access?!

Fortunately, these developers do not expect you to tune the difficulty for them. They have worked incredibly hard over the last few years to tune the game.

Don’t touch the options. Congratulations! Now you’re playing the game the way it was intended.

The options are simply in there as a way to improve the signal-to-noise ratio on the Steam forums. Players who would otherwise incessantly whine on the forums get to play with options and leave the forums alone.

As for the difficulty levels, there are three difficulty levels. You should play the middle one for the intended experience, the hard one after you beat the middle one, and the easy one if you’re under the age of 18 months.

Glad I could help!

So, I think I’m in a good enough place w/r/t mental health to try this game again. Is the DLC worth picking up? Early reviews of Crimson Court were negative, but it sounds like maybe they fixed it?

I saw a different video with that sports caster guy posted above that he felt the Crimson court was a very long campaign…he was not the most positive about it. But long to him (he plays fast) was two hours with his built up guys.

How is the new DLC (and all the patch changes) to those who have it? I’ve been on the fence on this one, doesn’t seem like much to it?

I’ll be on this as soon as my computer stops being broken!

Anyone recommend Crimson Court, Color of Madness, or Shieldbreaker?

I would say play Crimson Court if you have completed the game, or played enough to feel comfortable with the game. It adds some changes that can really change game play, and would be rough on a new player. I find it fun though =)

I played quite a but around release, but haven’t played since. I think I made it fairly far but never finished it. I probably don’t need the DLC unless it does make the entire game better. Maybe I’ll pick it up. Thanks!

Better? Debatable. More content (stuff to find and do, areas to adventure in, classes to use in battle, trinkets to equip, enemies and bosses to face)? Most assuredly. Depends on what you want from this kind of game/experience.

I liked the base game quite a bit when I played it, so even if it is mostly just more variety that isn’t a bad thing. Does any of it seem to throw off the balance? Do you find you’d rather play with the DLC than without it?

I think it makes it better.

If anything the balance feels better to me. Sure there are spikes to some extent, but so far it’s a lot smoother overall.

Plus more stuff is fun in this kind of thing anyway.

That said the Baron is giving me a hard time for some reason this time around, but it’s nothing I wont tackle, I just need some upgraded guys to do it I think (and not have my freaking Leper miss literally every single round until we lost, he missed his attacks, with +18 to hit mind you, 8 times in a row).

I was initially worried because the reviews made it seem like the Crimson Court made the game harder, but I find managing adventurers with the curse can be entertaining and useful as when under blood lust they become badass. Also, the trinkets you can find from the Court runs are just amazingly powerful. In the end, I think (and I see ShivaX just beat me to the punch) the game actually feels better and more interesting with this hook in it than not.

OK sounds good. I guess I should make sure this runs on my laptop before I buy the DLC, but I can’t imagine it would have trouble.

@robc04 DD runs fine on my Dell Latitude 5490, FWIW.

Thanks. A quick dip into the game with an existing save seemed fine on my Dell Latitude E5540.

I think they toned the Crimson Court down a few notches after it first came out, so that may be why it’s easier now.

That would make sense, it seems a little easier than everyone was saying. Not “easy” of course, but I’m not finding it more (or less) of a challenge than other content my characters are running through.