Darkest Dungeon

Oh, that explains the issue I was having when I fired it up briefly last night–I thought that icon showed an “A” instead of an “R”.

Yeah, I’d prefer L3 and R3 never be used for anything, ever.

Text size was the reason I stopped playing this on the Vita. It’s playable, but I can’t see too well up close and at the distance i can see well, text is too tiny (yeah, I need bifocals).

It’s too small for me to read for sure. I’m nearsighted with progressive lenses and trying to play In docked mode on a 60” TV from about 10 feet away.

Wish it had UI scaling for us olds 🤔

Diego

As in all things, vision may vary, but with a weekend of docked and undocked play, I am pretty happy. My TV is 55 inch and 10 feet away. I had zero issues docked. Some things were a slight bit hard to see in handheld mode (R stick vs. A icon or some jumbled random names when not in the character panel).

Overall I like the interface. Some things are wonky and took some work to figure out. Trinket and party management had me scratching my head for awhile and mouse over on certain things like enemy stats are at first more accessible. That said after a few hours, everything works out just as well if not better. I even booted up the Steam version to compare. I even like buttons and sticks for most common elements over mouse and keyboard. I still don’t like R stick press for embark, provision, etc. though. Thumbs up for the Switch version here.

Now, as to the game itself…I am getting chewed up and had a hilariously bad run with dual paranoia afflictions last night. There is a lot to discover and I look forward to it.

Do folks generally invest in lowering stress via town options (bar, etc) or just rotate/ burn out free heroes early on? What about cleaning up negative perks?

If their stress is 75 or higher, I tend to stick them in the buildings that reduce stress. Otherwise, I let them sit unassigned in the hamlet where their stress diminishes at a slower rate between quests.

Removing negative perks is expensive, so I tend to let them be until a hero is more experienced. I instead throw coins at increasing an inexperienced hero’s weapon and armor levels.

I think that you basically always want to be cycling through new victims, er heroes, throughout the game. In parallel you’ll want to coddle and optimize the perks and things on the characters that you are trying to advance forward with.

I am definitely mediocre at the game, but I felt like the grind actually moves along faster when you realize that sending in disposable resource collection squads is viable. Only one soul is needed to bring the loot home.

A terrified and traumatised antiquarian, too shaken to ever venture back into the dark depths from where she hauled a vast amount of loot, is perfectly fine!

I played this a while ago on the PS4, and I got it again for the Switch and have been playing it more. I think the last time I played, I got too attached to some of my original guys, who survived for a really long time, so when some bad luck resulted in them dying it was pretty disheartening.

This time, my party almost wiped pretty early on, so now it’s like, “Whatevs, chums! You guys are all going in the pit, and some of you ain’t coming back!”

The most successful party I’ve run, I think, is:
Jester/Occultist/Bountyhunter/Bountyhunter

This group seemed like it worked well. One of the BH’s has the mark target skill, the other has the hook skill… And the occultist can also mark targets. Once something gets marked, the two BH’s can just crush it with their skill that gives like +90% against marked targets.

The Occultist can heal folks well (although it’s annoying when you get a 0 point heal that makes the target bleed). The Jester can easily keep everyone’s stress down. The Jester’s offensive contribution is pretty minimal, although he does buff everyone, and he does have the power to lay down one truly massive hit against a target with a Solo/Finale combo. (After a few rounds, the damage ends up being like +200% or something crazy)

Alternatively, I also swapped out the BH’s for a Highwayman/Shieldbreaker, who can run move combos, where the Highwayman can just constantly dump point blank shots on guys, with the SB doing asp’s kiss. It worked pretty well, although perhaps less dominating as the BH’s felt.

How is the ios version? I have the steam version but never play it, and an ipad pro that I might play it on more regularly.

So the top mod for this, or at least the first one shown to me, appears to be an Arbalest mod that just changes her skin white.

One dark skinned character, and they had to do special work to make her white. They just couldn’t bear it. Couldn’t bear having one dark skinned person in their party. I hate gamers.

That’s pretty shitty. I mean I hate the Arbalest from an aesthetic angle, but it isn’t the skin color.

I’d honestly pay cash money to switch to the musketeer who looks a hell of a lot cooler, but that was a kickstarter thing that no one will ever be allowed to have evidently.

Damn economic anxiety

Uh. I think you’re being a little clickbait-y here.

There’s been a whole other bunch of mods showing at the top of the list for a while now. Besides, the mod is supposed to be to change the character for that chick that’s in the survivalist camp.

The Color of Madness releases June 19th!

The Musketeer backer-exclusive class will be available to all for free. Backers get the Color of Madness DLC as compensation. As such a backer, I approve.

That’s excellent, only a fool would complain at that outcome.

I will say the Color of Madness DLC doesn’t impress me as much as I’d hoped. I hadn’t touched the game in a very long time, but picked up the last Crimson Court and Shieldbreaker DLC but intentionally didn’t play them until Color was going to be out, but looking over the small Color DLC it doesn’t seem like it adds a lot to the game (in fact, it reads like it makes the game even harder, which I’m already leery of from the Crimson Court). Well, we will see how it turns out, I don’t have time to play it again until after the DLC is available, so by then I’m sure I’ll just grab it and give it a spin.

Hmm, wonder if it’s worth getting back into this. I played a ton in EA and then at launch, but didn’t quite finish it. I think I still have a save from the second stage of the Darkest Dungeon, after losing a whole party to a couple bad crits and realizing it was going to take substantial grinding to build up enough maxed out characters to get through the rest.

Sweet. I hate the look of the arbalest whereas the musketeer always looked awesome to me.

Plus crossbows always felt kind of weird when you obviously have gunpowder.

Ooooooooo yeeeeeeeeaaaaah!