Darkest Dungeon

I can’t decide if this is more or less dorky than me putting on my hat with a TrackIR clip.

I really want to like this, based on theme and art and concept, but the PS4 / Vita controls are atrocious. I’m juuuust barely able to play, but it’s a constant struggle.

Admittedly, one problem is that there’s just a ton of information and things to look at on each screen, and the town has a lot of screens. But that’s more a problem for how it isnt revealed or communicated well.

I’m still early, so I am slowly getting used to the controls. But I can tell they’ll never be good, even if they will become playable.

I felt the same, but I got used to it. They seem too complicated, but they make sense … how is the font size on the Vita for you?? It looks like I have an aging problem ;)

The font is too small, but then, everything is too small.

Like, while I eventually figured out how to view what buffs/debuffs are on my characters in-dungeon on accident, they’re just too tiny. There’s no way I should need to scroll through the effects on each character individually.

I would humbly recommend anyone enjoying the game on Vita and/or PS4 but not digging the controls pick it up on PC, where it’s endlessly easier to play (w/mouse) and also runs on a potato.

I got it on PC, but wanted to have it on the go… now I have to wear those stupid goggles ;)

also I turned off corpses, nice idea, makes it a tad more difficult…
also I turned off reinforcements, that was a surprise when I was keeping one enemy alive for healing my party and suddenly reinforcements came. This game is so brutal, I do not need that crap…

I did not turn on 100% retreat success chance, yet, but I am thinking about it…

I would call those default options “hard” mode, and everthing off “normal” mode…

I noticed that when you go “full darkness” it is not necessary harder, also you get more critical hits, which reduce stress and kill of enemies faster… so I almost don’t use torches anymore…

Heh. I think it’s more like your taking normal mode and making it easy mode. :)

also, how can you not be attached to a lv. 2 hero or above?? it is so hard not to be attached…

btw. is there a fail state? the dungeons seem to level up and become harder… if I lose my high level heroes, my A team, how can I come back with rookies? All dungeons are now too hard for them…

No fail state, I think. Even if you lose all heroes, you can get some new ones for free and they will get appropriately easy quests. Quests are based on your overall team level, if I remember correctly.

Finishing the game does give you a “hardcore” mode of sorts where you can fail the game.

Turning corpses off makes the game easier, BTW, since the presence of corpses keep the rear-line enemies in the rear line. When the game first entered EA, corpses weren’t included. The devs added them to increase the difficulty, but players who wanted an easier experience complained. So they added the option to turn them off.

that’s what I meant, corpses are a nice idea, but they make it a tad more difficult… I bought the game for PC when there were no corpses and found it difficult enough ;)

But this way (Vita), I can play it on the train.

I guess I could play a laptop on the train, but a touchpad vs console controls sounds like a wash.

Bah, I didn’t know this, or if I did I forgot it. That is the first thing I’ve heard that makes me want to go back and finish the grind. Fortunately a couple recent patches will keep me from jumping back in, but now I might think about it some in the future and I thought I was done with this.

I love the narrator… what are your famous lines?

mine are:

Back to the pit!!!
Ob-lib-erated!
Press the advantage!

love it

The New Game Plus mode is actually hard and also really fun. It also takes another shit-ton of time (in addition to the shit-ton of time that got you that far). I liked it, but this game as a whole is almost exactly for me.

The Shunned House by H.P. Lovecraft read by Wayne June, the narrator of DD

There are far too many to list but I always loved this one because it pretty much sums up Darkest Dungeon:
“The cost of preparedness, measured now in gold… later in blood.”

“Many fall in the face of chaos; but not this one, not today.”

As one of your characters is tested, hits resolve, goes super saiyan.

Still gradually grinding through this. I’ve beaten about 4 bosses, and my top level characters are up to level 5 I think, to give a picture of where I’m at.

One thing this has in common with Dark Souls is that I think there’s definitely a sweet spot between knowing the systems and encountering new ones where the game shines the most, but I think I’m almost past that point. Accidentally stumbling across the Collector for the first time, but having the wherewithal to beat him, is a great feeling, but now that I feel like I understand most of the systems and challenges in play, it’s losing a bit of shine.

I’m not always sure how they could improve it though. For instance, learning that you should just cut heroes loose if they’re low level and would cost more to upgrade/destress than they’re worth is cool, but eventually you realize that you can just grind through newbies and dump them any time you’re low on cash, and that removes some of the tension.

Similarly, and this is as much about my personality as it is about the game, there seem to be loadouts for various classes that are strictly better than others. I’m tempted to make a Jester type group that shuffles my own party every turn, but that just doesn’t seem like it would be as efficient as a standard tank-cannon-healer-support set. Maybe there are specific challenges later, but it seems like the abilities easily fall prey to hitting a local maximum and then just staying there forever. I guess you can self imposed challenges on later playthroughs or something. But there doesn’t seem to be a good reason to make yourself use different classes. Why would I ever use an Abomination?

There must be a way to encourage interesting gameplay combinations without simply being punishing, but it isn’t obvious to me how you’d do that, so it isn’t like I don’t appreciate the difficulties, I just kind of wish there was a little more there. Like, with Rogue Legacy for instance, each generation seemed like a larger reset button than each mission here, even if it didn’t completely reset progress at any point.

I’m nowhere near the end but feel like I have a pretty good picture of the game mechanics. Maybe there’s more there I’m not seeing, and maybe something else will come up. Im still playing and enjoying the atmosphere regardless though.