Darkest Dungeon

I think Abominations are pretty good, it’s the Arbalest that’s the crappiest class.

Abomination is a great rank 2 class. He can usually stay human from there and use his chain which is weak but stuns. Turning him is useful on bosses and harder fights and he can push himself in first rank with one of his attacks. Rake increases in damage every time you use it and is devastating on the first two ranks. He’s even more potent if you boost his attack beforehand at camp. The stress penalty is also offset as you upgrade Transform.

His real drawback is that he can’t be with Crusaders, Vestals and Lepers, pretty much the three best classes, IMHO. He can have an Occultist as team healer, though.

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/hamlet-for-the-holidays/

Of note, an upcoming core game update is RADIANT mode:

[RADIANT mode] will have balance changes and rule tweaks aimed at bringing the completion time down to approximately 40 hours. Rest assured that even in this alternate campaign ruleset, we won’t be compromising on some of the core ideas that make DD what it is (e.g. permadeath, autosaving). However, we will flex here and there on some things and generally structure it so that a reasonable investment of time and effort can see things through to the deepest parts of the Ancestor’s trail.

Hey, a mode for me! I like it - it sounds like (at 40 hours) it will be the game then I had assumed/wanted all this time!

Yeah that does sound good, but even 40 hours is probably longer than I have sadly.

You can say that again! I can’t believe I’m saying this, but this game screams for a more rogue-like(-like) approach. A short campaign lasting maybe 5-7 hours that you will fail most of the time. Seems more of a logical step to take than getting the game completion time down from 100+ to 40 hours…

Less grind is a welcome change. One of the game’s few weaknesses. DD is awesome for the first half of the ride, now maybe the whole thing!

Exactly! That’s my hope as well, I petered out after 40 or so hours, due to the crazy difficulty spikes. Maybe this new mode will lower that end-game curve a bit.

But-- but-- I put 34 hours into this before I’d had enough of the grind! Sigh. Radiant mode sounds perfect for the me that bought this game back when it left EA. It was unlikely that I was going to return to Darkest Dungeon as it stood, but this mode sounds a lot more inviting.

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/radiant-mode-dev-update/

Thanks for this Mysterio - I’ve had an urge to start a new game (the first 20 hours of DD are just about the best gaming to be had imo) for months now, and it’s great to see this is coming so soon.

Our goal for Radiant mode is to have it ready for PC/MAC/Linux release by early February, which is mere weeks away!

It is a bit of a bummer to see Radiant mode will push out the Crimson Court a bit, but I think this is the best solution. I’d rather experience Crimson Court under the Radiant system, anyway.

After the decision was made to double down and add content as part of the Radiant update, this unavoidably shifts Crimson Court date a bit, but we feel this is for the greater good of the game. A significant amount of work has already been completed for the Crimson Court, and we are estimating it will ready in April.

Yeah, Radiant mode is quite exciting.

Yeah, I’m gonna sit down and more seriously play DD when Radiant mode is out. The game is great fun but progress is a very stressful slog of carefully managing resources. A shortened game sounds much more my speed.

Hmm, wonder if it’s a good time to break out my game that stalled out on the second endgame stage.

The Hateful Virago has been spotted in the darkest reaches of the weald. Champions beware…

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/wp-content/uploads/Radiant_Virago.jpg

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/radiant-update-the-squiffy-ghast/

God damn, this is a gorgeous looking game.

This game was really cool, but it got unbearably grindy, at least for me.

I definitely plan to dive back in once the “shorter” mode is patched in.

It sounds great too, from the superlative voice acting and writing to the sound effects.

The game is great, until it isn’t, with others commenting on the grind. And if you have a problem with RNG then this game can be a real pisser.

Ditto.

Just got into this. Love the sounds, voice and the artwork. Any non-spoiler basics I should know?