Darkest Dungeon

Resist the urge to break any of the stuff around you. (snark).

Spend money early on increasing the number of heroes you can recruit at one stop to 4. (I would do this first).

It’s just a different frame of mind for a game. Your heroes, at least at low levels, are just there to be exploited. As Ultrazen said, get your stagecoach upgraded to bring in at least 4 heroes every week. Then don’t spend any money healing them. If they get massively stressed out send them back into the dungeon for one more run with very few resources, get them to grab as much loot as they can before you think they’ll die, then abandon the quest and dismiss the worthless heroes. It’s all about getting heirlooms to upgrade the town and saving up some money so when you finally get a few heroes that stick you can afford to train and equip them properly.

Until they hit resolve level 2 I wouldn’t spend a single gold piece on them. After that, different story. With the exception of grave robbers and jesters who I just refuse to lose, but you’ll probably find your own classes you can’t do without.

The one and only spoiler to seek out would be the list of which items to use on which curios. Sussing out exploration, combat tactics, and town/character management on your own is a lot of fun, but the curios are pure one-dimensional trial-and-error and memorization.

Also, you’ve got a while until this is an issue, but my advice would be to consider the game to end after the second tier of bosses.

Yeah, I’m not ashamed to admit I keep the web page up that has all the curios and the % chance of things happening based on what item you put in them on a second display and I hit it up whenever I come to one I forget. It’s not a huge deal - I actually think a better solution would be to list in-game what has happened in the past per curio when you get to them, like your characters journaling their encounters, as an on-screen reference or something, but it’s fine.

Just remember that the character you are building up is the town. Everything else is temporary/disposable/doomed to vanish.

Higher level heroes will not go into lower-level dungeons. So once a hero hits level 3, they won’t go into easy dungeons anymore. So for example, if you wait until your heroes are maxed and kitted out at level 2 before taking on one of the bosses, they will likely ding to level 3 upon beating the boss, and won’t be able to do anymore easy level bosses, because they’ll refuse to enter those dungeons.

I don’t have a great solution to this. I tend to wait until a hero is as close to max before taking on bosses anyway, but it can be an annoyance, not being able to reuse the same crew for the other bosses at the same tier.

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/radiant-update-the-hateful-virago/

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/radiant-update-community-survey-and-the-swine-skiver/

The Radiant Mode update is now live.

In beta or ready for prime time?

Out in full now.

Nice! Looks like my Fallout 4 replay has come to an end. :)

I started a new DD run last week, up to about week 12 now. I’m bouncing back and forth between just continuing now with the new changes or just starting over. I’ve been doing fairly well so far, but just going all in with the new changes and a new start sounds really good too lol.

I don’t traffic in stinking betas. :-)

Time to reinstall it, then. I hope I enjoy it better this time.

This weekend is suddenly looking a lot darker. Maybe even the darkest.

Or is it looking … quite radiant? :)

Hahaha. Good point Scott.

Does anyone have a link to a curio interaction chart that can be printed? Last time I played I was referring and clicking through web pages, but there has to be some condensed pdf or something by now.

Not very printable, but it’s something.

Man. How can I play this game more than I already do?

So far Radiant mode doesn’t seem much different than normal mode. The initial cost for things is pretty low, but I believe that always the case, and I’m still finding it takes two or three runs to upgrade another thing (and the Blacksmith going from level 1 to level 2 cost in the 30’s for one resource and 20’s for another, and that’s just for weapons - armor is the same story, so if you want to have tier 2 weapons and armor available to purchase, we’re talking many dungeon runs, which is kind of grindy yet to me).

I’m also finding myself with the same approximate amounts of cash (not much) to spend on provisions, and overall honestly while I’m enjoying my new game, I’m enjoying it as much and for the same reasons as I did previously pre-Raidant. What does this actually do? I read in the patch notes it removed the random hunger checks, which at the time I thought was a bridge too far, but in fact I’m getting hit with random hunger checks. I know I picked Radiant mode, but I’m starting to wonder if there isn’t some sort of bug making it not “work”?

In fact, looking here:
http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Blacksmith

The base game prices were even less than Radiant?! What’s going on here, I wonder?

I have this little symbol in the upper left, I assume it indicates Radiant mode?

EDIT - Oh, I see, I’m mis-remembering, it is 20/21 deeds/crests for rank 2, just like in the link - I just assumed the price to upgrade stuff would be lessened. If the prices are the same and the cost to upgrade stuff remains the same, what’s the benefit of Radiant mode?