Darkest Dungeon

In case you’re unaware, within the game, you can enable and disable whichever DLCs you like.

I did figure that was the case, but why buy it then?

EDIT - Oh, you are probably referring to the Switch version being able to disable what I don’t want on that edition. Yeah, that’s a good point.

If you don’t like the game with the CC DLC enabled, you can just disable it for future games. It sounded like you were concerned with being stuck with the CC DLC, regardless of whether or not you liked it.

As an aside, I appreciate that the game allows for DLC within the game to be enabled/disabled instead of having to use the Steam Library.

I think the Switch version should come with a Mario skin for the Crusader.

Sold.

I’ve been waiting expectantly for this, but now I noticed that you can get the cross-buy version of Crimson Court for PS4/Vita for $15 until next week. If you have PS+, like me, you could get the base game and the two DLC for both a mobile and console platform for $16, instead of the $39 for it on the hybrid Switch. But it’s one shared instance of the game on the Switch instead of two different instances on the PS4/Vita.

Decisions, decisions…

I played the hell out of this in Beta. Then again when it was released. Now I have it on my iPad. Yes it can get grindy and tedious, but it is fraught with tension, enough interesting choices and consequences that mesh with what I like in gaming. I have never finished it, but I have probably put 100 hours into it across my multiple plays.

I’ll certainly give them money money for DLC.

The switch is infinitely better for mobile gaming than the Vita though.

I know, that’s the trouble. :) Money vs. best experience. I love my Vita, but if it weren’t for the crossbuy and the sale and the bundle, it wouldn’t even be an option. That’s even after realizing that I could transfer saves between the two instances (if not to the PS4 version, then to my PSTV so I could still play it on the big screen whenever I want).

I’m still probably going to get it for the Switch if the interface isn’t horrible.

So ready. I think this and Battle Chasers are my most wanted titles right now.

The Switch release is tomorrow and I look forward to my double dip. I actually stopped playing before I got too far in the PC release as I knew that I’d enjoy it more in a portable format (then thinking iPad or Vita, but then deciding Swich was THE choice, but still hoping for a UI/text review on the system before release).

Anyway, as such I missed out on conversations about DLC and the patched radiant mode.

How do folks feel about or rate the DLCs and modes? I am a bit worried of the massive grind. I mean, I like grind, but it sounds like vanilla Darkest Dungeon got really nuts (50 to a 100 hours with content wholly repeated by hour 20…ouch). Should I go for Radiant mode on my first game?

I’ve asked this before, but I’m hoping something has changed; is there any easily digestible or printable version of the different interactables available? Last time folks pointed to the wiki, but it seemed slow and needlessly graphic heavy (when I last looked at it). I’m just looking for a quick memory prompter for ‘books plus touch do this, web plus torch do that’ sort of thing.

Thanks all. I’m looking forward to finally digging in deep (into madness).

I would definitely go with Radiant mode. I don’t know about a printable guide to interactables, though. I just muck about with them and try to remember when I get a positive interaction.

I think the game now remembers what curio interactions you’ve tried? Wasn’t that in one of the latest updates?

You bring up a great point, the UI should be easy and intuitive. I found someone on YouTube play the first 15 minutes of the game and it looks like it’s going to work fine. Not as good as mouse imo, but totally inoffensive I think. I took a few pics to show what I noticed, but here is the video:

This is the only one I’m not sure about - I don’t want to have to use the touch interface, so I’m hoping this is just an optional way to scroll rather than moving the “cursor” over to the menu and using up/down?

This seemed like a nice touch.

Combat and interactions seem like they will be easy. Simply cursor over an item and hit X to collect it, or A to take All and B to close (or in the case of interacting, A to interact with a curio, and B to ignore, I assume).

For Combat, looks like you flick the (left?) stick left/right and then hit A on the highlighted ability to use, and then select a target and off you go.

Should work out pretty well, I think?

This would be awesome, it wasn’t in when I played last but that was pre-Vampire Court, so if you are correct it’s an amazing change.

Yes, the game now provides feedback to the player with regards to items used on curios. I’m not saying the designers took my July suggestion to heart, but what they implemented is similar to my alternative suggestion. :-)

Oh! If the game remembers what curio combinations I’ve tried…I prefer that so I can experiment, but not be punished for long breaks from playing.

@Scotch_Lufkin Thanks! I was looking for just that sort of thing yesterday, but came up empty. I’ll take a look. In the few Switch games I have that have touch controls, I like the option in portable mode, but prefer a slick interface. I’m mostly hoping that the sticks and context limiting can simulate mouse movement well enough. I’ve read nasty things over time of DD not porting well in regards to text legibility too, so that is a concern.

More thoughts on Crimson Court, Shield breaker, and radiant (or moon I guess) mode? I don’t think there will be a bundle option, but I’m considering grabbing it all an finally going for the deep dive. I did read some feedback elsewhere that Radiant mode, while faster, can back the player into a corner as they progress too fast without building up resources leaving them unprepared for where they are in the game (potentially). I have no idea if this is a fair statement.

Touch has to be optional, or we won’t be able to play in docked mode.

I’ve never tried Radiant mode, because I enjoy the grind and management. Plus, I like crying!

I’m loving The Crimson Court DLC, because it’s made the game more difficult, and added a communicable disease whose spread and effects must be managed (“Blooooood!”). It also adds Districts (new stuff to add to the Hamlet), a new hero class, plus more. Easily worth $10.

The Shield Breaker DLC adds that hero class and new combat mechanics (Armor Piercing, Guard Break, and Stealth), plus a few other things. If you want more options for party composition and additional combat mechanics, it’s worth it for $4.

The game punishes you for winning too much and forces you to fail no matter what difficulty you’re on. It’s probably just easier to make that happen in Radiant because it’s easier to win level-appropriate content.

Thanks again for the video. I watched and it looks like the UI is pretty slick actually. I see no issue with text size. Maybe they learned from the iPad and Vita versions. The touch controls could be a nice option too. I just soooo like the idea of bingeing in front of the TV or playing a random mission on the go in a game like this. I think this might be the definitive edition. I also sort of can’t believe I am playing this game on a Nintendo product. Or that the Switch has become my favorite console by far. Is this how I slip into madness?

@Mysterio Ok, I think you convinced me to go all in. Question though (for you or others): if you were to start all over again in Darkest Dungeon, would you start with the DLC activated or do a run without it to learn the vanilla features and combos better? I guess that is sort of like an Xcom question. It almost always seems like the product is better post DLC, but I know some games get too fiddly or daunting if all the extras are tacked on from the start.