Darkest Dungeon

I played this a while ago on the PS4, and I got it again for the Switch and have been playing it more. I think the last time I played, I got too attached to some of my original guys, who survived for a really long time, so when some bad luck resulted in them dying it was pretty disheartening.

This time, my party almost wiped pretty early on, so now it’s like, “Whatevs, chums! You guys are all going in the pit, and some of you ain’t coming back!”

The most successful party I’ve run, I think, is:
Jester/Occultist/Bountyhunter/Bountyhunter

This group seemed like it worked well. One of the BH’s has the mark target skill, the other has the hook skill… And the occultist can also mark targets. Once something gets marked, the two BH’s can just crush it with their skill that gives like +90% against marked targets.

The Occultist can heal folks well (although it’s annoying when you get a 0 point heal that makes the target bleed). The Jester can easily keep everyone’s stress down. The Jester’s offensive contribution is pretty minimal, although he does buff everyone, and he does have the power to lay down one truly massive hit against a target with a Solo/Finale combo. (After a few rounds, the damage ends up being like +200% or something crazy)

Alternatively, I also swapped out the BH’s for a Highwayman/Shieldbreaker, who can run move combos, where the Highwayman can just constantly dump point blank shots on guys, with the SB doing asp’s kiss. It worked pretty well, although perhaps less dominating as the BH’s felt.

How is the ios version? I have the steam version but never play it, and an ipad pro that I might play it on more regularly.

So the top mod for this, or at least the first one shown to me, appears to be an Arbalest mod that just changes her skin white.

One dark skinned character, and they had to do special work to make her white. They just couldn’t bear it. Couldn’t bear having one dark skinned person in their party. I hate gamers.

That’s pretty shitty. I mean I hate the Arbalest from an aesthetic angle, but it isn’t the skin color.

I’d honestly pay cash money to switch to the musketeer who looks a hell of a lot cooler, but that was a kickstarter thing that no one will ever be allowed to have evidently.

Damn economic anxiety

Uh. I think you’re being a little clickbait-y here.

There’s been a whole other bunch of mods showing at the top of the list for a while now. Besides, the mod is supposed to be to change the character for that chick that’s in the survivalist camp.

The Color of Madness releases June 19th!

The Musketeer backer-exclusive class will be available to all for free. Backers get the Color of Madness DLC as compensation. As such a backer, I approve.

That’s excellent, only a fool would complain at that outcome.

I will say the Color of Madness DLC doesn’t impress me as much as I’d hoped. I hadn’t touched the game in a very long time, but picked up the last Crimson Court and Shieldbreaker DLC but intentionally didn’t play them until Color was going to be out, but looking over the small Color DLC it doesn’t seem like it adds a lot to the game (in fact, it reads like it makes the game even harder, which I’m already leery of from the Crimson Court). Well, we will see how it turns out, I don’t have time to play it again until after the DLC is available, so by then I’m sure I’ll just grab it and give it a spin.

Hmm, wonder if it’s worth getting back into this. I played a ton in EA and then at launch, but didn’t quite finish it. I think I still have a save from the second stage of the Darkest Dungeon, after losing a whole party to a couple bad crits and realizing it was going to take substantial grinding to build up enough maxed out characters to get through the rest.

Sweet. I hate the look of the arbalest whereas the musketeer always looked awesome to me.

Plus crossbows always felt kind of weird when you obviously have gunpowder.

Ooooooooo yeeeeeeeeaaaaah!

Me like.

Edit: I love that narrator’s voice.

I own this on PC but the prospect of playing it on the Switch is enough to make me possibly double dip while it’s discounted. Are there any major differences content and control wise?

I read the Colour Out of Space to put myself in the mood. It’s similar… except for the endless horde mode.

Content - the same unless (like me) you played it on the PC before the expansions. Crimson Court is a difficulty increase, especially the first time you play it and don’t know to plan around what’s coming.

Control wise - it actually works pretty well on the Switch, but mouse is definitely better. There are a couple of things that are just easier to handle via touch, so I prefer it mobile to TV, if that’s a concern.

I did the same thing with the double dip. I find the Switch a superior platform for it with flexibility of play time, location, and pausing. At present it has the exact same content available. I don’t know if Color of Madness is planned or if there will be a delay in release for the Switch.

Ah, excellent. Thanks @Kyrios and @Chaplin! Yes, the touchscreen seems like the perfect alternative in the absence of a mouse.

Core Game Balance Patch (37 pages of patch notes!) coming tomorrow with the release of the new DLC. Impressive!

Goodness. That’s a lot of changes! They seem overall pretty sharp changes to me, but I haven’t played since the Radiant update came out. I grabbed Crimson Court and Shieldbreaker at some point but haven’t wanted to dive in until the next DLC hits, which since it’s tomorrow I guess is when I’ll dive back in.

I love DD but I can never have fun once I get to the Veteran and Champion level dungeons. The regular fights never get “easy” like the first two tiers do, not for me at any rate even with a max level party, which is when I start to lose interest. But I’ll have a blast getting to that point, so it sounds like it’s time for my fourth play through tomorrow!