Darkest Dungeon

I think it makes it better.

If anything the balance feels better to me. Sure there are spikes to some extent, but so far it’s a lot smoother overall.

Plus more stuff is fun in this kind of thing anyway.

That said the Baron is giving me a hard time for some reason this time around, but it’s nothing I wont tackle, I just need some upgraded guys to do it I think (and not have my freaking Leper miss literally every single round until we lost, he missed his attacks, with +18 to hit mind you, 8 times in a row).

I was initially worried because the reviews made it seem like the Crimson Court made the game harder, but I find managing adventurers with the curse can be entertaining and useful as when under blood lust they become badass. Also, the trinkets you can find from the Court runs are just amazingly powerful. In the end, I think (and I see ShivaX just beat me to the punch) the game actually feels better and more interesting with this hook in it than not.

OK sounds good. I guess I should make sure this runs on my laptop before I buy the DLC, but I can’t imagine it would have trouble.

@robc04 DD runs fine on my Dell Latitude 5490, FWIW.

Thanks. A quick dip into the game with an existing save seemed fine on my Dell Latitude E5540.

I think they toned the Crimson Court down a few notches after it first came out, so that may be why it’s easier now.

That would make sense, it seems a little easier than everyone was saying. Not “easy” of course, but I’m not finding it more (or less) of a challenge than other content my characters are running through.

It’s one of the most nicely behaving games. Not only does it run smoothly and doesn’t overheat, it also never crashes. They really did a great job on all that front.

I’m still on the fence. DD is on sale again for the PS Vita. I like the design but I’m a little afraid of endless grinding. How good is this game to play in short burst without putting endless hours into learning how to maximize the effect of your party?

The good news is that it’s excellent to play in short bursts since you can just fire it up and do a run and stop when you get back to town. That takes anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour depending on if the mission is short/medium/long (you pick).

There’s no denying that there’s grind involved but if you like the game play it’s a somewhat fun grind.

Except when it isn’t. I’m playing the vanilla version and recently I’m having some problems.

1. Occasionally the game won’t let me recruit one of the vestals to go dungeoneering. When I click on her image I can’t drag her into the active party. She is not on a walkabout or in any kind of treatment. She just won’t move.

2. A few of the characters can’t upgrade certain skills or weapons/armor. I drag the character to the Guild or Weaponsmith and I have all the requisite bits to allow for upgrades and the icon for allowable upgrade is highlighted and the tooltip appears. But when I click on the icon to pay for the upgrade it does not respond. The other icons behave properly, but one or two won’t.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this? I closed the game to the main menu and closed it to desktop and when I reload the problems persist.

I played it on the Vita and really enjoyed it. I always played in short bursts and didn’t get too caught up in gear details and had a lot of fun.

It does take a little bit to get used to the UI but it wasn’t bad after a dungeon run or two.

Dramatic update: there is now an ® next to the name of the game in my Steam library. First game that does that.

So I’m not the only one experiencing this. Here is what Red Hook Support has had to say on this.

"We aren’t currently sure why this mouse dead-zone problem is happening, but we’re investigating and will let you know if we learn more.

If you are playing through Steam, could you try briefly playing the game through the “_windowsnosteam” .exe (if applicable) and seeing if the dead-zone is present there as well? Be aware that this may use a different set of save files, so your campaigns list may be empty through this .exe. Your existing campaigns will be available again when you go back to launching through Steam. The default location for this .exe is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DarkestDungeon_windowsnosteam\Darkest.exe

We’re continuing to investigate, but some users have reported that simply alt-tabbing out of the game fixes the problem for them as well. That may be usable as a workaround until we are able to fix the root of the problem."

I’ve tried changing resolution, windowed mode and their other suggestions to no avail.

So I’ve uninstalled DD until this gets fixed.

I tried to play yesterday, noticed that when trying to select certain enemies had to click the head or it wouldn’t register. Also, when trying to “x” out of a popup it wouldn’t work. Had to use escape. I assumed it was my laptop (it is pretty old).

Same issue I wonder?

Yes. I’ve experienced these two issues as well.

I need a sanity check. Prior to the release of the Color of Madness DLC, when a hero refused to stop treatment in the Abbey or Tavern, the player wasn’t able to manually cancel the hero’s treatment. Am I remembering correctly? I ask, because I started my first game last night since CoM dropped, and two of my heroes (both in the Abbey) refused to stop treatment, but I was still able to cancel their treatment on the Abbey screen, making them available for questing.

That sounds like a bug.

I fired this up to play something different. A played a little a couple months ago. I think I like the idea of Darkest Dungeon a bit more than I like the game itself. Mostly because I want to remember too many of the details and feel like I need to take notes. I want to remember what I fought in each dungeon, what their strengths and weaknesses were, what curious are found there, etc. I want to plan for my dungeon excursions.

My memory is crap about these things. The enemies list their attacks when you discover them which is nice, but I want to remember what position they make them from, how much damage they do, etc… At least the attacks list their special effects.

So most of my problems are mostly due to what I’m bad at, remembering things.

Do we have any Red Hook devs on this forum?