Darkest Dungeon

Probably one of the nicer things i’ve been called, and certainly is one of the better ped-related accusations. So, thank you sir!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1162110258/darkest-dungeon-the-board-game/description

my, we’ve certainly come a long way since 'bank error in your favor!"

Once again I’m in that place of ‘I really want to play a new game but I don’t have the time to invest in learning a new game’ so I then reinstall a game I know. Using the Radiant version I’m nine days in and inadvertently took on the Sonorous Prophet. I say inadvertent because I was planning to do a short Warrens run but had been considering taking on the prophet but neglected to change from that mission to the Warrens mission before embarking.

So I had the wrong load out with apprentice vestal, graverobber, bounty hunter and hellion. Too early in the game to have upgraded any of their skills or gear. But I thought what the heck, let’s try this. And early in the dungeon I located a secret room and then there was no turning back. I’m rusty at the game and was never very good to begin with, but this fight came down to the wire.

Because this crew was not constructed to all hit the back row, they had to whittle away at the prophet and chop through the pews. The vestal was the first to fall, then the bounty hunter then the hellion. The graverobber was at death’s door with no HP, but the Prophet was down to 3 HP and had like 8 HP of stacked blight and bleed damage. So it came down to which one rolled initiative and the graverobber won and lived to tell the tale.

Moments like that keep me hooked until I rage quit. Love to hate this game.

I have a couple of level 4-6 heroes … took me some time to get there. I fear to play on and to lose them. Maybe I should try radiant mode at some point.

Radiant mode is slightly less grind, IMO.

I learned the hard way that a more successful strategy is to focus initially on building out the infrastructure of the hamlet and until that is done my seekers are all just disposable mules that go below to haul back the crests, deeds, portraits, etc necessary to upgrade the facilities. I don’t spend much on the seekers early game, and I dismiss ones that build up too many negative quirks.

Once the hamlet is sufficiently upgraded I then start to invest in the teams necessary to take out higher level bosses and spending money to repair and upgrade seekers. It is at that point that I get frustrated that I’m losing those seekers [usually to my carelessness] and I rage quit, take a break and a few months later I come back to the game.

I got this free on epic, but it of course did not include the DLC. Ancestral Edition is $8 on PSN right now. What’s the consensus on how necessary the DLC is? Crimson Court looks cool (never enough vampires).

None of the DLC is necessary, and for someone new to game I would recommend playing without DLC even if you have it until you have a handle on the game systems.

Yeah, Crimson Court adds some cool stuff but also adds one mechanic in particular that is more than a little bit infuriating. I liked it and thought it was worth it but frankly the base game is a better design on its own, and if I hadn’t played a hundred hours with it already I’d just as well have gone without the DLC.

All right, cool, I’ll skip em then.

Here’s the thing: Crimson Court will just kill you, and it won’t feel bad about it, either. I see it as a way for experts to test their mettle. The new character is good independently, though, as are the districts for the Hamlet.

I installed mods specifically to cut down on the grind. In the late game I don’t want to have to grind so one of the mods is being able to just recruit max level champs instead of having to get mid level ones and grind them up to max.

I finished the game without mods already so I don’t got time for that. But actually, I find the game to be not very hard after a while outside of some boss fights so the grinding is really just a time tax AKA way to pad your game. In the beginning there’s this trick to make the game seem harder than it really is.

Even the base game, though. I’ve gone on I think two, maybe three expeditions, the last of which I retreated from because a character got killed early on, and I’ve already had two people with afflictions. Absolutely brutal.

Anyone here playing on Switch? If so, do you know how to view the details of a trinket without using the touchscreen? I can equip them and sell them fine, but can’t see what they actually do without tapping on the screen.

Oh ya, do not get attached to anyone lower than level 5. I mean, don’t get attached to anyone period, but you’ll probably find that you cant help but get attached to someone who’s been around till level 5.

I remember that feeling when i lost my first bona-fide “A” team. Not just a guy, like the whole team. I just sat there with my mouth agape for a bit. The “B” team was like 3s, a couple of fours and one A-team alternate whose lucky day off saved his life. I couldn’t even touch A-team content for a while. But from that horror, i built better teams and ultimately prevailed. That feeling at the end was stronger because of those struggles.

Ah, week 61, you thieving bastard…

Figured it out–you hold down ZL while the trinket is highlighted.

If anyone might have an idea I’m stuck. I’m on iPad and I can’t figure out how to re-order my lineup in the middle of the dungeon. I think I did it once by accident but I can’t figure out how to do it again. Right now my plague doctor is in front and my knight is in the back.

Should move people around if they’re selected.

I want to say there is a way to revert to the order you had when you started the run as well, but I forget it.
Or possibly imagined it.

Thank you. I’m having a lot of trouble with the touch controls. So if I have some guy that are going to cost a lot to fix early on cause they have a lot of very bad traits should I just ditch them?

Usually.

DD is all about churn. If you have a merc that’s bad generally you fire them or throw them into a D-team run where everyone is probably going to die and then fire them afterwards.

I’m far from an expert though.