Darkest Dungeon

The variety of quests offered depends on your available characters. As they level up you start getting higher difficulty quests, but as long as you also have low level characters easier quests continue to show up (and higher characters refuse to go on low level quests). The numbers and red bars on the screen show how many bosses you unlocked, so for the Cove you don’t have a shot at a boss yet, until you do more quests there and the bar fills up.

Districts are intended to be a way to spend heirlooms once you finish upgrading the main buildings. Focus on town upgrades.

Ok thanks, that helps a lot!

I wanted to ask about stress in the game again. Stress is the little white squares at the bottom right? So when it gets all empty squares it’s one thing and then when it’s all solid white it’s another worse level? Is that how it works?

One thing that confuses me is when I take someone who can (in battle) lower stress by 5, but when I do that, I never actually see the white squares go down. Are they supposed to?

The squares each represent more than one stress point. The characters have a numerical stress meter, too, do you never see that go down?

A numerical one too? All I’ve ever seen is the little white squares along the bottom. Not sure if it’s an iPad thing?

Each of the black squares represents ten stress. When it gets to 100, get a resolve test, which usually makes the character Afflicted (bad), but sometime instead makes them Virtuous (good). At level higher than 100, the squares get filled, until it reaches 200 (very, very bad).

The tooltip on the stress bar show the exact number, but again I’m not sure if it works the same on a touch screen.

After my last run I got this message for the week but I’m not sure what it’s trying to tell me. Is that a bonus I get for free for doing a new mission? Or am I supposed to find that mission somewhere? Nothing seems to match it.

It should show up as one of the quests on the embark screen. Like all boss fights, it should be approached with caution.

Ohhh thank you, I was looking in the wrong place. I will have to avoid it as it’s level 5.

By the way, that really is a lot of gold you’re hoarding in there. At this point maybe you can afford to splurge on upgrading heroes you like, and locking in useful positive quirks (in the sanitarium), even if they are still on “easily expendable” list.

The action in this thread convinced me to reinstall and do a Radiant campaign. Second run in and hello Collector. Was unable to stun it before it spawned its minions and soon after my party was no more.

And, uninstalled once more. Love to hate this game 🤦‍♂️

Locking in useful positive traits? Do I get to choose, or do you mean just saving people who have good traits?

Do you know what place is best to find portraits? I’ve had no luck acquiring them and need enough for the bank (25 more).

Characters can acquire a lot of traits over the course of the game, but only have room for five positive and five negative. Getting a sixth trait will replace one of the previous. So if you get a trait you want to keep, send the character to the sanitarium and pay to lock it in so it won’t be overridden.

As far as I know, the distribution of heirlooms is random, but you can try and go for quests that offer portraits as a reward. Never even noticed the bank is so cheap, I always thought of districts as a late game feature.

Thanks for telling me about locking traits. I don’t think I would have ever picked up on that.

Yea the bank isn’t bad at all except trying to get those all those portraits.

I haven’t quite figured this out yet, but when your character levels up, do they get more hit points or other innate bonuses? Or does leveling up just allow you to outfit them with better armor, weapons, and new skills?

They each increase a set amount in certain attributes (I believe all but Protection and Accuracy) at each level. Look under the portrait at this link to see how the Vestal’s stats increase:

Wait, I’m sorry, that’s wrong. It only increases from the equipment (but the levels allow you to upgrade the equipment, so you basically had it right).

Despite what the wiki says, I think it only resistances are inherently improved by level. The numbers under Base Stats are only improved by equipment (and quirk).

So HP never increases then?

Yeah, I thought that sounded wrong and edited if while you were responding.

And then accuracy and protection cannot be improved by equipment at all, only with quirks and trinkets.

HP is tied to armor upgrades.

By the way, how is your game going? Did you get into any interesting fights, did you notice the Plague Doctor is a woman, did you stick a torch where you were warned not to stick torches?

I did not know that about the plague doctor! I have not stuck a torch where one does not go, but now I will be on the watch!

I did something that really infuriated me. I needed 10 more portraits and was going to do an exchange, but I read it backwards, so I ended up exchanging portraits for stuff I didn’t need putting the bank out of reach. I literally wasted a whole days of quests from that screw up. I wanted to throw my iPad out the window lol.

I’m trying lots of combos of people and skills, but I still can’t beat the simplest boss. Swine Prince and Wizened Hag just murder me. Could you give me some tips to dealing with them? It’s hard cause things are dicey by the time I get to them, and then I don’t seem to have the right synergy to take them out. I’m still doing a lot of “direct hit” and “heal” for every move, and not using a lot of buffs, debuffs stuns etc.