Darklands

This has to be one of my all time favorites but I can’t find a copy anywhere. Any thoughts as to where it might be available? I looked at ebay and there was a CD-ROM copy available for 40$ but that seems a little steep. The website www.ultimatedarklands.com used to sell the game but that site had some problems.

I know it was in some CDROM bundles or something. Any other thoughts of where to get hard to find games? Thanks.

I also just want to say it again for the hell of it. This is still the best CRPG I’ve ever played. All you “young’ins” don’t know what you missed. The graphics are extremely rough these days but the content was unbelievable.

You’d just have to be lucky and find some store that does a crappy job of selling product and still has a copy. I find that the small computer stores often have odd selections of software for sale, including a few games now and then. As I mentioned in another thread, I recently saw a shrinkwrapped copy of Terra Nova for sale for $5 at a used computer store.

Thanks. Anyone here in the New York City area or Upstate New York area that knows of a store like what Mark was describing? Thanks.

Um, eBay? I’m not trying to be insulting, but why look anywhere else for an old game? You can find copies of pretty much every game every released for any platform there. And there are at least three copies of Darklands available as of right now. Seems to be a pretty pricey game, though, as the one that’s up in nine hours is over $30 US.

Yeah, but they run $30+ each! Maybe I should dig my copy out of the garage…

Yeah, but they run $30+ each! Maybe I should dig my copy out of the garage…[/quote]

Mainly the cost. The website www.ultimatedarklands.com used to offer them for 20$ before they took down most of their info. With some of the EBay items, they set the minimum bid at 35-40$ (which seems a little steep). My original post mentions why I was looking for alternatives to ebay. I’m not looking for an uber-mint shrinkwrapped copy which is why the ultimatedarklands offer was good.

I found a copy of the PS X-COM for $3.99 at EB and one’s selling for over $40 on eBay. Ha!

There’s one copy of Darklands on eBay that is still asking $5. It will probably get to $30 or so though, Darklands is both popular and hard to find.

It’d be nice if whoever owned the rights to the code would port it to Win32, they’d make a nice bit of cash based on the demand.

(I actually have a CD of it, but no manual, sadly.)

psst
http://gamingdepot.com/g/Darklands/

I’m not a warez kid or anything, I assume it’s okay to post a link since this game is abandonware now, yes?

EDIT: Also some patches and install help here:
http://www.darklands.net/files/files.shtml
Not that I’ve tried any of it yet.

That link doesn’t work in Firebird, and it crashes IE. It’s also full of pop-ups and spyware (GAIN, etc).

Yeah, it’s a nasty little page, but the file is there – the way its coded you have to click “D” in the top menu and then click the name again (think its an iframe or div or something).

I’m sure the same file is in 100 other places, including p2p networks, as well.

Here:
http://www.gamingdepot.com/files/games/Darklands/Darklands.zip

thanks for the link. I actually did see that earlier and I may check it out but I would definitely like to buy a copy. As for the ebay for 5$, I think that’s for the 5.25 floppies… might be worth just getting the disks, finding a drive somewhere, and buring it all to disk.

The IP to this is still actively owned by whoever bought out the Microprose license stuff…wasn’t that Hasbro=>Infogrames=Atari?

“Abandonware” is a pleasant fiction that people use to ease their conscience when they’re not willing to buy a legal copy for $30 bucks on eBay.

Does it even work on XP? I mean, it was a fantastic game, even though after nine patches or so it still wasn’t completely cured of its bug infestation (virtually unplayable for the first few patches). I loved the atmosphere and the combat, and I still think few if any PC RPGs since then have done as well in some areas. But I doubt it would work on my machine, and I’m not about to dig up an old DOS box just for it. :)

On Ebay, don’t forget to check “titles and descriptions”. If you aren’t fussy about the original box and manual and stuff, you can often find Darklands in a compilation pack for a very low price.

Troy

To TheWombat… apparently there are ways to get it to work with XP. I agree that the patches were unbelievably necessary.

To TSG, thanks. I didn’t think to check descriptions so I never got the action packs listed. Very nice, thanks again.

I wasn’t implying there was some legal justification, simply a moral one – your money on your ebay purchase is not going to any developers, designers, or publishers, either.

If Atari wanted to put some lawyers on it, I’m sure they’d be well within their rights to cease and desist it right up. Considering they previously apparently gave distribution rights to “ultimatedarklands.net”, I’m pretty sure that’s not going to happen.

This game rocked. I’d love to see the setting redone. I was hoping Lionheart would sort of feel the same. Alas.

olaf

I wasn’t implying there was some legal justification, simply a moral one – your money on your ebay purchase is not going to any developers, designers, or publishers, either.

If Atari wanted to put some lawyers on it, I’m sure they’d be well within their rights to cease and desist it right up. Considering they previously apparently gave distribution rights to “ultimatedarklands.net”, I’m pretty sure that’s not going to happen.[/quote]

It was the implied “moral justification” that I was criticizing. That’s why I mentioned “conscience.”

There’s also nothing legally or morally wrong with transferring your license since you do not retain the use of the product.

I agree with your latter statement (duh, who wouldn’t?), I simply meant your money isn’t going to anyone who actually put any work into the game.

More importantly, I disagree with your first, I thought you meant that you believe abandonware was a legal fiction, which it certainly is. However, it seems you’re saying its a moral fiction – which is, um, pretty subjective. I don’t see the moral wrong with most so-called abandonware, just the legal one. Conscience doesn’t even enter into it, anymore than it does when I jaywalk on a street with no cars.